30DS advice please!!!!

Options
I really want to do 30DS along with physique 57 but I'm nervous if 30DS will be too rough on my knee and it is finally feeling better from trying insanity. Any thoughts on 30DS? and if I use a thick foam mat under my feet while doing 30DS would that help with impact?

Replies

• Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    30DS has a lot of jumping moves, some of them can be modified, but some, not so much...Its hard to say, but if you have already injured your knee, it might be too much....
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have a very weak knee and have been doing the 30DS for 10 days now, ( had to take 4 rest days ) with any exercise I strap my knee up but felt that it needed the rest. You've just got to listen to your body, don't push yourself if any joints hurt. You will know the difference between aches from exercise and pains from injuries. Good luck.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Compared to Insanity, 30DS is still high impact but not as much..

I use four connect-a-mats which help a lot with the impact. There are modified versions of the exercises - when I had shin splints from running, I would substitute jump rope with shadow boxing which you will learn about when you see 30DS.

All I can say is to try it but it is rumoured to be hurt the knees.. the overall program is great but the cardio exercises again may be hard on the knees
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    If your knee hurts, I wouldn't do so many of the jumping moves. Modify them or do some other cardio instead to help keep you heart rate up and your body moving. It might not be the same as Jillian is doing but she says injuries are not allowed so listen to your body, do what can do without hurting yourself, make it work for you and no getting hurt.
  • Millie2045
    Options
    I've found this post really interesting as I have been doing the
    30 DS for 3 days now and all my muscles ache straight after
    but are ok the next day apart from my knees which are really
    hurting so I've taken a break today!!
  • I really want to try it... the results people have posted are amazing
  • Yea I'm just gonna stick with physique 57 and tons of walking its a shame though people looked great in their after pics but from what I've read and seen physique 57 should do awesome too
  • SilverLotusGirl
    Options
    I do the Bar Method which is similar to Physique 57.

I still say try 30DS. You can watch it on youtube. See if it looks fun. If it does try it. If you have to modify a move to stick with it, modify it.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I still say try 30DS. You can watch it on youtube. See if it looks fun. If it does try it. If you have to modify a move to stick with it, modify it.
    [/quote]

^^This!

It is definitely tough on the knees:
    I had never had knee pain before, and after doing Level 1 for 3 days, I developed a nagging pain behind my left knee cap. Level 2 was MUCH better on my knees. I had no problems there. I'm now on day 3 of Level 3, and I'm starting to feel that twinge again. SO, from now on, I'm modifying some of the moves until I finish.

Not sure how severe your knee issue is, but I agree with trying it out, and changing/adapting the moves that involve jumping and knee strain. It's worth a shot! I've had great results so far, so I can highly recommend the workout...it kicks butt!
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I actually SUSTAINED a knee injury from 30DS Level 2. So if your knee isn't fully healed, or is touchy in any way, I would take it easy and do something less high impact until you have a significant amount of full heal time with it. I'm talking like 2 weeks minimum of no pain whatsoever in your knee, and then do the beginner modifications. It's a great workout, and I am a strong advocate for it, but there are no bones about it. It's hard on your knees. Period. Also, if/when you start, make sure you're RICEing after your sessions. This will decrease the chance of a repeat injury.
  • BeTheFire
    BeTheFire Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    WHat is "30DS"?
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've started and stopped 30DS a few times now. I love it, I just get bored with it after a bit. I have hurt myself with it though, not my knees, but my back. The jumping is KILLER on the spine, and I can only imagine what it does for someone who has knee problems. You can always try a day and see how you feel, the first level is: squats, jumping jacks, jump ropes, and side lunges.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I actually SUSTAINED a knee injury from 30DS Level 2. So if your knee isn't fully healed, or is touchy in any way, I would take it easy and do something less high impact until you have a significant amount of full heal time with it. I'm talking like 2 weeks minimum of no pain whatsoever in your knee, and then do the beginner modifications. It's a great workout, and I am a strong advocate for it, but there are no bones about it. It's hard on your knees. Period. Also, if/when you start, make sure you're RICEing after your sessions. This will decrease the chance of a repeat injury.

I agree. My chiro suggested I do the punches during the jumping stuff instead, or I bet you can just march in place to keep your heart rate up also.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    Options
    I march in place, do fast modified jacks, do big steps to the side with my arms going, I do boxing things. Cardio is about keeping your heart rate up, you don't have to jump to do that
  • jmcgathy1
    jmcgathy1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would try it out. Level one is jumping jacks, jump rope move which can impact your knees if they are still out of whack. 30 days shred is intense but the whole time she guides you into moves that will not injure your knees. Just listen to your body when you try it and if your knee tries to give out or is in pain, switch the move up that will get your heart pumpin'... Good Luck!! I Love 30DS
  • loriepaulin
    loriepaulin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have a bad toe and can't jump on (joint misalignment that eventually will need surgery). My boyfriend who trains states for me when she does the jumping jacks do a sumo squat and still do the arm motion. That's what I do when she does the jumping jacks. Hope this helps!
  • I have a bad toe and can't jump on (joint misalignment that eventually will need surgery). My boyfriend who trains states for me when she does the jumping jacks do a sumo squat and still do the arm motion. That's what I do when she does the jumping jacks. Hope this helps!

Has modifying effected your results at all?
  • snarf432
    snarf432 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    WHat is "30DS"?
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred
  • loriepaulin
    loriepaulin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Nope, my calorie burn was the same for me. I have sinced moved on to the Body Revolution and away from the 30 day shred, but I lost 4 pds in the 30 days with her.