Supplements/protein powders etc

Options
I am trying to lose weight, hopefully build some muscle tone but weight is more important to me. Do these powders really accelerate results at such a speed that it's worth it?

I try to be very natural in what I eat, I don't do sweeteners and try to make most of my food from scratch to avoid colours, flavours, preservatives etc.

What do people suggest?

Replies

• martinh78
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight, hopefully build some muscle tone but weight is more important to me. Do these powders really accelerate results at such a speed that it's worth it?

They are a supplement, and that's the key. They won't accelerate weight loss or muscle tone over a diet with the equivilant nutrients. What they can do is be a convenient and easy way of adding (supplementing) extra protein to your diet. Handy if you finish the gym but can't get a proper meal for a while for example.
  • j__mariee
    Options
    Protein Powders and Supplements etc do not accelerate weight loss.

Protein is what muscle mass is made of, when exercising or doing heavy weights essentially you are tearing the muscle, having a protein shake helps speed up the healing process.

If you do not take in enough protein your muscle gains will be quite minimal, generally why body builders have a high protein high fibre diet. If in the case you are having protein shakes without the exercise then your body will store it as there are carbohydrates in them.

If you are doing a sufficient amount of heavy weights and your goal is to gain muscle mass and definition then yes i would suggest protein and supplements. If you are at this point doing mainly cardio (which i wouldn't suggest anyway) then you probably don't need any at this stage.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i eat protein meal bars as a replacement of my breakfast. i got to the gym early mornings and im usually not hungry when i get up. its more of a convenience thing. i do hear that adding protein supplements to help with muscle soreness. but they are not ment to help speed up any weight loss. but im sure they make some brands that might. im just not familiar with them.
  • KayteeB07
    Options
    Yeah I use my shake and bar for meal replacements for when I'm in a rush :)
    Being a full time mum and college student means its handy to have something filling and healthy to grab when im late lol
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake every morning to up my protein and keep myself full. If I focus my day on protein, fruits and veggies, the weight just falls off.
  • therethere
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The problem with googling these things is that I just got a loads of hits to bodybuilding/sales websites and I want an honest opinion, not a snake oil salesmen.

Check out the Amazon reviews of the Tony Horton powders - they're so scripted it's hilarious!

You all write that you have bars/shakes when you have no time for food - luckily I ALWAYS make time to eat haha (that's my problem!) Thank you!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder. I found that I wasn't getting enough protein in my regular diet so I added the powder (shaken with water) as a supplement. For 20g of protein, there are about 2g carbs and 93 calories. It helps me feel much more full and energetic as well as helping after a workout (when I do workout). I don't use mine as a meal replacement so much as a snack replacement or to augment a meal. There have been some studies that have shown that it does help with weight loss (because of decreased caloric intake as a result of increased protein) but it's not a magic pill or anything.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I also replace my breakfast with a protein shake. I'm up at 5am and can't face anything else!

I'm doing insanity though so the extra protein comes in handy!