Target Weight?

Options
Was just wondering - how does everyone decide on their target weight? I have tried talking to my doc and various things but i get mixed results. Being a bit on the shorter side, my minimum "healthy weight" is about 100 lbs flat. but, according to my doc, he feels i'd be "healthy" at 150 even though according to the BMI scale i should really be about 145 or less.
i don't know where to set my goals, and it's hard to be motivated if i have no idea where i'm headed to. how do i know when i "get there"?
here's my stats so far - i'm 5'3", 22yo
SW - 226
CW - 174
GW - ?

originally i had set my goal at 120lbs, but my body structure is different than others. the smallest i've ever been during adolescence and after is 130 lbs. i didn't stay there long, and i was about a 6/8 dress size. now, i'm at 174 and a comfortable size 12. already though, there isn't much "jiggle" left, and i feel like if i aim for 120 i'll be forever disappointed because i will likely never get there. 150 is more realistic, i suppose, but it still seems a bit heavy...

any advice? my husband is already asking when i plan on slowing down, and although i've been in "maintenance mode" for a few months, i'm not completely happy with this weight.

Replies

• AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You have lost an incredible amount of weight and you should be really proud of yourself! My goal is to get just into a healthy BMI, so my goal is 159. Anything beyond that is gravy for me. Maybe you should set your sites on 145 and if you can go farther then it's even better.
  • xdudeitsliz
    xdudeitsliz Posts: 38
    Options
    I'd say listen to your doctor and go with 145 or something like 140. I think 140 is doable and would still make you healthier according to your BMI and other variables. I could never be 120. I am 5'4 and a pear shape with big hips so I know 120 for me is unrealistic so I set it to 130 and thats where I would like to end up. Just know if you get to 140 and you feel unhealthy with the way you look and think you need to gain, you can do that!
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I suggest going with what YOU feel comfortable with. It sounds like 150 might be a bit too high for you and you want to get into a healthy BMI range. How about 135-140?

I previously lost weight in my early 20's and had no problem getting to my goal of 130. Now, I've been through two kids and I don't have the time and energy to maintain a weight that low, so I'm aiming for 140. That said, I'm open to change if I get to 150 and feel "good" or if I get to 140 and feel I can push myself a little more.
  • saraharrison86
    Options
    Hi
    I am 24 years old and 5 foot 1!
    I have a target weight in mind (about 10 stone would be nice, less would be fantastic!)
    I am aiming to lose inches and get to a dress size 12 (UK)

I would say it is how you feel and not you weight that matters (assuming you are a healthy weight), which it sounds like you are.
    It is nice to have a weight in mind but as long as you feel good in your clothes your weight will fluctuate.

Hope this helps and makes sense.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    This site will help you find your "happy weight" aka GW. I found this after I decided what I wanted my GW to be and it just so happened it's the same! :bigsmile:

http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/happyweight

If you're not sure what frame you have, use this calculator: http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php
  • catrinav2005
    Options
    First of all, congrats on the weight you've lost already! That's amazing. Secondly, if you were never less than 130 lbs during your teenage years, it's very unrealistic to expect to get to less than that now that you're a bit older. When I was 16 or 17, I weighed between 130 - 135 and now I'm almost 25 and at about 150 lbs. I'm hoping to lose another 5-10 pounds, but I'd say 5 is more realistic for me. Don't forget, once you get a bit older your metabolism slows down and it's just not the same as the pre-20 days!

Based on what you've said about your height/age, etc. try aiming for 145-150. Once you get there see how you feel about yourself and then you can decide if you want to/are able to lose more.

Good luck!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Whoops, duplicate post :blushing:
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i am 5'2" and i want to get to 125lb, seems impossible. i was down to 145lb last summer but unfortunatley went up to 159 again. i am currently STRUGGLING (like 6 months) to get below 150lb again. i have never maintained below 150lb, but i think that was because of my lifestyle, worked all the time and did not exercise or watch what i ate.

just thought you would like to see some input from someone around your height.
  • ChristaS
    ChristaS Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss so far!

I'm 5' 3.5" (gotta get that extra .5" lol) and my "ideal weight" is about 128 the range being something like 126 - 145. I set my GW at 130 but want to stay somewhere betweem 130 and 135. When I originally hit 136 my doc told me to stop and just be healthy but though I was very happy there I felt like I still needed to lose a few to be really happy. Mostly my belly is my problem and only 17 months after having my Daughter I'm sure weight isn't the problem, its skin, but none the less... anyway I was 125 as a teen and my doc repeatedly asked my Mom if she was sure I didn't have an eating disorder so clearly that is not a healthy weight for me!

pick something close to what you doc suggests and aim for that then just see if your happy and go from there! GL
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'3" as well (on a good day) and I've been wondering what a goal weight should be. I've been overweight my whole life so I'm not sure what a maintainable or possible weight should be. My first goal on here is 30 pounds lost, which puts me into the overweight category. After that I thought i'd shoot for 150, which puts me 10 pounds away from a healthy BMI. I can assess where I want to go from there after I reach that goal. Who knows what I'm capable of achieving since I've never tried to lose this weight before. I'm just taking it one day at a time :)
  • lobsterhug
    lobsterhug Posts: 8
    Options
    I don't think you should be so concerned about the number on the scale or BMI. What's more important is your body composition, fat vs. muscle. BMI only considers your height and weight. It doesn't take into account all that muscle you've been building. I would talk to your doctor about what a healthy body fat percentage would be and work toward that goal.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So here's my take on it.

I think it's perfectly fine to have a goal "range" as far as weight goes, but I think if you have a goal "weight" I.E. a specific number, then you're missing the point of MFP (or at least, my interpretation of MFP).

My thinking is you should have a goal weight range and a goal body fat %. If you get to your goal range but your body fat % is still high, then you're not where you should be yet. Why? Because it's all about body fat %, Having a good body fat % is essential to good health, and weight is so very arbitrary.

Think about it, weight can be affected by many things that have nothing to do with health or even looking good. I.E. water weight, muscle density, bone density, intramuscular fat, how full your stomach and bowels are. All of these affect weight, and if you weigh yourself at the wrong time (when a couple of these are high) then you could be 5 to 10 lbs heavier then the day before or day after. So I say weight is arbitrary, body fat % is the way to go.

that's just my humble opinion, take it for what it's worth.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for all of your comments it really helps! i can't wait to get down to where i can actually be "ok" with maintaining that weight. can't help wondering if that day will ever come at this point lol. i've tried targeting a dress size rather than a weight also, but i want a more concrete goal than that. i want to be able to say "i only have _ lbs to go!" but seriously, i couldn't do it without MFP!