Certain diet or everything in moderation?

Options
I've read tons of diet books. I figured my bmr and tdee and know my calorie goal but I'm confused as to what to eat to lose weight. Low fat? Low carb? Skinny rules? Everything in moderation? What do you do to successfully lose weight? Thanks.

Replies

• TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    1 month in, and I'm down 9lbs. I have followed everything in moderation theory - but my secret weapon - BABY SPINACH! I plop that stuff in anything I can - 4.5 cups of that stuff is only 20cals!! :)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation - including moderation...... but make sure you get enough protein - some in all 3 your main meals ;-)
  • fluffyfoxx
    Options
    In the past for me, the only thing that worked was counting carbs. I tend to not diet and just watch my carb intake. Weight loss is different for everyone and it took me years to try everything and just see what worked.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I also go with all things in moderation. Chips, chocolate, etc, just require a little more willpower to eat in moderation though for me.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I tatally agree with everyone everything in moderation. For me that includes heath food and junk food.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have enough protein, then fill in my diary with foods that get as neat to the others numbers as I can. I believe I can eat without restriction, as I have no current health issues. I do try for 90 % healthy and tend to buy fresh and cook from scratch including sauces etc. If however I need to, I do not sweat if I eat take away, processed foods for convenience, or drink wine every now and then - so long as it all fits in my diary figures at the end of the day.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Certain diet and eat my fave high cal foods on special occasions.

As in a certain diet I mean less carbs from grains, more protein and fats.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Getting so very sick of these threads.... -_- Just Calories in VS Calories out..... Eat less move more, BAZINGA weight loss xD
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no actual answer to this except, whatever works for you and whatever you can stick to long term. In terms of sticking to it long term, whatever plan of attack you decide on there will probably need to be an element of moderation in there. Life tends to get in the way of overly strict diets. What ever you decide an 80:20 plan seems to work where you are good 80% of the time
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Moderation. I could not stick with a certain plan. I do tend to eat higher protein and less carbs. I am not one who craves pasta, bread, potatoes etc. My body prefers protein and craves fresh fruits and veggies. I also allow for a splurge meal, not a whole day, to have a meal of something I really have been wanting but wouldn't normally eat, prime rib, sushi, pizza. These are usually every 2weeks or so.

Whatever you chose, make sure it is something you are willing to do the rest of your life. I haven't eliminated anything, I just eat some stuff less and more infrequently than I used to and made changes from white stuff to whole grains. I find my " plan" very easy to do.
  • jan1755
    jan1755 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So many replies in such a short time! Thanks everyone. Most helpful.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in the middle on this. For me "everything" does not include chips and most other packaged snack food and it does not include crappy fast food. It does include moderate amounts of chocolate, wine, fine restaurant meals, quality ice cream, butter, and good meat.

I have not had any chips since last June. Can't say that I miss them.
  • princessd84
    princessd84 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Moderation all the way! I've got my macros down to a tee now, so I'm concentrating on hitting my micros. If you want to lose weight, then calories in/calories out is fine, but if you want to make sure your body has everything it needs to function properly and healthily, then make sure your diet is varied. Vitamins and minerals are needed for specific functions, it's not a myth. Even carbs have a vital role to play.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Here's what works for me (and many others):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever foods I want, within reason. I know that lean meat and protein, fruit, veg and wholegrains are good for me, so I pick and choose the ones I like the best and stick to them. Life's too short to go without chocolate, so I have a nutella or some dark chocolate every day without fail. Works for me!
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key for me, I love all types of food so I knew that there was no giving up certain things. I buy lower calorie versions of my favorite foods, eat lots of fruits and veggies. I still have the occasional burger, pizza or ice cream just in moderation. I feel so much better and don't feel deprived at all:smile:
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    ditto stef..it's what works for me too :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me is to eat oatmeal in some form for breakfast, with fruit..a sandwich for lunch with whole wheat bread, mustard or mayo with lean turkey or chicken, tons of romaine lettuce and 1 or 1 1/2 cups of raw veggies. Dinner is 4ounces (cooked weight) lean, grilled meat with brown & wild rice and another cup or so of veggies. I eat yogurt, nuts, boiled eggs, fruits for snacks. I still drink my coffee in the morning with creamer, but I measure it now. In fact, I weigh everything! You'd be surprised how much more your really eat! I don't always eat the same thing everyday, but that is how I started and it worked great.
    The main thing is to eat healthy foods and meals with protein that keep you full. Measure everything. Know what's going in. Know how many cals you burn everyday. Make sure you get exercise most days, hard enough to make you sweat. It's easy to do with just walking but you can burn a ton of cals if you lift weights too. I also make room for a treat once a week or so, so I don't feel like I'm on some stupid diet and then not stick to it. Today it's dark chocolate with raw almonds!
    This truly is a lifestyle change and NOT a diet. If you diet, you feel deprived, lose weight, then guess what? You binge and go back to the way you were and gain it all back.
    You can do this! If you have any problems, do a search in the forums. There is a solution to EVERY problem.
    Good luck!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Getting so very sick of these threads.... -_- Just Calories in VS Calories out..... Eat less move more, BAZINGA weight loss xD
    Then why bother reading and responding to them? Be nice. We all know we have to eat right and exercise. People just need to learn HOW to do it.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,232 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. I plan to keep doing this forever-I cannot forsee a forest that doesn't include some occasional crap. I have learned ways to fit the crap in around a diet that is largely healthy without going overboard.