The Inescapable Truth Of The Camera

Options
My everyday life for the last few years now seems to be an illusion. My impression was that I carried slightly too much weight but still looked and felt pretty good and if needs be could still sprint as sprightly as I ever could. I now realise that reality was different and much harsher. When I looked into a mirror I always saw predominantly what I wanted to see, my brain would put a gloss on reality but I never liked to have my photograph taken. Why ? Because deep down in my sub conscience I knew the camera didn't lie and that big guy who had a weight problem was in reality...... me ! The trigger for me to lose weight without doubt is the camera.... what was it for you ?

Replies

• Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    For me it was the camera too! I saw a picture of myself with some family and thought "when did I get a double chin?". I hadn't realized how big I was until just recently after losing 26 pounds. I'm so glad I tried this calorie counting thing out.
    I thought I was destined to be fat because "that's how the women in my family are built".
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i agree with that the camara shows you what you really look like, i used to love having my photo taken and was very photogenic until i put on weight then i satrted to try and hide fron th camara, so yes thats one of my main things to change i want to be the old me not afraid to have my picture taken x x my worost ever picture was 26 months ago i was pregnant and i looked so fat and had a double chin i made no effort to look good just kinda upsets me when i see it x
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    New full length mirror in my bedroom.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Tired of yo-yoing. Deep down I always knew I felt better when I was thinner.And also I really wanted to play and keep up with my grandchildren.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Same here. I knew I was over weight, but didn't think I looked as much as I weighed. A photo posted on Facebook told me different! Egads! Where did that plus sized chick come from??? But that was a year ago, and now I'm 80 pounds lighter. And it is fabulous!
  • jtbellush
    Options
    When I ready this I wondered if I wrote it a while back and forgot about it. Your post sums up my trigger and my feelings better than I could have. I felt exactly the same. I didn't like what I saw in the mirror but my brain sugar coated it somehow and I didn't look as fat as I was. It was a picture, or a video in my case, that flipped the switch. Spring break 2012 I took my family to Disney World. One evening while swimming at the resort pool, my daughter asked me to take part in a kereoke song with her. How could I turn her down. I watched the video when we returned, and I didn't recognize the man singing with my daughter. I looked terrible. 50 lbs and several months later, I am almost at my ideal body weight of 175. Thanks for your post. It is always a good reminder for me.
  • shellym616
    shellym616 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow... can I ever relate to this!
    In fact, I never want people to look at photos of me. It's funny because they could be sitting in the room with me... looking at the real me and I'm fine with it, but don't let them look at a photo of me! My reasoning... I don't want to hear them say, "That's a good picture of you" or "You look nice in that photo". I don't want anyone to confirm that the dumpy, overweight girl in the photo is actually how I look. I want to stay in my own little fantasy world of just being the girl with a slightly big butt and thighs and a bit of a tummy.
    I think what really sealed the deal for me was when my daughter turned three (in January). It suddenly made me think about how fast she is growing up and how there are very few photos of me with her! I can't let my little girl grow up without having photos of us together!
    So that was it. I'm done. I will be in shape this summer and I will welcome every camera that points in my direction... especially when I'm with my little girl. We have a lot of lost time to make up for!
  • dbirty
    dbirty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Your reply struck a chord with me. I too appear in very few photographs with my young children even though my wife and I snap them all the time. I have avoided it, there is no doubt and that is such a shame for me and my children. What a great trigger to get in shape.
  • shellym616
    shellym616 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have several cameras and photography is my hobby. I never leave the house without a camera. I take pictures of my daughter every single day.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE cameras and photography... yet at the same time I HATE HATE HATE cameras!

I'm really looking forward to the day that I can honestly say that I love both sides of the camera.

