Whats the best food to eat at a mexican restaurant

Options
So going to lunch w/ friends they aren't dieting and I feel bad saying no to where they want to go.. Not really sure what I should eat there.. any suggestions?

Replies

• CarolinaBeachGirl2
    Options
    Mexican is my down fall so I have lots of practice in this area in treating myself but still eating well. I LOVE chips and salsa so I order the chicken or veggie fajita with no tortilla wraps. No wraps mean I can eat chips. I also love Mexican chicken soup full of flavor and veggies.

Good Luck
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Chicken Fajita!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Tortilla soup.
    Chicken taco salad with salsa for dressing.
    Chicken tacos al carbon.

Substitute charro or black beans in place of refried. Lay off the chips and tortillas. The rice is usually full of fat too.
  • bkr45678
    bkr45678 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When I went with my mom and bro last week, I ordered one beef fajita taco, skipped the tortilla and dipped the meat in some guacamole, yum. Had maybe 2 chips and a bite of my brothers rice.
  • MasterKat
    Options
    Can't go wrong with a chicken taco salad...salsa for dressing. Or fajitas with 1 or no tortillas is what I usually do.
  • CancunJulie
    CancunJulie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It can be healthy if you follow some guidelines. Do not let them put that basket of chips in front of you. Skip beans, rice and cheese.
    My stand by is chicken tacos with no cheese and extra pico. Each taco is about 150 calories that way.
  • fairbanksk
    fairbanksk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Chips and Queso ummmm boy do I miss that along with my enchiladas and rice.... Going to see if I can go without ordering my favorites.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Skip the refried beans
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I usually get vegetable fajitas with corn tortillas. And a margarita, always a margarita.
  • 197Kiki
    197Kiki Posts: 129
    Options
    Thanks!! I ended up getting chicken tacos only two no cheese and only had 4 chips w/ salsa! :)
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I ended up getting chicken tacos only two no cheese and only had 4 chips w/ salsa! :)

Good job! Sounds like you were able to have your "cake" and eat it, too!

After years of deprivation and binging, this time around I'm all about not depriving myself. Instead, it is about better choices on most days and moderation on those special days.
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    Seafod/Shrimp Ceviche!

You's be surprised how tasty and low in calories it is! Between 200-300 cal a cup!!
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    Probably the chicken fajitas, minus the tortillas, if you can skip them.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Fried Ice Cream.

Trust me.
  • Menelaus35
    Options
    Chicken Fajita!

FTW

To this man, you should listen.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    my personal opinion whenever I eat out, I avoid the bread, pasta, rice & potato!

I eat the meat + 2 x veg!

job done!
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I tend to go with mixed fajitas (beef/pork/chicken/bacon/shrimp) sans tortillas. It comes with rice/beans/lettuce/guac and I ask for no sour cream. I don't eat the rice or beans, but I mix the guac in with the fajitas and it is FANTASTIC. It's dairy free, very low carb and high protein.. just watch the sodium. :)

My downfall is margaritas. I went last night and didn't have one (yay!). I did get this 'Chicken Mexican Style' which was fajita chicken & veggies in a spicy tomato sauce. Fantastic!

Good luck, OP! :happy:
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    Chicken or pork fajitas.. black beans..keep the cheese to a minimum, skip the sour cream...Do corn tortillas or skip the tortilla altogether... You could also do Fajita salad with salsa as the dressing, add jalapenos..And most places have a grilled chicken or shrimp as well.. Yummy! If you love chips and salsa you can do 10 chips without too much damage... break them in half so they go further...And drink WATER to wash out all the sodium..Enjoy!!!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    We don't have any Mexican restaurants around here. All these posts sound amazing so I'm pretty glad we don't have one! Lol. X
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Fajitas! Or ill do a salad but i make sure its not in a shell. lol