Do you find Insanity harder than P90X?

Options
I currently finished Insanity and now am in my second day of P90X. I just completed my Plyometrics workout and keep getting the haunted feeling that these workouts don't seem as hard as Insanity. My fear is this- Insanity did not yet give me a body like the people in the before and after pics of P90X. Was diet the only thing that made them all this ripped. If so, I cannot imagine living my entire life eating 50protein/30carb/20fat. It just does not seem realistic to me! To date, I've lost 98 lbs with Slim In 6, Turbo Jam, ChaLean Extreme, Turbo Fire, ChaLean Extreme/Turbo Fire Hybrid, and Insanity- along with a sensible diet and a strict logging onto MFP with a cheat meal (along with a few drinks) maybe 3 days a month. I feel that this approach was realistic to me, making me feel human and not just a robot who chews food she dislike to have desired results.
I have been trying to keep my macros in order, and already in these two past days, I have been UNDER in calories, slightly over in carbs and fat (and that's not even eating the allowed ENTIRE fruit portion or FAT portion in the portions section of the P90X nutrition book), and have not been able to even hit within 10 grams close to the protein goal. It makes me feel like a FAILURE in the nutrition department AND a slacker in the exercise department when my calorie burn has been consistently LOWER these past two workouts than any day of Insanity. I am currently doing the Classic version. Should I up it to Doubles or am I jumping the gun here? I would SO appreciate ANY advice from those of you who have completed both programs. I HAVE NOT felt like a failure in a LONG time, nor do I feel like I deserve to. I've come too far and worked too freakin' hard to allow such feelings come to harbor!

Replies

• catpea33
    catpea33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You're not a failure! I find that the protein is, for me, the toughest of all to get right. There's a reason why there are so many protein supplements out there. Someone who's done as many programmes as you simply can't be a slacker in the exercise department and the 98lbs lost says that you aren't a slacker in the nutrition department either. Be kind to yourself because you're doing great.

I've done both programmes and I'm finding Insanity harder. It makes P90X Plyometrics seem like a gentle walk in the park. On the plus side, I saw more results with 4 weeks of P90X then I've seen with 4 weeks of Insanity (or even six weeks of Insanity!). I have just three weeks of Insanity left and, to be totally honest, I'm disappointed. I genuinely don't know how the people in Insanity got the results they did. I'm sure diet played a large part (you can't out-exercise a bad diet) but I suspect that there may be other causes at play too, like individual genetics, how fit they were when they started Insanity, etc.

The best thing I can suggest is to keep at P90X. Get to the end of Phase 1 and check out your results - body fat %, measurements, progress photos - and I'm pretty certain that you'll be happy with the progress you've made. There's a reason why P90X is my favourite Beachbody programme! Resistance training beats cardio for me every day of the week...

Cat
    Team Beachbody coach
  • azrrt76
    azrrt76 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can't attest to which is harder because I haven't done P90X...yet. I am almost done with my 2nd week of month 2 Insanity. My hubby has done both and he has said that the cardio in P90X is easy compared to Insanity. Soooo, with that said, our plan is to finish Insanity and then do the Insanity/P90X hybrid program. Maybe that is an option for you?

Also, the only way I can get in my allotted protein is by using Whey supplements. I add it to my cereal in the morning and have a shake after my workout also. Sometimes I have 3 scoops in a day!
  • LaCubana9
    Options
    Thank you, girls! I'm gonna stick it out and put the weight training to the test. I DO remember ChaLean Extreme and how the weight training completely TRANSFORMED my body in such a short while! And I felt kind of sad when I saw that Insanity didn't have ANY weight training involved! (Which is probably why I didn't get INSANE results for all the work I put into it).
    As far as the protein goes, I'm even putting scoops of it in my plain non-fat yogurt and eating Clif Builder Bars that have almost the EXACT macros as the P90X Peak Performance Bars. I sometimes have a slight allergic reactionto eggs, so I can't many. I guess I'll just try to keep at 50/30/20 for these first three weeks, but will feel SO GLAD when I graduate into Phase 2- 40/40/20, which STILL seems a little LOW in healthy fats, but seems like a reasonable ratio of Protein and Carbs. I just get so upset when I have a restriction on how many fruits and veggies I can eat a day, but am "allowed" to go to town on meats, cheeses & cottage cheese that pours SO MUCH SODIUM into my poor body. I find it kind of backwards to turn away from natural produce and embrace fake protein supplements just to cut my body a certain way.
  • Dragonflag07
    Dragonflag07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've done them both. The cardio on P90X is not as intense as Insanity. I found that pushups aside, Insanity does very little for upper body strength compared to P90X. I still shudder at the thought of weighted circles, corn cob pullups and strip set curls. You should try the program for a couple of weeks and go hybrid if you think thats best - P90X resistance & yoga workout plus switch in Insanity on day 2 and 6 of every week.