On your profile you mentioned something about wanting to be able to stay active with your children. I feel the same way. I want to be able to run and play with her without being exhausted. I also want to be healthy enough to still be around to see her grow up and have children of her own.
    I had her later in life than I would have liked, so I'm not a young mom. Not an old mom... but not a young mom.
    That doesn't mean that I can't get to a point where I FEEL like a young mom! :)
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Definitely!!! Like you, I would acknowledge that I was 'a bit chunky' but I always though I 'carried my weight well'...not at all helped by people (who meant well) saying 'ooooh you can't weight that much you don't look like you do" and my boyfriend saying he loves my body just the way it is (sweet, but I AM unhealthy and fat!!). I took a picture of myself in my underwear last September and wow I looked 6 months pregnant! (I posted it up here with my current after pics but it was removed as the underwear is considered obscene!!). So yes, the camera does not lie. It's when change happens when you have the light bulb moment when you realise you've been in denial and kidding yourself!! Depression and despair may hit first, but then the desire to do something about it!!
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    For me it was a changing room mirror in the LL Bean Store. I didn't realize just how big I had become and I didn't like what I saw.
  • ktrichards06
    Options
    I can definitely relate to what you are saying that is for sure!

I think my trigger was being almost 26yrs old, but feeling to be around 40-50! I was tired all the time, my joints and body hurt! I hated the way I looked so much, and now almost 4 weeks into the journey I have gained so much confidence and shown myself that I am capable of so much more than what I ever thought I was!
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Biking around the lake with a friend who took pictures in bright sunshine and summer clothes... ouch! who's that chick with that thick arm and puffy face?
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Buying a size 13/14 pants and seeing the scale say 172.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    The camera is a tricky subject. I don't mean this to be used as an excuse or anything of the like but it really DOES have a tendency to add weight/distort your image. The cause of this is the transition of effectively turning a 3D object into a 2D, poor lighting, distance from the camera and other factors which you can read about here.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2007/02/smile_and_say_fat.html

For me I just really wanted to be someone who I'd never been before. I'm pretty used to low self-esteem, so seeing a picture of myself, clothes sizes, my weight and comments about it never really effected me because I had internalized it all years ago.
    But then I lost some weight when I went on birth control and a switch flipped. I decided that I wanted to try, get my body to listen to me instead of me listening to it sorta deal.
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    While I can relate to the camera thing, it wasn't necessarily my trigger. I do want to look and feel better, and I did make a decision to come out from behind the camera, mainly because I love the few pictures I have of my grandmothers. I had a little series of aha moments last fall. My knees are bad, so I knew losing weight would help me get around better. I had three grandparents who lived into their 80's. I was 48 when my two remaining grandparents died, so I was to an age that people would say, "you have grandparents?" I figure my odds for longevity are good, and I want to be in the best health. My maternal grandma was in a wheelchair in spite of having both knees replaced, simply because she was too heavy. I begged her to walk, to go walking with me, to walk the halls in her building. But she refused. I don't want to be that grandma.

I have avoided cameras most of my life, even when I was young and very thin. I'm just not photogenic.

I'd put on about 60 of the 128 I lost the year I turned 40. Getting close to that halfway back back to having the weight off scared me. I stopped drinking Coke cold turkey in November. I also started eating better and working out.

In the vein of the original post, I have recently posted some pictures here and on Facebook. My Facebook friends have been very supportive of this weight loss journey, so I took a picture of myself and my husband, who is also losing, and posted it, along with pictures of us in October and December. I'm going to take a picture the first of each month and post it until we're at goal. I'm hoping for around my birthday in September. I'm down 38 total, 25 since I joined MFP. My husband is down about 17. He doesn't have as much to lose, but I want to lose another 57.
  • dbirty
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and I suppose those moments that made us all feel uncomfortable enough to avoid or psychologically block out have in the end proven to be our inspiration. Really I should be grateful that the camera doesn't lie because it has set me on an important mission which otherwise I would never have made.
    So I raise a toast.... to cameras... everywhere ! :-)
  • dbirty
    Options
    Obviously I too had children later in life. It's the best thing I ever did. It's both an inspiration to get fit and stay healthy and also a reason why I find it hard to get fit and stay healthy. I wouldn't have it any other way though. :-)