Sugars!!!!

Options
So, I pretty much go over my sugars allowance everyday, not by too much, but I do and I'm well aware that it's most likely because I make a point of eating something sweet everyday so that I don't start craving and then give in to a binge. I eat well within my allotted calories but the little sweet bits take the sugars up.

What I want to know is, will going a bit over my sugars significantly affect my weight loss even though I'm sticking to my calories? Ideally I'd like to keep eating those sweet bits everyday for the reasons mentioned above.

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

x

Replies

• jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bumping for some help :) x
  • madzzzzzzz
    Options
    Sugars are really bad for weight loss. I would aim for less than your daily recommended to see fast and big results, or cut out most! Sugar turns into fat when not burned.
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You need to decide what you want more - those sweets or losing weight??
    Eating sweets makes you crave more sweets - instead of every day make it every other day, then down to 2 days only per week. Eventually the craving for them will subside.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Sugar won't make you gain weight. A calorie surplus will.
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sugar is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream and triggers the hormone insulin to burn it off. However, when you eat too much sugar, insulin goes into overdrive. It'll store whatever your body doesn't need as fat.
  • punchieprincess
    Options
    What kind of sweets are you eating? Could you replace some of them with fruit?
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Depends on how sugars affect your body. Everyone is different. Don't listen to the people who say "it's only a calorie deficit". Everyone's body is different. With me, one cookie can sabotage me. So I try to not indulge because I know the repercussions. Try a week or two without your sugary indulgence and see how your body does. If may or may not affect you.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Sugar won't make you gain weight. A calorie surplus will.

This. I usually allow myself 1 square of chocolate or 1-3 mini jelly beans per day.(dark chocolate is better for you, though) As you can see, it hasnt stopped my. Most of my sugar comes from fruit anyway, not candy. I treat myself once in a while, but sugar isn't going to derail you. Just make sure you're eating a very little amount of refined, processed sugars (including white bread, pasta, etc). But then again, it is all about a caloric surplus. my regular sugar intake is about 50-80 if that helps (keep in mind most of which are from fruits, a few grams sprinkled here and there in foods I eat, and very little comes from sweets.)

Edited to say to the person above me: this is for the general population. If she can't handle sweets then she obviously shouldn't eat them. Just saying :smile: please don't be upset with me! I'm not sure how people can randomly gain a pound from one cookie without an actual medical issue. But I might be wrong!
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I go over my sugars every day because I eat fruit, but I also budget in a sweet treat every day. As long as I don't go over by more than the sugars in the fruit, I don't worry. It is true that the fewer sweet treats you eat the less you crave, and other foods start tasting sweet. One of my favorite "treats" is really dark chocolate (like 77%) as part of my post-workout snack, unfortunately, the last time I bought some was in Belgium and I have no idea where to find those here, but 2 individually wrapped squares were only 37 calories.
  • slightner
    slightner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Are your sugars all coming from your sweet fix? If most are coming from fruit and healthy things then I wouldn't stress. I keep hearing about sugar and its so confusing. Im with you! I hear don't eat sugar free, it has aspartame, but don't eat sugar because its bad too. For now, Im drinking only water and Im not sweetening anything, but otherwise I am not watching my sugar count. 6 pounds in two weeks isn't bad, so I must not be too far off! Good luck with your journey!
  • Sakibaby
    Options
    I love to tell all of my friend's that I am "Allergic" to sugar! That helps them not offer me any, especially at the office :-)
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm nowhere near really optimized for big time weight loss and I've been over on my sugars almost daily.

That said.. I'm down 15lbs in five weeks.

It boils down most importantly to calorie balance.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth, and have a hard time giving up sweets completely. Just go for small portions, and try to replace some of the sweet cravings with things like fruit and dark chocolate that have other benefits. I also like to do a small bowl of ice cream-1/2 cup or so...a small portion satisfies, is reasonable calories, and I figure at least I'm getting some calcium that way... :) You just have to figure out what works for you.
  • sarajeffery92
    Options
    I'm supposed to have only 24g of sugar a day, but i more than double that in what I go over, which is all from fruit. Im seriously confused as to if 24g is right? I also have been under with my calories every day despite going over in sugar. My first weigh in tomorrow and im nervous :(
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    MFP sets the sugar targets extremely low. The World Health Organization recommends no more than 10% of total calories come from sugar, while the USDA recommends 6-10%. That's about 50 grams for a 2,000 calorie diet.

Honestly, if you are not eating at or under the recommended number of carbohydrates and getting enough fiber, then you really only need to worry about sugar if you have a medical condition.
  • sarajeffery92
    Options
  • tiffanympm
    Options
    Sugar is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream and triggers the hormone insulin to burn it off. However, when you eat too much sugar, insulin goes into overdrive. It'll store whatever your body doesn't need as fat.

This x60000000.

My approach to weight loss is to cut our process flour and simple sugars. Its the only diet plan that has ever enabled me to loose weight.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

This x60000000.

That is nonsense. Are you aware protein is also insullinogenic?? Hit your calorie goal and your macronutrient goals with mostly whole foods and you will lose weight and be healthy.

In a 24 hour period, your body only stores excess energy as fat. There is no insulin overdrive!! Total myth.
  • LdyPsych
    LdyPsych Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Do you mean you are over on sugars as counted by MFP? Mine is always over and I eat no refined sugar at all! I go over simply eating two fruits and 2-3 servings of non-starchy vegetables. The software does not differentiate between simple and refined sugars and sugars from healthy fruits and vegetables. I now make note of the sugar total, but a quick scan of my eating always shows that it is based on healthy foods in a reasonable quantity - so I ignore it.
  • sarajeffery92
    Options
    Fruit sugars & thanks I feel a little better now:happy: