WHtR

Options
http://www.livestrong.com/article/93638-whtr-the-new-determinant-health-risk/

I found this article very interesting. It is about how outdated the BMI is and the new way to measure your health! Enjoy

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Oh.My.Goodness. Thank you so much!! I am 5'1" so my BMI always drives me nuts!
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I like it. Now instead of being "Morbidly Obese" in BMI, I am only "Overweight" in WHtR..
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Waist to hip is a decent marker of health, but it doesn't tell the whole story. I created a website that takes into account many things, including WtHR, BMI, Body Fat (if you know it), age, sex, weight, height, and VO2Max (if you know it) to form a more comeplete overall picture of your health.

here's the address.

http://healthcalc.harehome.org

you can sign up and track your statistics, but it only records 1 per day (the last one you've done.
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, SHBoss1673. Thank you very much for sharing!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    You are a 42 year old male who weighs 204 pounds and is 68 inches tall.
    The numbers you entered are:BMI: 31.01
    Body Fat %: 13
    Waist to Hip ratio: Not Given!
    VO2 MAX: Not Given!
    Resting heart rate: 55

After doing all the calculations, the total body health number we have for you is:

13% bodyfat, defined abs, BP 11/60, resting pulse 55. My chest is 13" bigger than my waist. Regular strength training, 1/2 hour + cardio daily. Excellent 2,000 calorie a day diet w/no junk. I'm in Average health, who knew? :laugh:

Maybe if I get a personal trainer I can head off my upcoming heart attack or stroke.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    You are a 42 year old male who weighs 204 pounds and is 68 inches tall.
    The numbers you entered are:BMI: 31.01
    Body Fat %: 13
    Waist to Hip ratio: Not Given!
    VO2 MAX: Not Given!
    Resting heart rate: 55

After doing all the calculations, the total body health number we have for you is:

13% bodyfat, defined abs, resting pulse 55. My chest is 13" bigger than my waist. I'm Average, who knew? :laugh:

Maybe if I get a personal trainer I can head off my upcoming heart attack or stroke.

High average, that's about right. That's why I gave numbers and not just put "average" in there, you can see that you're just shy of the "good" range (9-12), but you'll also notice that it says the more numbers you put in, the more accurate it is. If you don't put in your WtHR, VO2Max, and Body Fat %, well, that means it's a smaller pool of statistics on which to generate the report, so the bad numbers will have more weight (which is how it was designed).
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I did put in my bodyfat %.

So the calc doesn't look at the raw waist measurement at all, but only as a ratio to the hips. Interesting. Lots of tools out there, none work very well for us at the very edge of the bell curve. it is what it is.

I guess I shouldn't complain,,, by BMI I'm obese. :huh:
  • sweetrevenge
    sweetrevenge Posts: 188
    Options
    BUMP