It's clearly February - lost motivation all around

Options
Last week I went through a few days of "this sucks why am I not losing weight," but then made a deal with myself to log my food for a full calendar year - even if I'm not dieting. So I am feeling pretty committed to MFP and to my diet because I know I'll have to keep track of what I'm eating anyway. :0)

BUT it's amazing how my MFP friends from the New Year are dropping like flies. It's so sad, because so many people were really excited during the first two weeks of January and they've already given up on losing weight. I've lost eight pounds (only, but in one month that's not too shabby) and I am feeling like I can actually accomplish real weight loss this time, but it's so sad to see people quitting because they have no motivation.

How do you keep going... what's your motivation?

Replies

• thinkcrystal
    thinkcrystal Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What keeps me going now...is the fact that im still hanging in there. I started Jan 1 at 169lbs. I lost 7lbs but then went through 2 weeks with nothing changing. But today i stepped on the scale at 161. That was a GREAT feeling. This is the longest ive ever stuck in with this weight loss/life change and believe me i've tried everything at least 50 times within the last 6 years.

I'm proud of myself and i want to beable to wear the cutest dresses this summer and know that i actually accomplished my goal for the 1st time (with God's help of coarse because i have to pray daily for the strength to resist.) Otherwise i probably would have quit the second week.

Plus i dont want June to roll around and im stuck with the question, where would i be if i wouldve stuck with healthy eating and exercise? I hate that feeling....so im soooooo determined this go round :bigsmile:
  • DLSlim
    DLSlim Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have not even lost half a pound in almost two months on here, but I'm not disappointed. I'm more here to work on fixing my relationship with food and I believe that the weight loss will follow with time.

I'm super motivated by the day-to-day successes of everyone on here. I always have my MFP friends on my mind when reaching for a second or third portion of something not so healthy.

That being said, my true motivation is my fiance. He works a really physical job 60 hours a week to support the two of us while I go to school and work a crummy job that only pays for transportation costs. He is super fit and I don't feel like we match anymore. I want to look as sexy as I think he is. And sex.

Just saying.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I LOST 22 lbs, I only have 8 to go and the last 10 is the hardest. What keeps me going is I don't want to go back to where I was. This saying is cliche but, when you get sick and tired of being sick and tired you will change. It's sometimes lonely and boring and not fun. But when you can wear something that hasn't fit in years, when you can squeeze into a seat on the subway, when you don't get winded walking up stairs - you feel better and don't want to lose what you have.

I hope you get back on track. You have to be patient and that is hard!

Also, friends on mfp are really supportive and help e stay motivated
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I used to be one of those, get one and disappear after a couple weeks. last year I started in july and been good since.

my husband and kids help keep me motivated. I want to be around for a long time and be active with them.
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I used to be one of those, get one and disappear after a couple weeks. last year I started in july and been good since.

my husband and kids help keep me motivated. I want to be around for a long time and be active with them.

This is my motivation too. MY DBF and I are both overweight, and every time I think about our future with children I worry that we won't be around to love them very long. That's why I promised myself I would keep tracking for at least one year. My success has encouraged him too; he went from couch to 5k in a month, and now he's registered for a 10 mile race in October.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My lifting PRs and my wife are what keep me at it.

I started this with no goal weight in mind, and still don't have one. For me, it's all about bodyfat percentage. If I end up at 181 at 7% bodyfat in the near future, I'll just keep working up until I eventually land at 275 at 7% bodyfat, or whatever I happen to make it to before I kick the bucket.
  • iowachapman
    iowachapman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have seen it each year for the past 4 at the YMCA I go to, start of Jan, lots of new people, machines all used and busy, but as Feb starts, slowly start to see the crowds dwindle.

I think folks have a hard time staying committed to themselves and their goals, I think often they create too many goals or set the bar too high, when what they need to do is take smaller bite size goals, get in the habit of one or 2 smaller goals and then when they have those habits down add more.

So get in the habit of just getting tot he gym 3 days a week, dont worry about the scale at first or dieting so much, get in the habit of going and doing 15 to 30 min 3 days a week, make it easy and obtainable, that way once you doing it for 2 months you feel great because you are hitting the goal mark. Now after 2 months or 3 you up the time, or days, or start looking at the scale, after a few months of hitting those new goals with first, you start to look at diet. Now you begin to make life changes that you are sticking with.

