Too tempted by wine!

Options
:embarassed: Hi guys,

I have a healthy vegetarian diet, do Zumba 3 times a week, the gym twice a week, walk the dogs 5 days a week, and do a weekly TRX class.
HOWEVER, my friends all love a glass of wine or ten on a weeknight and a weekend...I'm finding my self discipline is really lacking in this department! So I just turn them down to turn away temptation...Not very sociable of me!

I sound like a total alcoholic. I'm not, but I recognise this is my downfall. Give me a cupboardful of chocolate, biscuits or cake and it'll just sit there, I'm not interested....But this is my vice, and it's making me really angry at myself! If I went tee total surely I'd lose the extra flesh round my middle?! I'm not fat, but I've got a less toned tummy than I find acceptable!

Any tips or support welcome!
x

Replies

• MummyMikaela
    MummyMikaela Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I had some low calorie wine last week and i have to say not too bad, If I'd had been give it and not known it was low cal i wouldn't have questioned it! plus it was only £3 a bottle!

If I'm out now i have either wine and then a fizzy water or i drink spirits!
  • bexblonde
    Options
    I'm exactly the same! I made a resolution for January that I'd try to only drink wine at the weekends, which I've stuck to more or less. My stomach is SO much flatter, seeing the difference it has made has really motivated me to keep my drinking to the weekends. I've had days when I have had alcohol in the week, but far less than I used to.
    You can do it!
  • wonderbolt
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/05/10/alcohol/

This is a fun and interesting article on the effects of alcohol on weightloss :)
  • pinky_pinkster
    pinky_pinkster Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same! Except with cocktails and spirits - probs much worse than wine! The only way I could manage and still go out with friends was to say I was tee-total, I'd tell them I wasn't drinking for a month or 2 months etc and I really stuck to it. But be prepared for negative comments - my friends told me I was boring and constantly questioned why I was doing it BUT in time they just got used to it and accepted it, I started feeling much better and realized it felt so good to still go out with friends and not have a hangover the next day, plus the smug feeling of getting up on a Saturday and Sunday morning to work out made it worth it! Now I rarely even want to drink because I love the good feeling of not being affected by alcohol. Good luck anyway - challenging myself to be teetotal for 6 months was the best thing I've ever done! :flowerforyou:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Ten might be a bit much but a bottle of wine isn't too bad - 500 calories or so.
    Not to be an enabler here but if you go for a 20 minute jog on Friday and do 20 minutes on the eliptical on Sunday burning 250 each time, then you've just bought yourself a bottle of wine on Saturday night.

On the other hand, when I drink I tend to loosen up a bit, get friendly, let my hair down, and eat everything I can lay my jesus-loving hands on. Ooh, you know what sounds good? A box of graham crackers! Oof, carb coma, better balance it out with a whole jar of peanut butter. MORE WINE!

In theory a little drinkity drink is a great idea, in practice, for me, I have to be cautious :-)
  • Maplegirl
    Options
    That blog post at nerdfitness is a superb read for anyone like those of us here who have trouble giving up alcohol. My takeaway? Pick the days of the week to imbibe: for me, Friday and Sunday. Cut out the other days.

I agree that those days when I have three glasses of wine, suddenly all the sugary/salty/carbo-rich foods start looking really really good. I'm going to give this a try and see if any weight loss results from cutting those empty calories during the week.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ten might be a bit much but a bottle of wine isn't too bad - 500 calories or so.
    Not to be an enabler here but if you go for a 20 minute jog on Friday and do 20 minutes on the eliptical on Sunday burning 250 each time, then you've just bought yourself a bottle of wine on Saturday night.

On the other hand, when I drink I tend to loosen up a bit, get friendly, let my hair down, and eat everything I can lay my jesus-loving hands on. Ooh, you know what sounds good? A box of graham crackers! Oof, carb coma, better balance it out with a whole jar of peanut butter. MORE WINE!

In theory a little drinkity drink is a great idea, in practice, for me, I have to be cautious :-)

This was HILARIOUS! Because it's me in a nutshell, or shall we say-me in a bottle of wine! While the wine isn't the most awful thing on earth the bag of chips that goes with it is. I litterally had to stop buying wine since I couldn't keep my face out of it. It is the one thing I've given up. Booooo!