Peeling Nails - No biggie, but it bugs me

Options
Hey all! This isn't really a big deal, but i have found that since I have been eating well and exercising that I am getting tons of hangnails, really dry cuticles and peeling nails. I have at least two or three servings of dairy every day; milk, cottage cheese and yogurt, and usually drink 8-10 glasses of water every day. I take a calcium and a vitamin D supplement as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions to help this stop. I hate ugly finger nails! :grumble:

Thanks,
jewel :flowerforyou:

Replies

• wantmycurvesback
    Options
    I'm no doctor but it sounds like you need more protein - not from dairy sources. I would add more eggs/egg beaters, fish, chicken, etc.
    More protein dense foods, also take a skin/hair/nails vitamin supplement. Good luck to you.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Get a manicure? LOL
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would guess a lack of fat in your diet. Fat is essential for many of the body's functions and for some reason has a bad rap. Trans fats should be avoided at all costs, and saturated fats should be limited but the unsaturated fats are great for you.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Biotin and MSM are important for nail health also. They are available in supplement form, though I never found them together. There are topical products for cuticles--Sally Hanson brand has some options--available at Walmart and other places. Give yourself a manicure and get rid of the hang nails, treat cuticles regularly w/topical product. If you take a supplement, remember it will take 4-6 months before your nails have grown to the point where you will see the results.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, taking fish oil can also help. Costco has their own brand. I like the enteric coated version if you are concerned about aftertaste. Not usually an issue if you take the supplement at the beginning of a meal.

Good luck.
  • delilahthegoddess
    Options
    Cut open a vitamine E capsule and rub it into your nails and cuticles. It helps. (I have had them all of my life cause of low iron)
  • tosize2
    tosize2 Posts: 32
    Options
    I just asked my doctor about this at my annual physical on Friday! He said he had the same problem and biotin worked amazingly well for him. He recommends 2500mg or a brand called "Appear-X" which can be found in the nail products aisle at CVS.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Biotin and MSM are important for nail health also. They are available in supplement form, though I never found them together. There are topical products for cuticles--Sally Hanson brand has some options--available at Walmart and other places. Give yourself a manicure and get rid of the hang nails, treat cuticles regularly w/topical product. If you take a supplement, remember it will take 4-6 months before your nails have grown to the point where you will see the results.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, taking fish oil can also help. Costco has their own brand. I like the enteric coated version if you are concerned about aftertaste. Not usually an issue if you take the supplement at the beginning of a meal.

Good luck.

I second this - I've been taking a biotin/MSM/collagen supplement and noticed a difference in my nail strength. No matter what my diet, my nails have always been easy to peel :(
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Good luck.

I second this - I've been taking a biotin/MSM/collagen supplement and noticed a difference in my nail strength. No matter what my diet, my nails have always been easy to peel :(

Could you share the name of the supplement? I would love to take ONE pill with biotin and MSM, instead of two.!!