We all realize we did not get overweight in 2 months, so how in the world do we think we can lose it all in 2 months to a year, if we do not get in the habit of doing these things 90% of the time we will never stay at that level we want for life because we will revert to old style habits.
  • KilannaFit
    Options
    I know the feeling well but this year I am going to stay the course.

Just setting goals each month and making sure I stick to them.

I only lost 1pound and lost a total of 2 inches in Jan - not great but no enough for me to think about quiting

Besides I can now do 'real' push ups which I was never able to do before :)

I think if people still here after March you'll be here for the rest of the year
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    One thing that keeps me motivated is how fast I can undo all my hard work of the last 14+ months if I ever give up.

I know I could gain every ounce I've lost back in less than six months (trust me, I could do it), and that alone is enough to keep me determined to never go down that path again.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've lost eight pounds (only, but in one month that's not too shabby)
    Nah, that's actually a fairly fast pace. Great job!
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You have to be sufficiently tired of where you are and where you were. I say "are" for those who aren't at goal and not quite done just yet.
    I couldn't imagine going back but I damn sure won't stay here because I am truly TIRED of where I've been and how I feel.
    If you are truly done with being unhealthy and unhappy you'll stick to it. Even if you slack off for a brief spell, you'll be right back at it working towards your joy...

All the best :flowerforyou:
  • oAshlio
    oAshlio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. For some reason the last couple weeks I havent been as dedicated to small and careful eating as I was and I have been slipping on my exercises too.. I dont know why, maybe its the continued cold here in Illinois and the anticipation to spring. I do know though that I want to get some jogging shoes and at least run around the block once everyday. I have a hard time doing running-- its some chest condition/muscles condition or whatever, but I wont let that stop me. I know I am in a funk, but I WILL succeed. And I always look at it like this-- if I am not losing weight, at least I am not gaining all the weight I lost back.
  • JamesChargerWolf
    JamesChargerWolf Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ...cliche but, when you get sick and tired of being sick and tired you will change.

^ sometimes cliche is hiding truth.

I've been wanting to "lose a few" for about a decade. But I always went about it in a half-assed or fad-diet way... and of course, I gave up quickly. For me, something had to snap in my mind. I don't know what did it. Maybe the fact that I just turned 40 and realized that losing will only get harder as I age. But you really DO have to turn a corner before you commit.

Another motivator for me: Like iowachapman mentioned, all the New Year's Resolution people show up January 1st. And all the gym regulars know they'll be gone by mid-February. I have NO INTENTION of being some sad, foregone conclusion of failure! Call it pride, call it whatever... I call it success. The thought that someone, somewhere might be looking at me (with no judgement) thinking "Is she really up for this? Will she be here in March?" keeps me motivated to defy expectations.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated by keeping in mind the progress I'm making little by little. My husband and sister are helping me to stay motivated by telling me how proud they are of me for staying with it this time and they can see a difference too.

Perhaps the biggest motivator is my competitive nature. I'm normally a very passive person, but when it comes to certain things, I'm very competitive.... especially with myself. Every day I want to be faster, stronger, burn more calories, work out longer, eat better (whatever the case may be) than I did the day before.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Oh the joys of the February blahs! I know it well, the winter time blues, the "stuck" scale, the desire for more food than necessary. This is the time of year when we really have to work hard at not feeling sorry for ourselves! Look back, even if you've just begun and haven't lost much yet, just tell yourself "Wowie, look at that, I've lost something!" And that "something" will increase over time, little tiny bit by little tiny bit. It takes time. Over 2 years for me, but I can tell you it's worth every struggling minute. Keep the faith, try to smile a bit and give yourself some credit. And never give up!
  • dr_firefly
    dr_firefly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    New Years resolutions are such an arbitrary thing. I started last May because I wanted to, and not January 1 because it seems to be the day to start. You have to really want it and not just do it because everybody all the sudden does it.

I am a graduate student and I struggle every day with my motivation to keep working out but I have a goal and that keeps me going. I lost 50 lbs in the last 7 months and I am at a plateau since about 40 days but I still keep going.