Job question, need advice please

Options
sarahp86
sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
Hello all,

I work in emergency services in Ireland. I'm 27 and I hate my job!! Our wages and resources have been cut. Our hours have been changed and morale is at an all time low. They're threatening to cut our wages again. I can't afford it!! But it's all I know. I've never been to college or had any other job aside from part time work when I was younger. I'm currently researching my options for part time courses with the hope of maybe doing something else in a few years. However I am worried that I will fail and be left jobless or stuck in this job and I'm getting increasingly depressed.

Three of my colleagues are hoping to emigrate by next year. I'm not looking for sympathy I just want to know if any of you have left jobs you hate and have pursued other careers or study? If you have were you successful? Would you recommend it?

I have no mortgage, children or other responsibilities but I have personal loans which will be paid off by next year.

Replies

• thnksfrthmmrs
    thnksfrthmmrs Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I used to work at an airport and I hated every minute of it - after 3 months training I only lasted 3 more months then rang in sick everyday then left.
    I couldn't find much full time work at the time so took a part time job in a little shop in a retirement village. 5 years later I'm still there and am now the manager.

If you are unhappy and making yourself unwell, have a look around for part time jobs and courses that will lead to you doing something you love.

Good luck :)
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I left a job that I hated and went to school, but now I am in another job I hate because sometimes getting into the field in which you study for is next to impossible.

Best of luck with your dicision
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I started off in fast food at 15 and quit a year ago, now I am studying nursing and working part time at a supermarket. I worked too damn hard to get into uni to quit now! I wish you luck.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Hey Sarah, you've got no dependants or major financial commitments so if you're ever going to change your life, now is the time. I wouldn't give up your job yet, but you should contact your local college and see what type of courses they offer and see if there's anything you could do towards retraining.

Its getting harder to find jobs these days (I'm looking to get out of mine!), which is why I would stick where you are for as long as possible, then at least you're getting an income and it also shows prospective employers you're committed and proactive. It also looks better on your CV having a longstanding job, rather than dipping in and out of a few...employers may question whether you would be like this in every job.

Inbox me if you need any advice - I work in the further edcuation sector, so may be able to find out info for you.

Good luck hunni xx
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    You only live once and without anything holding you down (i.e. responsibility) - I'd say go for the change. You are fortunate to be able to do start over should you desire. Life is too short to be stuck in a job you hate, especially when you can easily make changes now without affecting too many others' lives in the process. My husband hated what he was doing and one day his employer took care of that for him - by laying him and 300 others off. It was the worst thing to happen to us but also the best thing. It allowed him to really pursue what interested him and he got his masters degree and found a new job in a new industry. You've heard the saying - do what you love, the money will follow. You might find you are simply happier with less when you enjoy what you are doing each day anyway.
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I have no intention of leaving this job until I have qualifications and another job lined up. I've been working in emergency services for over 8 years! I have no idea what else I could even do :-/ I'm giving myself 3 years anyway
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    Could you look at something kind of linked to what you do? so if its fire dept, do a qual in health and safety like NEBOSH (if they have that in Ireland?) might open up more opportunities if its linked to your experience rather than seeming like a complete direction change?
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have always been an administrative assistant type person. In my childhood I dreamed of working in publishing, since I love books! But, never wanted to move to New York City (its 3000 miles away for goodness sake) so I just became an office girl. I also love animals, and a few years ago I left my office work to work in an animal shelter. It had always been a dream, but I HATED IT! Every day I went to work and at some point during the day, I would cry. And it was a no-kill shelter, so it wasn't that. But the people were horrid. The pay was awful. They took advantage of you and then expected more. It was simply the worst. The only good thing I can say is that I made a couple good friends there. But that was it. So I left it and decided to go back into admin work. I got a job with an attorney, who happens to also be an accomplished author. And he started his own publishing company. So I landed (completely unexpectedly) in publishing! I still do animal rescue on the side, and my life is fantastic.

Have you thought of emigrating and staying in your field, just in US? We need good policewomen here. And since you have no mortgage, maybe you should consider it? Just sayin. Because I think deep down you like the work itself, just not the politics that go with it.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I did a career change and the number one thing I'd advise is to save as much money as you can. This will give you the option of choosing a job you know you'd like, but may pay less at first. You want to have as many options as possible, and being financially set when you make the leap will allow you to broaden your options.