Does The Medifast diet work?

Options

Replies

• walters1227
    Options
    Yes it does. I've lost 31 lbs in a month. I have about 140 to lose but this is a good start. I tried medifast before and lost 55 lbs in 6 months but then got pregnant so I had to stop.

Many years ago I lost 135 lbs through my own sweat and tears... 7 days a week of 1.5 hours of cardio and weight training every other day. However, that was before having two kids and a high profile demanding job. I simply don't have that kind of time anymore. I can only fit in 4 workouts a week at 40 minutes a piece on the elliptical. Call me lazy if you want but medifast fits my hectic lifestyle and allows me to spend the limited time I have with my babies and husband instead of cranking out hours at the gym.

And before you all go saying that I am one of those failures that regained weight that was lost, let me set the record straight. I kept those 135 lbs off for over 3 years, then unexpectedly got blessed with a pregnancy that we never thought possible. However, that pregnancy landed me on bed rest for 3.5 months. I will admit that lying in bed all day an onl being allowed to use the bathroom and take an occasional wash off in th sink for that long after bing super active for so many years and constantly worrying about weather or not my on or I would live through the pregnancy and deliver sunk me into a deep depression and I stress ate and m husband enabled by bringing me all the crap I asked for. So yeah, I stuffed my face for months while I laid there on m back. Until I found medifast after having my on,i felt pretty hopeless. Now that I have been blessed with my second and last child, I knew that I would be getting back on medifast the moment it was feasible after giving birth. I am also confident I can transition and keep the weight off because I learned a lot through the experience of being on bedrest
  • walters1227
    Options
    I got cut off... So before jumping on the bandwagon and discouraging someone from trying something that could potentially save their life, be glad that he is willing to at least try. Medifast is certainly not an easy or lazy diet. Like any other approach to eating, it's mind over matter. You have to have some serious willpower to be successful but the relatively quick results keep you motivated.
  • walters1227
    Options
    Sorry for the typos. I can't seem to correct them on my iPad. Hopefully you all get the gist of what I'm saying.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It's not for everyone.
    My friends (married couple) were on it.
    The husband made it to goal and is keeping it off.
    The wife quit right before she made it to goal and said shed try to
    take the rest off normally.
    She's now closet eating (caught her with a king twix) and has gained almost half of it back.
  • roxbox2013
    roxbox2013 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My father was on it under doctor's supervision. He lost a tremendous amount of weight, but as soon as he quit the diet, he gained it all back from nachos and hamburgers.

Additionally, I thought the food was pretty disgusting.

I wouldn't do it, personally. I enjoy cooking far too much and trying new recipes.
  • nnaannccyyw
    nnaannccyyw Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I know it is expensive but so is his eating habits of grabbing a snack during break and eating breakfast out every morning. So I'm hoping that with him not doing that anymore it will make up the difference. But I'm also hoping that his body will adjust to eating several small meals per day instead of 3 large ones and snack in between.

It will end up costing you less if he is on Medifast then. If he really wants to lose the weight, and he is really ready for the change, he will be able to do it. I've seen some people that start a "diet", when what they really need is a lifestyle change, who IMO, aren't really ready and try to use every excuse in the book not to follow the plan as it is written. Oh the food tastes bad, or I didn't lose enough weight this week, or I went to a party etc. where there was (insert excuse here), etc, etc. If you really want to lose weight, in a healthy way and at a faster pace and you want to learn how to keep it off, then Medifast is the plan to use. And IMO, it is especially good for people with a lot of weight to lose. I know I'm doing very well because I stick to the plan as written without any "add-ons" or extras, but I have lost 105 pounds in 15 weeks. I think that's a pretty good rate, don't you?
  • nnaannccyyw
    Options
    My father was on it under doctor's supervision. He lost a tremendous amount of weight, but as soon as he quit the diet, he gained it all back from nachos and hamburgers.

Additionally, I thought the food was pretty disgusting.

I wouldn't do it, personally. I enjoy cooking far too much and trying new recipes.

That's because he just quit the diet instead of going through the transition and maintenance phases to learn how to eat the way he should be, to get the correct amount of calories/carbs/nutrition daily and went back to his old ways. You can't do that if you really want to lose weight and keep it off. You have to learn to change the bad habits that got you unhealthy and fat in the first place.
  • nnaannccyyw
    Options
    It does the same thing that can be done here. And its about $300 a month. I tried it, and the food is disgusting. Its all dehydrated stuff.

