Morning Workout: Eat First or Workout First

Options
I just found the Exercise on Demand channel on my digital cable and noticed they have Level 1 of the 30 day Shred. I would like to do this in morning but need to know which is better. To exercise first or to eat breakfast first? I have never been much of an exerciser so I am really just starting out.

Thank you for sharing your opinion with me.

Replies

• lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I really think it depends what works for you. For some people, they will feel sluggish and not work as hard if they haven't eaten. I personally feel quite ill if I eat and then work out too soon afterwards.
  • Bump319
    Bump319 Posts: 17
    Options
    I workout first thing in the morning. I usually eat something "light" about 30 minutes before I go to the gym. I usually eat a slice of turkey and a piece of cheese. I don't like for my stomach to feel "heavy" so I keep it light. Once I get home from the gym I'll eat a bigger breakfast but it's high protein (usually a protein shake). I'd try a variety of things and see what works the best for you. Good luck!!!
  • xquizitdame
    Options
    I believe you're pose to eat something first.
    I don't because it makes me feel sick.So i eat some
    fruit,vegetables, or a protein bar afterwards.
  • SherrellB
    SherrellB Posts: 6
    Options
    Eating befor I workout usually gives me energy during my workout. something light with carbs and protein usually 15 or 30 mins before i work out.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Good question! I've always wondered this, too. I don't usually feel up to eating when I wake up and I want to work out first... so I don't. But I worry about that. =\

They have that on On-Demand? We just got cable... am definitely checking this out in the morning!!
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think it's down to personal preference with this one. I have always been a "later breakfast eater" and always seem to have had the notion that if you work out first thing in the morning you burn your fat stores first as there are no foods to break down and burn. But like some people say they need the energy to workout!

So it just depends what is right for you. It's hard enough me getting up to exercise at 6am so I tend to get up and get straight into my Shred, then I have time to shower, make the packed lunches for the day and get dressed before the kids get up! I don't get time to eat until I get to work at 8am!

I have found that I really enjoy my morning workouts though - it's just the getting out of my warm bed bit that I find hard haha!
    -x-x-
  • KJL35
    KJL35 Posts: 9
    Options
    Like some people say i think it is personal preference, i go for a run at half 6 most mornings and never eat before i go, i get back have quick shower then grab a cereal bar.

haa haa P1nk1ncess that is the bit i struggle with too especially if my hubi still led there all snug under the duvet.
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    geri1geraldinesuzanne Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i do step aerobics in the morning after leaving my kids at school,before breakfast, i think i'd be sick the other way around. 25 mins of aerobics, sit ups and arm exercises, three glasses of water , breakfast and a shower.

but not everyones the same, perhaps you may feel faint of less energetic with an empty stomach. try both ways and see what works for you.

:smooched:

:explode:
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options

haa haa P1nk1ncess that is the bit i struggle with too especially if my hubi still led there all snug under the duvet.

I know, tell me about it! This morning my other half rolled over really lazily and asked what I was doing when I was getting changed at 6am - I told him I was going to do my 30 Day Shred dvd and he just grunted and took up the WHOLE of the bed! I was sooooo jealous, I almost got back in haha.
    -x-x-
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I eat afterwards... make myself earn my breakfast - LOL. It's just a personal preference really. If I work out in the evening before dinner, I need a snack though.
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    When I do morning workouts, I always eat first, even if it is something small. Usually I have a banana, 2 fat free fig newtons, or a granola bar. Sometimes if I know I am going to have a hard/long morning workout, I will get up early just to eat a peanut butter sandwich.

Then after my workout, I eat my breakfast!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I like fully fasted workouts (or runs) in the mornings - if I eat beforehand - I cramp up. So I do my workout, then eat breakfast.

That's just me, though. It all comes down to personal preference.
  • samfenton4
    samfenton4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My trainer has yelled at me for not eating before my morning workout. Your body needs the fuel to energize your body so you can make the most of your workout. If eating is too much then have a protein drink 30mins before you workout that way you wont feel sluggish. That gives your body what it needs to max out your workout! Good Luck!!
  • Ladeejulz
    Ladeejulz Posts: 56
    Options
    My trainer has yelled at me for not eating before my morning workout. Your body needs the fuel to energize your body so you can make the most of your workout. If eating is too much then have a protein drink 30mins before you workout that way you wont feel sluggish. That gives your body what it needs to max out your workout! Good Luck!!
    [/quote

I agree!! You should have a little something in your stomach. Although my husband refuses to eat anything before his workout, I on the other hand cannot workout on an empty stomach, it makes me feel sick. I don't eat much, usually just a small container 35g of fruit yogurt. It gives you little bit of carbs and a little protein.

Everyone is different though!! Try both ways and to what is right for you!! Good luck!!

Julie:flowerforyou: