Will swimming be enough?

Options
Lost a stone since 2nd Feb through MFP and swimming 4 or 5 times a week. REALLY want to keep the momentum up and find swimming very easy to fit in and I enjoy it which I can't say about many other forms of exercise! WIll my body "get used" to it though if I just carry on or do I need to "brave" the gym upstairs from the pool and face the skinny, fit people in the ,,,,GYM?!!:blushing:

Advice greatfully recieved!

Sarah xx

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Swim I would say. Why bother putting yourself through something you will not enjoy and not keep up long term? Your body will get used to it, but then you will add in more swim time, or swim faster or improve your technique, or swim arms or legs only, using floats, to up the intensity.

Great way to add in resistance work without ever lifting a weight. I also do progressive callisthenics, kettlebell and yoga because I like to workout that way. Personally, you can keep the gym!

Hey - you may even start swimming in open water - sea, lakes, rivers - but be safe!

Carl (open water swimmer)
  • sazzledazzle78
    Options
    *meant to be 2nd Jan obviously. A stone in a day WOULD be impressive!!!!!!,
  • szonjakun
    szonjakun Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy swimming do it!
    As you'll get better you can challenge yourself! Swimming more, more faster or things like that. :)
    (I'd like to swim as well, but unfortunately I don't have a place to do so. - I used to be a swimmer for 8 years :))
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    swimming is a great sport - love the cardio and i would also incorporate weight lifting and maybe some other exercises
  • Sorashi
    Options
    It may sound like easy and that you're not doing as much effort as in other exercises, specially when you enjoy it, but actually swimming is an amazing exercise to do since you use more muscles than you can think of.
  • cielbee
    Options
    I love swimming too. If you're worried about bone density though you might want to make sure you also do weight bearing exercises/weight lifting a couple of times a week. If you already do this, then please disregard this statement. It's always good to mix things up a little.
  • Mrs16
    Mrs16 Posts: 86
    Options
    Swimming is great especially if you arent ready for the gym ( such as myself) I do aquafit it is a great water program and we use float weights for strength resistance training, look to see if your local Y or gym offers it.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    yes - the reason i add in kettlebell, yoga and bodyweight exercises is to address muscle and bone maintenance. You don't have to attend gym sessions if you don't feel attracted to it.
  • sazzledazzle78
    Options
    Thankyou for all of your replies! Makes me feel much more positive and optimistic that I will be able to keep up the wieght loss and the swimming!
    Just got back from 40 lengths and feel great! xx