Have you actually tried all the foods they have to offer? And have you done the Medifast plan for at least several weeks, or is that your assumption? Because I have been on the plan for 15 weeks and my experience was totally different from what you are saying. Some foods are not as good as others, but there are plenty of choices to find out what you like best to sustain you for a long period of time, that are quite good IMO. And as for the $300 a month. I bet if most people total up what they spend $5 at a time, it will come out to a lot more, especially if the person is obese and eating at fast food restaurants like McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Starbucks, etc. I found that what I pay for Medifast monthly is actually saving me $s.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Sure it will work but is it sustainable? I don't know.
  • nnaannccyyw
    Options
    It sucks that Medifast gets such a bad reputation on message boards like this when people are only looking for information and personal experiences about the diet and most of the people who answer have never tried it personally and have only negative things to say about it.

1st of all, if your husband isn't in the right mindset to put in the work, not give up, and change his lifestyle permanently to lose the weight, then NO diet is going to work for him. Like you said, he'll probably easily get discouraged when things get tough and will probably be more susceptible to "cheating" when the temptation arises. None of us got to the weight we are in 1 day or even 1 month, its going to take time to take it off, period. That being said, Medifast does provide pretty big weight loss from the get go.

Very well said, and this comes from a real Medifast experience! Don't knock it if you don't really know first hand.
    Now, I personally am on Medifast currently and have just finished my second week and am down 10 lbs so far! You may think I don't have much to say experience wise but they say the first two weeks for any "diet" is the toughest. Let me tell you, I love it! Unlike popular belief, not all the food is dehydrated and nothing that I've tried was gross to the point that I would not willingly eat it again. Your taste buds do have to adjust to it but after a few days on plan, everything to me started tasting pretty decent. Some of the foods are so tasty that after I eat them, I feel the guilt as if I have cheated!

People say this is a lazy diet or that it doesn't teach you good eating habits for the long run. To that I say, is there ever a lazy way to lose weight???? It is always a challenge to lose weight and any movement of the scale in the right direction should always be something to celebrate, not put down. Medifast DOES teach you good eating habits so that when you are done losing weight you can easily transition into the rest of your life without gaining back. That is, if you actually see the transition through to the end and do not immediately go back to eating sludge because your are skinny. Medifast teaches you, and your body, to eat smaller meals every 2-3 hours and that right there is a great start. I am at the point now where it is like clockwork with my hunger and it being time to eat, and I feel great now that I am not eating 2-3 over-sized meals per day. Furthermore, you have the ability to eat 1 "real food" meal a day that you have to prepare. The basic guidelines are 3 servings of veggies and 1 serving (5-6oz) of protein. The rest is up to you! That leaves so much room to experiment and even eat out at restaurants if you like, something that I imagine all of us still want to do. Once you get close to the amount of weight you want to lose you start the transition phase where you start eating 2 real meals a day and only 4 Medifast meals (as opposed to the standard 5 MF meals/ 1 real meal). From there, you slowly start adding in foods like fruits, dairy, grains etc back into your diet until you are off plan completely. I know a lot of people that continue to have whatever their favorite Medifast meals are even when they are done with the program because it is so easy to grab and go while getting something satiating and only 100 cals!

Ok, so there is my rant about PRO Medifast diet. I know I personally went for Medifast because there are such an overwhelming number of success stories and positive reviews from real people that you just do not find with any other diets aka. pills, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers etc. Furthermore, Medifast provides you with 100% all the nutrients and nutritional requirements your body SHOULD be getting every single day. This is something that I was terrible at on my own where I would assume that a Lean Cuisine or 100 cal snack packs of your favorite junk food was an acceptable diet.

Medifast is very strict and there is no wiggle room, you are either on plan or not but if you are determined that "this is the time I reach my goals, no excuses" then there is no way this won't work.
  • nnaannccyyw
    Options
    I tried it in November. Lost 13 pounds and, had to stop. For the most part it was pretty nasty tasting. The shakes are okay and, some of the bars. But the eggs, and soups etc. HORRIBLE. They will let you trade in so many packages for different....but, it was just as bad. I just threw out boxes of the stuff...I am sure some may like it. Everyone has different tastes. But, it is so expensive and, for me so disappointing. I stayed hungry and, dreaded to eat the stuff. Hope he finds something that helps and, he can tolerate.

