Sugar Free Until Valentines Day

Options
So.. I know I should probably always aspire to stay away from sugar, but I have a serious sweet tooth. Even when I'm eating my cleanest, I still usually squeeze in some chocolate once a day at some point. But, habits like that have to change. I'm challenging myself to quit sugar cold turkey (starting tomorrow) for the next 10 days to prove to myself that I don't need it! A treat once in awhile is fine, but I can't indulge every day when there is work on my body/health to be done.

What are some tips and tricks you have for biting that sweet tooth in the butt? I have heard about substituting fruit for chocolate/sugar cravings. I also know some dark chocolate is ok once in awhile. But are there any tips and tricks some of you have out there to overcome the cravings?

Replies

• araes2102
    araes2102 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So I am understanding you don't want any sweets? Because doing low carb I have found a couple sugar free sweets I enjoy. But surprisingly, once I was off sugar for a few days, i didn't even crave the sugar free sweets anymore! Maybe you will find that as well, especially if you cut other carbs as well.
  • meg516
    meg516 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    any advice for kicking the sweet tooth?
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    try increasing your protein intake. Eat smaller meals more often and include protein in them all. Make sure you don't completely avoid fats either. A lot of people avoid fats because they fear they make them fat but you still need some quality fats to function properly. I have never tried it but there is an amino acid you can take that helps with cravings. I thin it is L-Glutamine but I would look it up. Good luck.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I take a Chromium supplement & eat a lot of cinnamon, they help control cravings & regulate blood sugar levels. I stopped eating sugar totally 2 years ago & lost 50lbs in 6 months. I got off track & started with the sugar again & gained it all back, so I'm starting over again. It really does make a huge difference. I found snacking on sweet peppers (orange,yellow or red) really helpful when I was craving somethign sweet