Not losing weight. Frustrated. Argh!!

Options
Today was weigh in day... after a week of working out five times a week and being super strict about my calories I GAINED a pound. Weeks prior to this I lost a grand total of 1 pound per week. >___> I don't get it.

I'm assuming I'm making my calorie limit too low (1,200 a day) but even with the my fitness pal calculator when I set it to lose 2 pounds per week that was what was recommended to me. I try to eat 40% carbs 40% protein 20% fat.... but that rarely works out hahah.

Late last year I was very strict about saying no to carbs (no bread allowed) and I easily lost 18 pounds in one month. Last time I gained a whole bunch of weight a few years ago I remember that I had absolutely no problem losing at least 2 pounds a week (I think I burned like 5 pounds a week for a while) following exactly the same diet and exercise.

Please advice. =( Should I up my calories? Is there some trick that I'm missing?

EDIT: In my anger, I decided to look at the evil. Diet pills. Does anyone have any experience with these?
http://supplementreviews.com/usp-labs/oxyelite-pro

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Starting or increasing exercise can make your body hold several pounds of water weight for an indefinite period of time (up to 6 weeks I remember one poster saying). Get a measuring tape, judge by how clothes fit, and wait it out if you are eating enough to feel good and function.
  • marta07
    marta07 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    same thing ios happening to me . i lost 1 pund a week for 4 weeks then this week i gained one and im so pissed
  • mayamagallanes
    mayamagallanes Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    1lb? That could be water! I lost 8lbs my first 2 weeks then GAINED 10 in my third. Its now my 5th week and Ive lost 2. Dont be so impatient!! I would suggest measuring, I think you will def see results :)
  • kasper6325
    kasper6325 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you eating several small meals a day? That helps to keep your metabolism going. Also, when you are working out, change it up every few weeks. I think that helps with plateaus. Get rid of the scale. Muscle weighs more than fat and depending on the barometric pressure or time of month, you could gain temporary pounds (fluid). Do like MarDiaz says. Get the measuring tape out and judge by how clothes fit. Be patient and it will come. Make sure your carbs are coming from fruits and vegetables rather than bread, pasta and rice. And drink lots of water! Good Luck!
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Late last year I was very strict about saying no to carbs (no bread allowed) and I easily lost 18 pounds in one month. Last time I gained a whole bunch of weight a few years ago I remember that I had absolutely no problem losing at least 2 pounds a week (I think I burned like 5 pounds a week for a while) following exactly the same diet and exercise.
    Well, you are here now, so those past efforts didn't work in the long term.

Are you eating to make up for all the exercise? It's possible you aren't giving your body enough fuel.

Try finding your BMR (basal metabolic rate, the amount you'd need in a coma so you should never eat below this number) http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ and your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, which takes into account activity.) http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Usually people recommend a deficit of TDEE-10-20%.

Good luck!
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Remember how long it took you to put on the weight. Two pounds a week is a lot to ask of your body. Your period tends to mess up weight readings, so think of that. Also, from personal experience, I tend to hold weight a bit when I am strength training, so allow your muscles to adjust. I also lose when I am diligent with water intake. Finally- I agree with taking measurements! I always see the most results with lost inches- not weight. Be patient, feed your body good food, and you will have success:).
  • mssgeni
    mssgeni Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Clothes do feel loser, but I'm thinking it may just be my imagination. =o I guess it's time to buy a measuring tape! I did just recently start going to the gym on January (resolutionist style!) so hopefully it really is just water weight. =(

Oooh and I very, very rarely eat bread. Only when I have no choice, which is like a sandwich or something once in a blue moon. I try to say no to pasta as well, but I do like rice sometimes. =/ I'm pretty strict about my water as well.
    Are you eating to make up for all the exercise? It's possible you aren't giving your body enough fuel.

Try finding your BMR (basal metabolic rate, the amount you'd need in a coma so you should never eat below this number) http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ and your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, which takes into account activity.) http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Usually people recommend a deficit of TDEE-10-20%.

Good luck!
    Apparently my BMR is 1587.2, but I'm not sure I understand what TDEE refers to... Basically I should eat 20% less of that? =o Also, guilty on the not eating after exercise! I never add exercise to my dairy because I don't know if the treadmill readings are accurate and my fitness pal always says I burn different amounts. So I just skip it. :embarassed:
  • mssgeni
    mssgeni Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Remember how long it took you to put on the weight. Two pounds a week is a lot to ask of your body. Your period tends to mess up weight readings, so think of that. Also, from personal experience, I tend to hold weight a bit when I am strength training, so allow your muscles to adjust. I also lose when I am diligent with water intake. Finally- I agree with taking measurements! I always see the most results with lost inches- not weight. Be patient, feed your body good food, and you will have success:).