Really?! How long did you do it for? You should have given it some time and tasted all the foods they have to offer before giving up. There are millions of people who eat Medifast foods every day and they've found the Medifast foods they like, you aren't a typical case. If you stayed hungry, chances are you didn't make it past the first couple of days, because the first couple of days when your body is transitioning into ketosis, you do feel hungry, but if you stick it out, that passes and it's worth the effort you put into it. If you tally up all the money you spend each month on other unnecessary things, it may cost a bit more; or it may cost a lot less (as is true in my case), but how can you really put a $ sign on becoming healthy, thin and happy? Sorry you didn't work for you like it does for so many people.
  • nnaannccyyw
    Options
    It sucks that Medifast gets such a bad reputation on message boards like this when people are only looking for information and personal experiences about the diet and most of the people who answer have never tried it personally and have only negative things to say about it.

1st of all, if your husband isn't in the right mindset to put in the work, not give up, and change his lifestyle permanently to lose the weight, then NO diet is going to work for him. Like you said, he'll probably easily get discouraged when things get tough and will probably be more susceptible to "cheating" when the temptation arises. None of us got to the weight we are in 1 day or even 1 month, its going to take time to take it off, period. That being said, Medifast does provide pretty big weight loss from the get go.

Now, I personally am on Medifast currently and have just finished my second week and am down 10 lbs so far! You may think I don't have much to say experience wise but they say the first two weeks for any "diet" is the toughest. Let me tell you, I love it! Unlike popular belief, not all the food is dehydrated and nothing that I've tried was gross to the point that I would not willingly eat it again. Your taste buds do have to adjust to it but after a few days on plan, everything to me started tasting pretty decent. Some of the foods are so tasty that after I eat them, I feel the guilt as if I have cheated!

People say this is a lazy diet or that it doesn't teach you good eating habits for the long run. To that I say, is there ever a lazy way to lose weight???? It is always a challenge to lose weight and any movement of the scale in the right direction should always be something to celebrate, not put down. Medifast DOES teach you good eating habits so that when you are done losing weight you can easily transition into the rest of your life without gaining back. That is, if you actually see the transition through to the end and do not immediately go back to eating sludge because your are skinny. Medifast teaches you, and your body, to eat smaller meals every 2-3 hours and that right there is a great start. I am at the point now where it is like clockwork with my hunger and it being time to eat, and I feel great now that I am not eating 2-3 over-sized meals per day. Furthermore, you have the ability to eat 1 "real food" meal a day that you have to prepare. The basic guidelines are 3 servings of veggies and 1 serving (5-6oz) of protein. The rest is up to you! That leaves so much room to experiment and even eat out at restaurants if you like, something that I imagine all of us still want to do. Once you get close to the amount of weight you want to lose you start the transition phase where you start eating 2 real meals a day and only 4 Medifast meals (as opposed to the standard 5 MF meals/ 1 real meal). From there, you slowly start adding in foods like fruits, dairy, grains etc back into your diet until you are off plan completely. I know a lot of people that continue to have whatever their favorite Medifast meals are even when they are done with the program because it is so easy to grab and go while getting something satiating and only 100 cals!

Ok, so there is my rant about PRO Medifast diet. I know I personally went for Medifast because there are such an overwhelming number of success stories and positive reviews from real people that you just do not find with any other diets aka. pills, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers etc. Furthermore, Medifast provides you with 100% all the nutrients and nutritional requirements your body SHOULD be getting every single day. This is something that I was terrible at on my own where I would assume that a Lean Cuisine or 100 cal snack packs of your favorite junk food was an acceptable diet.

Medifast is very strict and there is no wiggle room, you are either on plan or not but if you are determined that "this is the time I reach my goals, no excuses" then there is no way this won't work.
    Here's my experience and what the statistics say: Approximately 90% of all dieters regain weight after reaching a goal.The "success" stories will only apply to the 10% who make it. I deal DAILY with people who have come to me for advice on how to lose weight with a diet.
    My answer is ALWAYS the same: DIETS ARE TEMPORARY weight loss. People who lose weight and keep it off did it from a lifestyle change (which is what diet companies, programs, etc. try to preach later to you).
    When people are ready to make the actual change, that's when the real test begins.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

True, but if you are willing to not just do a plan or a "diet" and you are ready and willing to make a lifestyle change (which is what the Medifast plan teaches you to do), you will be one of the success stories. This also applies even for people who are dieting just using myfitnesspal. If they don't make real changes to their life and go back to the way they were eating before, or the things they were doing before losing weight, they will gain it all back.
  • abbysattic
    abbysattic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm going to speak positively about Medifast. I started Medifast in October with the goal to lose 20# before Christmas. Day 1 was pretty tough. I was hungry. I recall going to bed that night thinking I had made a mistake and could I actually do this. Day 2 was a lot better and by day 3 there were no cravings at all.

