Foot Pain...

Options
Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
Yesterday when I went to the gym and used the Arc Trainer(it's almost like the epliptical but it's more of an up and down motion) the middle of my foot started hurting. I almost got off at 10 minutes because it was really starting to hurt but I pushed my way through it to finish and towards the end it started to get better. This isn't the first time thats happend. What could be causing that? I don't stretch before or anything could that be it? But it's the middle of my foot. ughh I just hope it doesnt do that today. Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• Hopeful4757
    Hopeful4757 Posts: 138
    Options
    That just happened to me too, with the middle of my foot hurting. I realized it was only when I wore a certain pair of gym shoes. I got a new pair - problem solved.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes! And it is because you didn't stretch. I thought I was getting some kind of arthritis or something lol it hurt so bad. Just do some foot stretched. Especially on that machine because you're putting so much into that muscle for movement. It's really just a bad cramp and it will work itself out like any other cramp, but I know the feeling. Do some stretching and concentrate on your feet. Those are sometimes the muscles we forget about. Good luck!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    Yes! And it is because you didn't stretch. I thought I was getting some kind of arthritis or something lol it hurt so bad. Just do some foot stretched. Especially on that machine because you're putting so much into that muscle for movement. It's really just a bad cramp and it will work itself out like any other cramp, but I know the feeling. Do some stretching and concentrate on your feet. Those are sometimes the muscles we forget about. Good luck!

What kind of stretches can I do for my feet lol
  • Haismais
    Haismais Posts: 26
    Options
    Amother problem could be your shoelaces putting pressure on the nerves across the top of your foot. If it continues to bother you try loosening the laces in the middle of the shoe. You can also undo the laces and re-lace them skipping the middle portion of your foot. Lace at the toe and the top of your foot. Runner's world may have a diagram for you to follow.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    Its the bottom of my foot
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    The tendons that run down the back of your leg run under your heel and attach to your arch. So anything that stretches your calf and achilles tendon will help to stretch out your foot.
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Sounds like classic plantar fasciitis. It's common when you don't wear shoes that support your arches. See if you can visit a physical therapist to get a free evaluation. If that's what it is, you'll need rest, maybe PT, and definitely better foot wear.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    Theres a better way to describe it lol its the ARCH. hmmm so Ill try stretching my calfs and maybe look into getting some new kicks. But my shoes are fairly new.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You may be wearing the wrong kind of shoe, though. Try shoes specifically for walking or running - and make sure you figure out what kind of pronator/runner you are so you can find the perfect shoe... because the padding will determine a lot. Then for a few weeks, your feet may go numb doing your basic exercises but it's just because the shoe hasn't conformed to your foot yet.
  • sonjavon
    Options
    Theres a better way to describe it lol its the ARCH. hmmm so Ill try stretching my calfs and maybe look into getting some new kicks. But my shoes are fairly new.

I will tell you that if the pain continues - you won't CARE that your shoes are new... lol. I've been in that kind of pain (I have plantar fasciitis) and it can be debiliating if you let it go too far. I just bought a pair of the Dr. Scholls toning walking shoes and I have to tell you that they are THE BEST thing I have done for my feet in years. They help to stretch everything out and I can actually get out of bed in the mornings without having to limp to the bathroom!

A couple of other suggestions... grab a tennis ball, put it under your arch and roll your foot over the tennis ball... that'll help massage it as well as stretch it. Take a water bottle, fill it with water and freeze it... when your foot is sore, (arch and heel) - put the bottle on the floor and roll your foot over it. When you get up in the morning - before getting out of bed - write the alphabet with your toes... that starts warming up your muscles before you get out of bed.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    You may be wearing the wrong kind of shoe, though. Try shoes specifically for walking or running - and make sure you figure out what kind of pronator/runner you are so you can find the perfect shoe... because the padding will determine a lot. Then for a few weeks, your feet may go numb doing your basic exercises but it's just because the shoe hasn't conformed to your foot yet.

how do i find out what kind of runner i am?
  • momofclaire
    momofclaire Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sound like Plantar Fasciaitis (spelling?) Ask your doc. Not much they can do for that unless you want cortisone injections. Mine flares up but then backs off for long periods of time. Good Luck!
  • sonjavon
    Options
    Do you have a local runners store? Go in and ask them to do a foot analysis. They'll watch you stand, walk and jog... then they'll make shoe recommendations for you. They'll tell you whether you pronate or supinate.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    Do you have a local runners store? Go in and ask them to do a foot analysis. They'll watch you stand, walk and jog... then they'll make shoe recommendations for you. They'll tell you whether you pronate or supinate.

pronate or supinate..i dont know what that means lol
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    I have worked through plantar faciatis this way. Sit upright on floor with vertabrae stacked legs out front and straight, point toes down and extend them away from you and hold, then pull towards you and flex. Another excercise that works the feet and the front tendon is this same excercise but place the base of your toes under the edge of a heavy couch and extend them up as if you are lifting the couch It helps to apply pressure and focuses the movement to the afflicted tendons. Then after your workouts take a frozen bottle of water and roll your feet with a lot of pressure over the bottle. If you are applyng the right amount of pressure it actually really hurts at the time but truly works. Do this through out the day when you can. It really works and imitates a deep tissue massage! If it persists you should avoid all activity that exacerbates the issue, like pounding excercises but you can easily excercise. It has never stopped me from getting a great workout just with a little modification! (And I'm a sissy)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

pronate or supinate..i dont know what that means lol
    Here's a great site that explains the two: http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/pronation-supination.php

I got my last set of shoes at a New Balance that had people there to size my foot properly and watch me walk, and match me up with shoes for running based on the distance I would do and gave me inserts for my arches (I pronate).

Shoes do make a difference because my current set of shoes are asics and they're awesome! HUGE difference from the New Balance; I feel like I can fly in them!
  • sonjavon
    Options
    Pronate means you roll your foot inward and supinate means you roll your foot out.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to replace your shoes, you can get new insoles for them. Running stores should be able to suggest some insoles that will give you better arch support if it turns out that's what you need. I had a pair of shoes that was killing my feet, and got some new soles for $35-- definitely cheaper than getting a whole new pair!
  • OctoberBabe
    OctoberBabe Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    good information....bump for later......:)