Meat Portions

Options
Obviously not all factors can be factored in every time (e.g., a 5'3" 123-lb. female's meat portion will differ from that of a 6' 170-lb. male), but is there a general rule of thumb to follow when determining meat portions? Chicken seems to be 3-4 oz., salmon 6 oz. for women, 8 oz. for men. What of beef? Other fish? And can anyone vouch for the accuracy of these estimates?

Ideally someone will have created a graphical Meat Portions chart for reference, but if such a cheat sheet exists I haven't found it -- Googling largely produces results from people inquiring about how much meat to serve at parties; not really what I'm after.

Replies

• mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    *bump* Anyone? Carnivores?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. My wife cooks our meat in bulk, because it's about all we eat other than bars, shakes, etc. As such, I just grab a container, weigh out whatever I feel like eating, and plug that into my diary. I'll generally eat 8-12 ounces of whatever meat I happen to be eating at the time, but occasional bouts of 16 ounces happen from time to time.

Oh yeah, and when I am eating 99/1 ground turkey, I just eat the entire 20 oz. container.
  • leanhulk
    Options
    depends on your macros... fat/carbs/protein. once you have an idea of how many calories you need a day and have your macros broken down, you can adjust your meat intake based on your needs that day...
  • watchthis1970
    watchthis1970 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    THis is what I found on the CDC Website:http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html

How much protein do I need?
    Maybe you've wondered how much protein you need each day. In general, it's recommended that 10–35% of your daily calories come from protein. Below are the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA) for different age groups.2

Recommended Dietary Allowance for Protein
    Grams of protein
    needed each day
    Children ages 1 – 3 13
    Children ages 4 – 8 19
    Children ages 9 – 13 34
    Girls ages 14 – 18 46
    Boys ages 14 – 18 52
    Women ages 19 – 70+ 46
    Men ages 19 – 70+ 56

Here are examples of amounts of protein in food:

•1 cup of milk has 8 grams of protein
    •A 3-ounce piece of meat has about 21 grams of protein
    •1 cup of dry beans has about 16 grams of protein
    •An 8-ounce container of yogurt has about 11 grams of protein

For myself I usually have my meat protioned in 1 pound portions from the grocery store. Since there are two of us, and we both usually take leftovers for lunch so I make 4- 4oz portions, two for supper and two for lunch the next day.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Depends on how many calories per day, how many grams of protein, you are aiming for, and how mane meals a day you plan to rest meat at. And it has nothing to do with male versus female, only current size, daily goals, and activity levels.

Though, for what it's worth I consider a portion to be six ounces usually. My usual meats are chicken and steak. Ground is usually 8 ounces pre cooked to make a double quarter pounder at home. By pressing out most of the fat, that actually probably is close to six as well. Fish I've been known to scarf down a full eight ounces. But thats things like tilapia, cat, or barramundi. Salmon I can only get down 3-4 ounces.

I'm female.5'6" ranging somewhere between 140-150 (haven't weighed in a while but pants getting lose so...)

Now that I see the post above me (but those are more minimum values and given an exceptionally physically demanding job, those numbers won't cut it), I'll also add my protein is set for 30% which is more than 100 grams. Not because I magically think it will make me lose weight, but because of dietary restrictions from my allergies to grains and my hypertriglycerinemia. So my relatively greater need for protein may skew my perception of portion sizes.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lkc79iRRfD1qjw4kxo1_500.gif
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 5x a day... so my meals with protein usually have the following portion sizes:

20g protein in a serving of my shake powder
    2.5-3oz cooked ground beef
    80 - 100g cooked chicken (boneless skinless breast)
    1c greek yogurt
    2oz turkey lunchmeat (low sodium)
    1oz turkey jerkey

When I'm not home where I can weigh the protein, I try to keep my portion size to be about the size of the palm of my hand. Also, I'm eating over 100g of protein a day. Usually between 110-130g. My hair and nails have never been stronger... and I feel so much better too.
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Meat portion the size of a deck of cards was the rule of thumb for a while...<shrug> but I'm a veggie ;)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Meat portion the size of a deck of cards was the rule of thumb for a while...<shrug> but I'm a veggie ;)

That went out the window when word started getting out that world class strongmen were eating ten times that in a single sitting. ;)