Does the food taste great? No. Is it ok? Absolutely. I like that there are different types of meal replacements, like shakes, cereals and eggs for breakfast, soups and stews for lunch as well as snacks and desserts.

In the past when I've tried to lose weight, never more than 20 or 25 # at a time, I've dropped the weight but I still felt fat. Why? IMO, it's because I replaced all the junk I was eating with other carbs. True, they were healthy carbs, but carbs none the less. I could easily eat an entire bunch of grapes, for example. I should note that when I did WW, I used the core programs, so I never learned about portion control.

Anyway, I'm now 29# less than I was in October. My BMI is 20. I'm 55 AND, my belly fat is gone. I can only attribute it to getting rid of those extra carbs. I've joined a bootcamp class and I love it. I'm eating 6 meals a day, 3 smaller meals PLUS 3 larger healthy snacks. I probably have 1 medifast meal a day still as I'm finishing off my supply.

Yes, it is expensive. But if you stick to the program, it works.
  • wade78
    wade78 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It does work to some extent but I was miserable when I did it. Also my head wasn't in the game so I struggled to stick to it so i gave up. I can see how these meal replacement diets could work for some people. Personally I've found joining this site, logging what I eat and working out has been the most effective. My weight loss has been slower but I feel more in control of what I do, if that makes any sense.

If you do decide to go on it then make sure you follow the plan to the letter especially when you've reached your goal cos a lot of people put on weight really quickly afterwards. If you are concerned about the costs, some of the meals are available on eBay which are slightly cheaper. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    wow, 105 lbs in less than 4 months!!
  • raederr
    Options
    my opthamalogist recommended it to me, but since it is almost all soy based i couldn't do it since i had breast cancer. his daughter won't do it either. she is a nutritionist and knows that soy for women can cause breast cancer. so ladies just be careful and get your mammo's regularly.
  • CindyOSG
    CindyOSG Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I currently use medifast as a supplement and have found great success combined with eating right/watching calories. I never used to eat breakfast and would go 5-6 hrs between lunch & dinner so my metabolism was really screwed up. I now have a shake for breakfast and keep the pretzels & cinnamon soy crisps in my desk for the late morning & afternoon snacks. I eat a healthy lunch & dinner so I'm eating "regular food". I have found that having the medifast on hand for snacks keeps me on track a lot easier (Don't eat the cheese pizza bites - they are horrible!) And the ice cream for dessert isn't bad either. I have lost 47lb since September and am currently seeing a dietician - she even agrees that they work well because of the low cal & high fiber/protein content. But like all the other posters stated - he has to be ready and find what works for him!
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I've learned/heard many times, if it has the word "diet" in it, then it's probably no good in the long run. I've never really heard of Medifast, but from what I've read, it's expensive and disgusting food that puts you at a caloric deficit. If he's determined to lose weight, then he should commit to using MFP, watching his calories, and beginning to exercise. He doesn't need to spend $100's a month to lose weight when he can do it basically for free.

A diet isn't going to keep the weight off. He may lose the weight, but if the diet isn't something he'd be willing to maintain for the rest of his life, then he'd gain it right back. It needs to be a change in lifestyle.
  • that_Va_chick
    Options
    Aco worker of mine was on it and lost a massive amount of weight. I really wanted to get on it but couldnt afford the $300 month food on top of the consultation fee which foe me was $1100 dollars from beginning to maintain.
  • davemacnevin
    Options
    MEDIFAST IS A MIRACLE PLAN THAT WORKED GREAT FOR ME HOWEVER AFTER I GOT OFF IT I RELAPSED INTO MY OLD HABITS AND DIDNT DO THE MAINTENANCE PLAN . I WAS ON MEDIFAST FOR 6 MONTHS AND LOST 110 POUNDS . I NEVER ONCE CHEATED IN THOSE 6 MONTHS SO IT WORKED AS IT IS ADVERTISED TO DO . I AM NOW BACK ON MEDIFAST FOR THE LAST 4 DAYS AND HAVE DROPPED 9 POUNDS . I AM AIMING AT LOSING ANOTHER 110 POUNDS AND THEN HOPEFULLY I CAN TRANSITION BETTER NEXT .