Too little calories?

Options
I'm currently slated for 1200 calories per day (excluding exercising), if I do the TDEE method depending on exercise I count, I get around 1900 calories per day. In four weeks I've only lost 2 pounds, is it possible I'm not eating enough?

Replies

• SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're eating. Not all food is created equal.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Very possible, and in fact probable. Add 100 calories per week to your diet until you hit that 1900, and I believe you will be more happy with your progress.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Reconfigure MFP to lose 1lb/week and pick the correct activity level. Get your # and eat that PLUS your exercise calories. MFP expects you to eat your exercise calories back.

Or, if you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/865230-resources-and-references

For those eating below their BMR (which I think 1200 is below your BMR to be honest), not going to preach at you, but here's something you might want to look at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/859495-if-only-i-had-known?page=1#posts-12919931

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.

Remember to also give your body 2-4 weeks to adjust whenever you make changes.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    increase calories to 1400 and eat back your exercise calories aand see how you go!
    make sure you are getting enough protein and nutrients from the foods you eat.
    nutritional deficiencies or surpluses can make it hard to lose weight. protein is very thermogenic also, and if you eat alot of protein, it makes it easier for the body to access fat stores.
    1g per lb of body weight or lean body mass of protein is usually good for fat loss.
  • GADavies
    GADavies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    In four weeks I've only lost 2 pounds, is it possible I'm not eating enough?
    No, despite what some people will tell you that's impossible. Almost certainly you're not burning as many calories as you think you are with exercise and activity.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you have less than 10 pounds to lose. A half pound a week, which is what you've been losing, is the PERFECT amount to be losing. But you could also be eating significantly more and still have the same loss.

Set your calories to a half pound a week, eat most of your exercise calories, eat mostly nutritionally sound foods, and track your progress through photos, how clothes fit, and measurements in addition to the scale. You might very well find you reach your goal body before you reach your goal weight.
  • aprilcarlson
    Options
    bump
  • madzzzzzzz
    Options
    If you aren't eating enough then your metabolism won't fire up and your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to everything you take in.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open so it is difficult to tell about your diet. Losing 1/2 pound per week is a good rate for someone with only 9 more pounds to lose, you are already doing extremely well. I am not sure why you would want to change anything unless you are not getting enough good nutrition to stay healthy.
  • GADavies
    Options
    If you aren't eating enough then your metabolism won't fire up and your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to everything you take in.
    Ooh, another new definition of the mythical starvation mode. I'll put that on the pile with metabolism slowing by more than the caloric deficit, the body consuming it's own organs despite having a store of fat available to it, and unicorns.

The body does get more efficient at extracting nutrition as intake goes down, but the fix for that is still decreased caloric intake. I'll stick with my initial diagnosis of over-estimating exercise calories and the actual net caloric intake therefore being over the 1200 she believes it to be.

Less calories = more weight lost, always and forever. No matter how efficient the body gets it can't overcome the principle of conservation of energy.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You really need to eat a lot more. at only 10 pounds to go, Maybe 10% or less under TDEE. Don't fall into the ultra low cal crowd, be better than that.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Ooh, another new definition of the mythical starvation mode. I'll put that on the pile with metabolism slowing by more than the caloric deficit, the body consuming it's own organs despite having a store of fat available to it, and unicorns.

The body does get more efficient at extracting nutrition as intake goes down, but the fix for that is still decreased caloric intake. I'll stick with my initial diagnosis of over-estimating exercise calories and the actual net caloric intake therefore being over the 1200 she believes it to be.

Less calories = more weight lost, always and forever. No matter how efficient the body gets it can't overcome the principle of conservation of energy.

Of all your wisdom of the mouth (I am being a smart butt because you are) have you at all researched what a severe calorie deficit can do to you? Depression, loss of strength and muscle mass, bone mass, hormonal changes which can lead to lower testosterone and amenorrhea in women, and lower sex drive.

Less calories equals weight loss yes...but severe calorie deficit can mean health problems. The ONLY people who should be on such a severe weight loss are those being throughly over seen by a doctor.
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • GADavies
    Options
    Of all your wisdom of the mouth (I am being a smart butt because you are) have you at all researched what a severe calorie deficit can do to you? Depression, loss of strength and muscle mass, bone mass, hormonal changes which can lead to lower testosterone and amenorrhea in women, and lower sex drive.

Less calories equals weight loss yes...but severe calorie deficit can mean health problems. The ONLY people who should be on such a severe weight loss are those being throughly over seen by a doctor.
    And my challenge remains that she thinks she's burning 600 calories a day in exercise for a 1200 calorie net day, I suspect either inaccurate/optimistic calorie recording or over-optimism regarding the calories burned. I'm not saying she should eat under 1200 calories net, I'm saying she's almost certainly over 1200 net at the moment.

As for large calorie deficits, on an exercise day I'm running at nearly 3k deficit so yes I do know a little about them. My situation isn't really comparable to the OP though and I wouldn't recommend that to anyone not as grossly fat as me.