Healthiest bread?

Options
I'm looking for the best whole grain bread. not necessarily vegan, organic or gluten free or anything.
just the most bang for your calories. sprouted grain? Ezekiel? Thx

Replies

• amtrust
    amtrust Posts: 178
    Options
    I'm interested in this, too. I've only been buying HE Bake Shop 100% whole wheat, but it's 80 calories per slice. I know bread is carbs.....therefore calories, but yes, what's the best bang for the diet!
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I love Ezekiel bread. It is very filling for me and I love the chewiness and nutty taste. It has a lot of fiber, protein and vitamins.
    Another healthy bread is a gluten free bread that I make for my kids out of teff. Teff is a mighty powerfull little grain with a lot of proten, iron and other nutrients.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with Ezekiel. Is it common in most grocery chains or is it a specialty item?
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Around here in NJ it is easy to find at the bigger grocery stores. Some have it in the freezer section. So far Trader Joes has had the best price.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Our grocery (Kroger) has it in the health food freezer section. I've not used it myself. I've been making my own bread.
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I like Orowheat doube fiber whole wheat bread. 70 calories / slice.
    I'm sure this is not the ultimate best (I think I've seen people post about 30 calorie breads, etc) but I have found this one as good and common at the grocery store. And I have become a huge fan of fiber so the double fiber is a big plus to me.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    it's been said that ezkiel bread or any other sprouted grain breads are the best choice for human consumption.
  • riri0301
    riri0301 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    im addicted to 100 calorie pepperidge farm multi grain rolls...one sandwich roll is 100 versus 1 slice of traditional bread 120 per slice
  • Jb27
    Jb27 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love the Sara Lee 45 cal bread they have a few whole wheat and honey and even white they all taste really good and are only 45 cals per slice :) I love them with fresh ground peanut butter!
  • Tamiash
    Tamiash Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I personally am all about ezkiel bread. It's so good and good for you. I buy mine at Trader Joes for 3.99 a loaf. At Krogers is 5.99 and frozen......No brainer i buy mine at Trader Joes.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I will also agree with sprouted bread!

I personally would not eat any of the "light" breads - have you looked at the ingredients? Not good for you!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for the best whole grain bread. not necessarily vegan, organic or gluten free or anything.
    just the most bang for your calories. sprouted grain? Ezekiel? Thx

LOl, I would actually say none, but................Ezekiel Bread made from sprouted grains are actually the best for you. If I would eat bread, that is what I would go for.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    oooh what a great question! I don't have trader joe's or kroger's here in new orleans but would like to try the ezkiel bread.
    I love bread but need one with lower carbs cuz I'm trying to watch my carbs and up my protein and fiber.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    fiber one makes hotdog and hamburger rolls that have 5 grams of fiber and 100 calories for the whole roll! I know that somestores have there own generic brand too. I like that I can have tuna on a hamburger roll and only 100 calories are from the bread!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Ezekial sprouted grain bread, hands down.
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    I second, third... or is it fourteenth... the Ezekiel 4:9 bread. I go for the low sodium version because I am trying to cut sodium as much as possible. 80 cals, negligible fat, no sodium, 15 g carbs (3 g fiber, 0 sugar), 4 g protein. Takes a bit of getting used to, and I prefer it as toast rather than sandwich bread, but quite good all the same.
  • Breathe_Glamour
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's the healthiest, but I eat 1 slice of Pepperidge Farm Whole Wheat bread, the one with a "smooth texture." It's 100 calories per slice, but it's very filling, so I'll take those calories if it means I'm not extremely hungry later on.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    You could always bake your own bread also. That way it is not filled with preservatives and such like the store bought breads.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I like Natures Own Double Fiber Bread. It is only 50 calories a slic, with a lot of fiber, and it is really tasty. I also want to try ezekiel bread. I hear that is not great for sandwhiches.
  • nhoffman08
    nhoffman08 Posts: 28
    Options
    I have 4 kids, do daycare from home for 4 other kids, so I just can't afford $4.00 for a loaf of bread.
    So I prefer Nature's Pride Honey Wheat bread. It doesn't have bleached or encriched flour, no high fructose corn syrup and a relatively short list of pronouncable ingredients. The best thing is, my kids eat it and they love it. Of course, I don't buy white bread, so they don't know the difference. It's only 70 calories a slice 3g of protein and low sodium.