Porridge.....

Options
2013sk
2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
I love love love porridge.......!!!

Now I always have it with semi skimmed milk, but for the first time ever I am going to try it with water to reduce the calories. So instead of my breakfast being over 500cals, it will now be 300 - A massive save on 200 cals, just by changing the milk content

Ive never soaked my oats before, I have just measured 1 cup of oats, 1 cup of water, and two small teaspoons of cinnamon into a container, mixed it all together and left to soak to the morning

Any other good porridge/oats idea's for me? Do you think soaking the night before tastes better??

Will I hate not having milk??? Or will it be something I will get use too without even noticing....Were see...........

S x

Replies

• Veronica2928
    Veronica2928 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try almond milk. I use Silk unsweetened vanilla for 30 calories a cup.
  • 2013sk
    Options
    Almond milk..... Ive heard of it!! Must try it!! Is it very fattening?? Just trying to think of healthier options than semi skimmed, lady at my gym said to try water, or soya milk - ekkkk!!!
  • MissMalinSara
    Options
    I use almond milk its so creamy!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    That seems quite high for porridge- what quantities are you eating?
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    milk of any variety is not fattening as long as it fits into your macros
  • FitzyMax
    FitzyMax Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do half milk and half water and add either 50g of blueberries or raspberries - very yummy!
  • 2013sk
    Options
    Well before I was just pouring the oats into the bowl, and doing a big bowl of porridge with semi skimmed milk - Works out on here 523 cals, if you check back on my diary - Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been having that for months.............Opppsie!!

But that does fill me up, I have it at 6.30am, and then have some fruit at lunch time (Not really a lunch person, more breakfast)

I have now measured one cup full - 80 grams, with water, is 300 cals

xx
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is brilliant. Its very low in calories( 29kcals per 200ml) and the brand I use (Blue Diamond) is fortified with calcium. A good reason for using almond or rice milk over soya is that its fairly heat stable. I find soya does do weird things when you heat it!
  • feebz36
    feebz36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A whole cup of oats?! good grief, that must be a big bowl. I usually weigh out 25g of oats, slosh in some skimmed milk (about 100ml) and then cook it in the microwave for 3mins. watch out, as it can flash up and out of the bowl which is most annoying! I use homegrown scottish wholegrain oats. topping wise, you can add a handful of raspberries when done. If you want rhubarb you need to microwave the rhubarb in the bowl first with a tsp of water for about 2 mins, then add the oats and milk and cook as before. alternatively bung in some raisins, chopped apple and cinnamon to have an "apple pie" type feast! I love porridge, Nom!

P.s the traditional scottish way is to make it with milk, and you season it with a little salt. You should try it at least once :)

* forgot to say, 25g of the oats I use has 125 calories, and 100ml skimmed milk is 35 :) Keeps me full up untill lunch time (and sometimes I have it for lunch too lol!)
  • 2013sk
    Options
    Ohhhh I do love my breakfast!!!! 25g wouldnt even touch my stomach!! Its like them porridge sachets, One of them wouldnt feel me up until lunch time. I would be picking all morning!!! I like to have a big breakfast you see, then lunch will be anything from a fruit salad, or a sushi variety selection - Chopped apple and cinnamon sounds lovely, I have just soaked cinnamon with mine

I have just read up about the almond milk sounds fantastic - Have never thought of it, Always get the semi skimmed milk, and sometime my mum gets carnation milk for creamy coffees

Will def have to buy some almond milk with vanilla - Sounds yummy!!! And so low calories wise!!! Fantastic : )

I have a few lbs to loose, so these small adjustments should help

xx
  • cherylatkwechanged
    cherylatkwechanged Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    What porridge u hzving seems high in calories.
  • 2013sk
    Options
    I get the jumbo oats from Holland and Barretts or normal little oats from supermarket - I think I have mixed them all in my container - Oppps!!!

Should I be getting different oats??

x
  • MissMalinSara
    Options
    I get the jumbo oats from Holland and Barretts or normal little oats from supermarket - I think I have mixed them all in my container - Oppps!!!

Should I be getting different oats??

x

Its scaring me how similar we are in terms of breakfast haha!!! I have to have a HUGE breakfast no matter what. Big bowl of porridge, (80g) with almond milk or water. Blend in cinnamon and a banana or flaxseed, or rasbperries (make my own jam by heating raspberries on the hob with some agave syrup).. I used to use like 3 sachets but now i have quaker jumbo rolled oats on the job. :-) they say eat like a king for breakfast, queen for lunch and pauper for dinner!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    No I think most oats will have similar calories, but your portion size is on the large side. Could you have a smaller helping with the milk you like, and add some protein to keep you feeling full- nuts, Greek yoghurt, a boiled egg. 500 cals is a substantial breakfast, but if your other meals are controlled you could do ir
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my porridge in the morning. I do 40g and half skim milk half water, with a tablespoon of REAL maple syrup. Just bought some Almond milk...so I plan on trying that tomorrow. I'm sure come warmer weather I'll have to find an alternative to my porridge...but right now it makes me :happy:
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i mix a mashed banana through it.
  • 2013sk
    Options
    Malinsara - Yes we are very very alike..........Its scary!! We seem to like the same things food wise!!!

Yes I really really should make a smaller portion, but in the morning, some how, I dont know how, the whole bowl gets filled up, every morning I keep saying to myself, I will do half the size tomorrow, but I just dont!!! Reason being I think I will get to work, and by around 10am, I will be starving, and eating rubbish - So if I eat a big bowl of porridge, I am full until sushi time : )

Summer time, I love museli, Special K with berries, Greek yoghurt with fruit, Smooties with oats etc

But I am going to have to cut down my portion sizes, as I am never going to get to 9 stone 7lbs, I will be stuck at 9 stone 12 forever!!!

I dont know how some people (Like my mum) just cant stand breakfast, and never has it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have a big bowl of porridge every morning too and can't really see the problem with it. I see other people's diaries and they eat a slice of white toast with jam on for 150 calories and wonder a) what nutrients are in that and b) how on earth they manage to survive until lunchtime!

I use skimmed milk, sometimes with some cinnamon on top, sometimes banana. Remember if you swap milk for water you are losing nutrients as well as calories!!
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Malinsara - Yes we are very very alike..........Its scary!! We seem to like the same things food wise!!!

Yes I really really should make a smaller portion, but in the morning, some how, I dont know how, the whole bowl gets filled up, every morning I keep saying to myself, I will do half the size tomorrow, but I just dont!!! Reason being I think I will get to work, and by around 10am, I will be starving, and eating rubbish - So if I eat a big bowl of porridge, I am full until sushi time : )

Summer time, I love museli, Special K with berries, Greek yoghurt with fruit, Smooties with oats etc

But I am going to have to cut down my portion sizes, as I am never going to get to 9 stone 7lbs, I will be stuck at 9 stone 12 forever!!!

I dont know how some people (Like my mum) just cant stand breakfast, and never has it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly the same re smaller portion tomorrow! It feels like the best meal of the day!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    A cup of raw oats is a lot....I cook up half a cup and get plenty to eat....but oats are healthy and delicious, so go for it. Seconding the suggestion of almond milk, its great.