When I did the 1,200 cals a day years ago I put on a little weight during the years because of not so healthy eating but nothing extreme. Last year was horrible though. I gained 50 pounds in one year (bad diet plus anxiety medications that cause weight gain) and I'm never doing the no carb diet again... I literally gained those 18 pounds back in like 4 days after eating pizza and stuff. I agree, I'd rather do it slowly but surely.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.
  • jak12345
    jak12345 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm also having this experience -- 4 weeks of 1 hr a day of intense cardio followed by 15 - 30 mins of weightlifting and a reduced calorie diet -- gained 2 lbs! However, there has been a noticeable positive change in body -- didn't measure, but I'm going to start. I suspect the gain is largely due to water so I'm not too concerned -- everybody responds different, and differently over time. I'm going to stay with what I have been doing and see what happens in a month. Regardless, I feel great, so one goal achieved -- be patient and enjoy the ride -- success isn't always measured by pounds!
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Apparently my BMR is 1587.2, but I'm not sure I understand what TDEE refers to... Basically I should eat 20% less of that? =o Also, guilty on the not eating after exercise! I never add exercise to my dairy because I don't know if the treadmill readings are accurate and my fitness pal always says I burn different amounts. So I just skip it. :embarassed:
    TDEE is your maintenance calories. So eating below your maintenance = loss.

But really, if your BMR is 1587, you should eat at least that and more if you are exercising.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Today was weigh in day... after a week of working out five times a week and being super strict about my calories I GAINED a pound. Weeks prior to this I lost a grand total of 1 pound per week. >___> I don't get it.

I'm assuming I'm making my calorie limit too low (1,200 a day) but even with the my fitness pal calculator when I set it to lose 2 pounds per week that was what was recommended to me. I try to eat 40% carbs 40% protein 20% fat.... but that rarely works out hahah.

Please advice. =( Should I up my calories? Is there some trick that I'm missing?

EDIT: In my anger, I decided to look at the evil. Diet pills. Does anyone have any experience with these?
    http://supplementreviews.com/usp-labs/oxyelite-pro

A week... seriously a week??? you are going to the gym give it time and put the damn scale away. you should probably eat back your exercise cals too if your not already.
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'd just add, to try to avoid confusion, that there are two popular methods used by the people who are on this board and utilize this tool.

Some, (myself included among them) use the tool as it is designed, and as such let it give you a calorie goal, and then eat back exercise calories (make sure these are good estimates - MFP's are a big "generous") since MFP creates a deficit for your excluding any exercise. When you exercise, it gives you these calories to eat so you maintain your deficit and do not create too large a deficit...

Others say to figure out your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, which incorporates your calorie needs for living as well as your daily activity - including your planned exercise regime in it, and then eat 20% less than that number. This requires you to do the workouts you said you were doing... and do not eat back any exercise calories....

I use MFP as designed...

as for gaining weight - there are SOOOOO many things that could contribute to this it isn't reasonable that you be concerned: Water retention because you ate a lot of sodium last night (salt); water retention because when your muscles begin to repair after intense workouts they retain water to facilitate this repair, Water retention from TOM or 'cycle' related changes, for that matter 1Lb could be a difference in bladder or bowl volume...

You can do this - sounds like you have a good start going - keep at it and you will see results. Msg if I can be helpful.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    1) You are not eating enough for your activity level, if you are only eating 1200 calories, unless you are like 4 feet tall. Aim for losing 1 pound a week instead of 2. More reasonable and easier to stick with long term.

2) Weight loss is not instantaneous, you didn't gain that weight in 4 weeks, you're not going to lose it in 4 weeks.

3) Weight loss is NOT linear, you can lose nothing for weeks, then lose 3 pounds the next week....go for an average weight loss over time.

4) Working out stresses your muscles, muscle repair requires water, starting a new workout, or increasing activity will cause water retention, it will go away.

5) Watch sodium intake, again, water retention.

6) Take measurements. Estimate body fat %. You can be 30% body fat, and weigh less than someone who at same height is 20% body fat....and that person with lower body fat, but a higher weight, will fit into smaller clothing.

7) Take progress pictures.
  • mariabrii
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! Some people workout eat healthy and weigh more and why? Because as you lose fat you gain dense muscle, that pound you put on could be in muscle or water weight. Keep at it! A healthy long life is better than dying young and missing out on so much because you didn't eat right or exercise! Keep up the good work and you will see results!
  • SvenMagnusson
    Options
    The caloric hypothesis is an erro in cognition. it is far too simplsitic to explain body weight by itself. The regualtion of body weight is EXTREMELY complicated and scientists strugg;le t understand it