I could use some encouragement

Options
Hi!, I am an 81 year old, overweight, disabled, single male veteran. I don't walk very well so don't get any exercise. My entries are below the goals suggested in my diary but I can't seem to lose any weight! What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• nurseceejai
    nurseceejai Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was in the same situation of eating below goals and not losing weight.I learned that you hve to eat up to your goal or you would not lose weight. I have continued to lose weight ever since i began eating more and using a food diary is essential. Otherwise your body goes into starvation mose.
  • Poetic_Photography
    Options
    Hello there! Yes, I agree with the last poster... make sure you are getting enough food, or else your weightloss will be sluggish :smile:

Thanks for your service to our country in the past!! :smile:
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi, I agree with what nurseceejai says, also someone sent this to me today. I found it inspirational. I hope it helps.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448&feature=share
  • AngieD2203
    AngieD2203 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would say, you have already made a step in the right direction, by asking for help/encouragement/ideas, I believe if you eat below your goal, you're not eating the fuel you body needs to get by therefore it goes into starvation mode and stores what it can. It's a vicious circle. I'm sure you are now taking more care of what you eat and if you try and eat more healthily the weight will slowly shift in time. keep going you're doing a great job!!!!
  • Snackman88
    Snackman88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Eat food = burn calories. I know weird huh. Feel free to add me as I'm also a Vet.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Yep, what they said! And, hey, if you can't walk well, could you go to your local Y and get in the pool? They also have a lot of water aerobic and water exercise classes. It's a LOT easier on your joints and muscles. You can even wear or hold onto floats to support your weight in the pool.
    Good luck and way to go on doing something about it!
  • nursedianne
    nursedianne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the other post also. Just remember that as you age your body slows down. Don't beat yourself up. Do what you can! I to am so greatful for your service to our country! Are you able to interact with other Vets? Sometimes at VA centers they have classes in exercises you can do in a chair and that is low impact.
    Please feel free to add me!
    We honor our VETS!! God Bless You!
  • rosecarroll
    rosecarroll Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    George, you are doing well....... mayb e that's true, not eating up to goal....... can't you (not now in the snow) but can't you use Diane's hall outside your door and just walk with the walker at least 2 times? We haven't been to re-hab all week either, got to go tomorrow, the movement does make a difference........ Keep working at it - - you'll get there , little at a time....but it stinks!!!