Exercise addiction

Options
I have just read something interesting about exercise addiction which has some relevance to me because in order to fund my eating calories I was trying to train harder every day without rest days. I was feeling guilty for not getting the calories logged in. Eating all my exercise calories has not resulted in weightloss. So this article has been rather illuminating for me....

Exercise addiction can become problematic in people with eating disorders or weight issues . This may result in excessive and addictive exercise in an attempt to control or lose weight. Addictive exercisers may use extreme training as one way to expend calories and maintain or lose body weight in the attempt to improve performance or achieve a desired body shape or weight. Discomfort, pain or even injury will not keep an exercise addict from training.
They also tend to cling to the false belief that even the smallest break from training will make them gain weight and unable to compete at the same level.
Many compulsive exercisers have behaviors similar to drug addicts. The athlete no longer finds pleasure in exercise, but feels it is necessary. It is no longer a choice; it has become an obligation. While exercise may provide a temporary feeling of well-being or euphoria, the athlete requires more and more exercise to reach this state. If he is forced to miss a workout, he will report overwhelming feelings of guilt and anxiety, similar to withdrawal symptoms.

Warning Signs of a Compulsive Exerciser

You suffer symptoms of overtraining syndrome.
You force yourself to exercise even if you don't feel well.
You almost never exercise for fun
Every time you exercise, you go as fast or hard as you can.
You experience severe stress and anxiety if you miss a workout.
You miss family obligations because you have to exercise.
You calculate how much to exercise based on how much you eat.
You would rather exercise than get together with friends.
You can't relax because you think you're not burning calories.
You worry that you'll gain weight if you skip exercising for one day.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/eatingdisorders1/a/compulsive_ex.htm

Replies

• LaNena01
    LaNena01 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump love this
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Let me see if I can break this down as a checklist.

You suffer symptoms of overtraining syndrome. - No, because no one can seem to agree on what the hell it is, let alone whether it exists.

You force yourself to exercise even if you don't feel well. - Hell yeah. People who don't are *kitten* who fail at life.

You almost never exercise for fun. - Nope. I have fun every time I pull a new PR and feel like my eyes could explode.

Every time you exercise, you go as fast or hard as you can. - Yeap. People who don't are *kitten* who fail at life.

You experience severe stress and anxiety if you miss a workout. - No, but I do get pissed.

You miss family obligations because you have to exercise. - Yeap. I hate my family anyway.

You calculate how much to exercise based on how much you eat. - Nope. Other way around.

You would rather exercise than get together with friends. - Yeap. I am extremely anti-social, so what few people I would bother to call friends don't come around unless specifically called for.

You can't relax because you think you're not burning calories. - Nope.

You worry that you'll gain weight if you skip exercising for one day. - What? No...seriously? I thought this was to see if I was addicted, not retarded.
  • Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Let me see if I can break this down as a checklist.

You suffer symptoms of overtraining syndrome. - No, because no one can seem to agree on what the hell it is, let alone whether it exists.

You force yourself to exercise even if you don't feel well. - Hell yeah. People who don't are *kitten* who fail at life.

You almost never exercise for fun. - Nope. I have fun every time I pull a new PR and feel like my eyes could explode.

Every time you exercise, you go as fast or hard as you can. - Yeap. People who don't are *kitten* who fail at life.

You experience severe stress and anxiety if you miss a workout. - No, but I do get pissed.

You miss family obligations because you have to exercise. - Yeap. I hate my family anyway.

You calculate how much to exercise based on how much you eat. - Nope. Other way around.

You would rather exercise than get together with friends. - Yeap. I am extremely anti-social, so what few people I would bother to call friends don't come around unless specifically called for.

You can't relax because you think you're not burning calories. - Nope.

You worry that you'll gain weight if you skip exercising for one day. - What? No...seriously? I thought this was to see if I was addicted, not retarded.

Lol