As a personal opinion, the stretches and flexibility gains are better on P90X, the strength work far superior but the cardio in Insanity is tough. Also, if it's day 2 your on, wait til you try the yoga for the first time, it's really valuable. Although the P90X warm ups seem lighter, I think it's a more correct way of warming up rather than Insanity's warm up which goes from all out to static stretches then all out again in the main workout.

Either way, good luck!
  • _SASX_
    _SASX_ Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. Insanity has harder cardio, but can't cut it when it comes to strength training. P90X will change your body shape with the weight training. Plyo is easier than Insanity but I find I get a better burn from it. most likely because of the length of the workout. Insanity has a longer stretch period than P90X does so shorter amount of HIIT time. I'm doing another round of P90X then will do it again, but add Insanity in for cardio days and rotate through them, not starting the Max's until mid phase 2. I also have Asylum I want to start...in the summer I think.
  • kregerems
    kregerems Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you, girls! I'm gonna stick it out and put the weight training to the test. I DO remember ChaLean Extreme and how the weight training completely TRANSFORMED my body in such a short while! And I felt kind of sad when I saw that Insanity didn't have ANY weight training involved! (Which is probably why I didn't get INSANE results for all the work I put into it).
    As far as the protein goes, I'm even putting scoops of it in my plain non-fat yogurt and eating Clif Builder Bars that have almost the EXACT macros as the P90X Peak Performance Bars. I sometimes have a slight allergic reactionto eggs, so I can't many. I guess I'll just try to keep at 50/30/20 for these first three weeks, but will feel SO GLAD when I graduate into Phase 2- 40/40/20, which STILL seems a little LOW in healthy fats, but seems like a reasonable ratio of Protein and Carbs. I just get so upset when I have a restriction on how many fruits and veggies I can eat a day, but am "allowed" to go to town on meats, cheeses & cottage cheese that pours SO MUCH SODIUM into my poor body. I find it kind of backwards to turn away from natural produce and embrace fake protein supplements just to cut my body a certain way.

I started Insanity after completing P90x, and what I've found is Insanity is cardio, and it is going to help build your stamina. P90x, build up my muscle, but Insanity has helped me lose some of the fat I still had around my mid-section. Just keep working and exercising you look great and I bet you even feel great.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    2 completely different programs. Insanity does some body weight exercises but its mostly high intensity cardio. While you'll get some strength gains from Insanity, P90X is where the strength increases are at.

I've done both also and the only warning I'd give on P90X is there is a LOT of repetition and be careful to avoid injury if you have any slight or recurring injuries. I prefer straight up lifting to P90X and there are some moves in the program I completely avoided because of a shoulder injury I was nursing.

With the exception of P90X Plyometrics, Insanity is by far a tougher cardio workout and your calorie burn will be lower on P90X than insanity assuming the same level of effort for both.
  • LaCubana9
    Options
    You guys are great! :flowerforyou: Thank you for your replies! I'm definitely gonna stick it out and see the 90 days DONE! If need be, I'll switch some of the Cardio days out with Insanity cardio. I've also decided to go on to Phase 2 of eating already. 40/40/20 sounds much more reasonable and not as unreachable as 50/30/20!
    I'm happy to report that today I did Shoulders & Arms + Ab Ripper X and was totally IN LOVE with the butt-whoopin Tony gave me! :heart: I think I need to stop being so impatient and just give it my best and "forget the rest"! Thank you guys for your help! I'll be posting my results 87 days from now!
  • LaCubana9
    Options
    Oh yeah! And Kevin, thank you for the warning! I DO have Iliotibial Band Friction Syndrome, Sciatica, and Greater Trochanterich Bursitis down my left side, so I will definitely keep a good eye on for and feeling out my body the entire time! I've already spent 3 months in Physical Therapy and want to do ANYTHING to avoid it!