under 150lbs gets harder!

Options
wrevhn
wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
i started almost a year ago, i was around 180. i easily dropped down with diet and exc to 150, but then i hit a plateau. i have been adjusting and trying new types of working out, and stricter dieting, but i'm dropping so slowly its not funny. i have to try to get to 130 by june 15 when i'll go pick up my husband from army training graduation and i'm just not getting there. i got like one month left! and almost 10 lbs! :sad:

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    How long are you doing the new types of working out before you find something else? It's going to take a few weeks for your body to adjust to it and actually put forth results. Try increasing your calories and working out less time but more intensely. Are you strength training? How much cardio are you doing? Do you do cardio everyday?
  • cocacole77
    cocacole77 Posts: 53
    Options
    I just hit 149lbs today and I just know it is going to slow down for me! I just went and bought a Polar FT7 so I can really track my calories burned and make sure I am not going over or too under! I hope I can lose at least 1lb a week but I don't think it's going to happen!! Good luck getting the last 10lbs off...you can do it girl!
  • wrevhn
    Options
    i do cardio everyday. strength training i have trouble figuring out, i was born without my left hand plus i have a very bad back so i am limited. i do switch around alot, i tend to be restless and fickled. i should probably give more time to one new routine i guess. but besides lunges and squats and simple calis. i dont know how to really work my muscles. any ideas?
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Maybe 150 for you but that weight was 215 for me!! :noway: My adult body had never weighed less than 215lbs and it has fought me tooth & nail all the way down to where I am now (199). I've had to drastically increase how much I'm eating. Yep, *increase.* I'm now netting about 1100-1300 calories each day. That means I eat about 1200 base calories plus 90-100% of my exercise cals. My body had really slowed down my metabolism to cope with how little I had been feeding it for months.

I also started sprint interval training on the treadmill. Before I was just running for a solid 30 minute block. Now that I'm jogging/walking and sprinting as fast as I can in intervals, I'm getting a better workout and I think that has really kickstarted my weightloss again. This is the first time since January I've recorded a loss 3 weeks in a row (and good losses at that! -- 5 pounds in 3 weeks. Had been losing an average of 4 pounds a month since January until now. Was previously losing about 10-11 pounds a month from September - Jan so 4 pounds a month was pretty irritating :laugh:).
  • wrevhn
    Options
    i guess i could try running more. i was at one point but my blood pressure kept going up and i had to stop. but i think my blood pressure is doing better lately so maybe running/jogging daily would help me, along with cardio. still need to buff up my butt though and all the lunges and squats in the world arent doing the trick quickly enough. i got one month to be 130 with a better booty. (my hubby is a butt man)
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    yes it sucks!!! ive been stuggling with the last 10 lbs, to get to 135!!! almost there, but seems like such a long haul!!
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    It's taken me 2 months to shift the last 10lb whereas I was losing 3 to 4lb every week up until that point.

Your body will fight like mad to keep that last 10lb because it is convinced it needs it for any bad times. My advice is to mix up as much exercise and eating as possible. By this I mean eat 1300 calories one day, 1500 the next and so on (these are just examples). Then with your gym work do cardio one day, strength the next.

If you love one thing (I LOVE cardio) then really mix up the routine. I do a steady 6mph one day, a steep incline the next and then 6pmh with 8mph bursts every 5 minutes and day after.

If you keep your body guessing EVERYTHING you're going to do it is hard for it to know what to hold back.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Maybe 150 for you but that weight was 215 for me!! :noway: My adult body had never weighed less than 215lbs and it has fought me tooth & nail all the way down to where I am now (199). I've had to drastically increase how much I'm eating. Yep, *increase.* I'm now netting about 1100-1300 calories each day. That means I eat about 1200 base calories plus 90-100% of my exercise cals. My body had really slowed down my metabolism to cope with how little I had been feeding it for months.

I also started sprint interval training on the treadmill. Before I was just running for a solid 30 minute block. Now that I'm jogging/walking and sprinting as fast as I can in intervals, I'm getting a better workout and I think that has really kickstarted my weightloss again. This is the first time since January I've recorded a loss 3 weeks in a row (and good losses at that! -- 5 pounds in 3 weeks. Had been losing an average of 4 pounds a month since January until now. Was previously losing about 10-11 pounds a month from September - Jan so 4 pounds a month was pretty irritating :laugh:).

I second the advice to think about increasing calories and doing interval training. I net 1400 calories/day (calories eaten - calories burned though exercise = 1400) and I've been losing just under 1 lb/week. According to what I thought was my "lightly active" lifestyle (I'm a grad student/instructor so I walk around campus a lot and I don't own a car so I walk everywhere), I should only be losing about a half pound/week, but it has been a little more. So, somewhere in my tracking, things are working in my favor. I tend to think that it is the interval training that I do. The benefit of high intensity interval training (HIIT) is that it will elevate your metabolism following exercise more than steady state cardio.

I do high intensity interval training at least 2x/week. I like to do this with bodyweight exercises. I really, really like the workouts on http://bodyrock.tv. They are free and absolutely will kick your behind and really give your muscles a good burn. I've gotten a lot leaner and stronger since starting working out this way. For my other exercise I run with the Couch to 5K program and try to have 2 heavy weight training days.

As you get down to losing the last few pounds and you are really getting into the low body fat territory just be sure that you are eating enough to KEEP losing the weight. The thing about losing the "vanity pounds" (as I've heard Jillian Michael call them) is that our bodies don't really want to give them up. We have to let our body know that we aren't starving by keeping it fed. Not too much, obviously, but enough good food at regular intervals such that it knows that it is okay to burn the excess instead of store it as fat. That's a simplification, but you get the idea.

Edit: Somehow the part about only having one hand just slipped by me. I think you can still find a lot of exercises using only bodyweight that can really help. Lower body stuff like squats and lunges, which you are already doing. You can up the intensity by doing one-legged squats as opposed to adding weights. Or you can elevate one foot while doing a standing lunge. I don't know if you can do pushups, but there are a million versions of those. And, if regular pushups aren't an option, one armed pushups are especially intense. :happy: Do you have the option of paying for a personal training session? Someone who can work specifically with you to find exercises that you can do might be a big help.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Are you able to hold onto anything? You might try a kettlebell. I hear they're a great strength work out. OR, resistance bands. You could tie a knot so you could wrap it around your hand and do bicep curls with it. Step on the other end and choke up to add more resistance. I usually do this and hold dumbbells too but they work just as well without the weight if you just increase the resistance.
  • wrevhn
    Options
    my hubby has plain resitance bands, i'm searching for ones with a loop or handle at one end so i can use them. i also recently bought wrist weights that just barely fit around my left arm but work. i heard kelly rippa does the alphabet with weights so i considered that. i also own ankle weights to i could use.

i'm going to try a mix of all your advice. running/jogging in mornings, cardio at night, and strength training mid day. plus cal flux to mix it up.

and yes i've heard tell those last ten pounds are a problem for many people.

i also should cut back on fats, salts, sugars. but i got a deadly strong craving for chocolate like mad. daily. and i'm obsessed with my "pbj every morning of my life" routine. though i use low sugar jelly and 40 cal bread.