Cheap fruit in the uk! Can anyone help?!

Options
2»

Replies

• lokidip
    Options
    Local markets again - you can freeze it too if you use it for cooking. I like frozen grapes in the summer but that might be slightly odd. Supermarket wise- I use Iceland. Not a lot of variety but a lot of good deals.
  • Angie1366
    Options
    Or buy an organic box delivered once a week - Seriously more filling as organic has more fibre and less water - you are eating real fruit that way rather than mass produced fruit. It may be a bit more expensive but you may only eat one apple rather than two supermarket ones!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I buy almost all my fruit and veg from Aldi and have never had a problem with it going off, in most cases I think it's better than the big supermarkets. I used to go to Bolton Market but found last year their prices really shot up. Avocados are the exception to the rule, they're like bricks and wouldn't ripen if you kept them for the next 6 months :laugh: They have a Super 6 on offer ALL the time, sometimes 69p sometimes 39p, usually a mix of fruit and veg. http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/product_range/4862.htm

If you try to buy seasonal stuff you'll find it cheaper - the BBC food site is really useful, this link shows you what's in season (over to the right you can go in month by month so you know what's coming up next :smile: )
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/seasons/january

ETA. Don't necessarily just think o fresh fruit, Aldi sell BIG tubs of peaches and pears in juice, really low cals and they are lovely on porridge or Greek yoghurt! Dried fruit is good too, just more difficult to keep the portions a bit smaller xx

I agree. The Aldi Super 6 offers are really good - I got a couple of packs of three onions this week for 39p each, which is fantastic. Expensive items such as red and yellow peppers are also often cheaper. Although do keep an eye on size - they had some savoy cabbages in this week for 39p but they were half the size of the ones on sale for 80p at Sainsburys, so perhaps not such a bargain.

And the idea about buying seasonal is spot on (and also helps our local farmers as local produce is in stock in different seasons - lettuce from down the road in Lancashire tastes infinitely better than the ones shipped over in the middle of winter from Spain). Just print off an onilne list of seasonal produce and stick it inside your kitchen cupboard for reference.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Local markets again - you can freeze it too if you use it for cooking. I like frozen grapes in the summer but that might be slightly odd. Supermarket wise- I use Iceland. Not a lot of variety but a lot of good deals.

Frozen grapes are amazing - reminds me of lemonade ice lollies I used to have as a kid!

I also buy bananas when they are cheap and peel and freeze them - then just take out as needed and blitz in a food processor until they turn into Mr Whippy style icecream. Amazing - especially if you add some cocoa power!
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Another vote for supporting your local independents! Our local greengrocer is a lot cheaper than the big supermarkets, it's locally grown, delivered fresh every morning and lasts for ages - plus I prefer to give my business to a local independent over large corporations.
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This is a question for uk based MFP members. I get through quite a bit of fruit and seem to find myself visiting asda far too often to buy fresh fruit! Also it's so expensive as pretty much everything is out of season at the moment :-( I'm wondering where the cheapest place is to buy fresh fruit? Are lidl or aldi etc actually much cheaper than the leading supermarkets?

I agree with the suggestion for the local markets, they have the best (and freshest!) fruit around. Or Aldi is a great option, I buy a lot of my fruit there as well and it is pretty cheap. Another option is Tesco (they usually have sales on their fruit like buy 2 for £3 on grapes, etc).
    Side note, my husband is US military and we are stationed here in the UK and I buy the majority of my fruit off base since it is cheaper (even with the exchange rate) and fresher than the commissary on base.
  • TheKeithEllis
    TheKeithEllis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Lidl is a good source for frozen veg I find, not tried them for fruit, but tbh I don't put a value on fruit other than the health benefits. I also churn through fruit daily, mostly oranges, pears and apples, but I also love the berries. I use a combination of www.riverford.co.uk for a weekly veg/fruit box and visit local farm shops for fresh veg and topping up the fruit. Like I say I don't worry about the cost of fruit, I enjoy it, it's good for me and ultimately what I spend on fruit means I don't spend it on crap. *

* usually ;)
  • Westy5866
    Options
    Local Grocer or farm shop

100% agree, i've read and watched docs on the TV about supermarket F&V. If you brought one piece from each and tasted you would know the difference straight away.