Normal to lose a lot at first?

Options
NOT that I'm complaining, but I've been doing this two weeks and have lost 9 pounds. I'm SURE part of it is that my initial weigh-in was done while PMSing, so I was probably bloated & had extra water weight. But still... I've been doing around 1300-1500 calories a day and drinking a TON of water, but haven't been exercising hardly at all up to this point (due to schedule at the moment w/ work, kids, etc.).

Is it normal to have a big drop at first as your body adjusts to the new diet? I'm just very cautious about losing too much weight too quickly because I know it's not healthy to lose TOO quickly, and I worry about it "sticking" as well if it's fast. I'm sure this next week I'll plateau or something, but I wanted to ask you guys what your experience has been.

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    If you have had a drastic change in diet, it's very normal. It's important to stick with it. People get so excited to lose 5+ lbs in the beginning and than their weight loss levels out and they feel defeated. It seems like you understand you won't drop 9 lbs every 2 weeks. Just keep doing what you have been and you will reach your goal. Yes, TOM probably caused some bloating.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have a big initial whoosh. Others actually lose nothing or gain a little bit at the beginning. Still, enjoy it. :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Yep I lost 30 lbs. in about 8-9 days when I first started. 1) I quit soda pop cold turkey 2) I was nearly 500 lbs. It slows down after that.
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the initial early hit and remember it when the weight loss slows. Stick with it and enjoy the new you.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is normal. If your worried about losing too fast, just up your calories. But i dont think your losing too fast... the weight loss will probably slow down eventually
  • Maxibris
    Maxibris Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yep I lost 30 lbs. in about 8-9 days when I first started. 1) I quit soda pop cold turkey 2) I was nearly 500 lbs. It slows down after that.

That is CRAZY! I never realized just cutting out soda could have such a huge impact!
  • norm1539
    Options
    It happened to me, it's mostly water, as you eat better and cut out salty foods and the like. But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't drink tons of water. The more water you drink the more calories you burn, just don't drink so much water you kill your self.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    End of January here (1 month in) and I'm down 9lbs....I'm hoping the trend continues next month - however, just gotta keep in mind it's to be a lifestyle change - to be a "FOREVER" - so when it misses 1 week, keep going at it :)
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    Totally normal! After a couple of weeks, the weight loss should only be 1 to maybe 2lbs weekly. Congrats on the weight loss so far!!!:smile:
  • autumnsnow786
    autumnsnow786 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    if you just started drinking a lot more water than you normally do then that also contributes to it cause you body is letting go of all the water it was trying to hold on to.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

WAY TO GO!! (and congrats on your overall loss thus far! Keep at er!!)

OP - Absolutely normal. Be sure to remember this when it does slow or stall. The scale JUST moved for me today after 3 weeks of being the same. Just got to keep positive and keep pushing!
    Congrats on the initial loss!!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Crazy part is when you start fluctuating and you don't know your weight anymore.

I went with a big 10lbs drop, then .5 - 1lbs a week, stalled out, fluctuated +/- 5lbs a week.

Started again but it was a +/- 5lbs range. When/if this happens just take your lowest weight and move on... or throw out your scale.
  • shawnasis
    shawnasis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I lost 9 lbs. my first week and am getting ready to weigh in tomorrow for my 2nd week...expecting a low number. I don't do conventional exercise, I'm just a fairly active person...am out and about alot, dance around the house to my music, etc. Be excited for the weight loss when it happens and if there are weeks that are not so hot just keep in mind the ones that were :happy:

I should say structured exercise rather than conventional.
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think I lost 7 pounds in the first week than it averaged out to 2 pounds per week after that. I am very thankful for that head start, because I'm sure there will be weeks when I don't lose at all. So far i've been lucky.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    It's super normal! But also remember to take pictures & measurements every so often. When you have those days (or weeks) that the scale is not your friend, those pictures & measurements will keep you motivated!!
  • Sara2184
    Sara2184 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Don't let my jealousy affect this thread :grumble:

Congrats :) that's good. I haven't lost much, but already feel lighter after 6 days of 30 day shred. But some lucky ones see a significant loss in a few days
  • cds_momto3
    cds_momto3 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think the community will be SUCH a huge help when I do hit those plateaus. And I do need to take measurements, good call!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    i went on a diet without sodium and lost 8 pounds my first week. the weeks following slowed somewhat..then a few weeks I lost nothing on the scale but was shrinking.

What happens is you lose water weight those first weeks..and later when the scale is not moving..you are actually losing fat. so please remember that if you come to a few weeks where the scale is not moving..that is the time you are actually really losing fat.
  • brwneyedbrndi
    brwneyedbrndi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 days in and i've lost just over 21 lbs. A lot came off really quick, now it's about 2lbs a week. Everything everyone said above is right... enjoy the quick drops, but keep at it, when the drops are slower.