What to do in Chicago?

Options
katiefridley
katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
Hey! I am going back to Chicago for the 3rd time and I am leaving in less than a week! So far, I have been to Shedd's Aquarium, The Hancock, Michigan Avenue for shopping, and of course Gene and Jude's for hot dogs and Portillo's for Italian Beef! Also, when I went, we saw Blue Man Group and a local production of Rent.

So, my question to you is, what do you suggest I do while I am in town this time!?!?! Thanks!

(BTW, I AM SO EXCITED! :bigsmile: )

Replies

• justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    visit my aunt...she's a nice lovely lady :bigsmile:
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Chicago Art Institute. Museum of science and industry. Hot Doug's for duck fat fries.
  • Chopshopcop
    Chopshopcop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Have a meal at Quartino's. I highly recommend the stuffed dates
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    The Museum of Science and Industry is cool. Sometimes the Field Museum is ok, but usually I find it a bit boring.
    You MUST go to the 'bean' and take some pictures.
    Eat at that famous deep dish pizza joint. Well, I forgot the name, so just eat at one. :laugh:
    I usually go there during summertime and go to Navy Pier also. Is it even open in winter? Idk, sorry!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Rocks has great food and is pretty close to The Metro where you could catch a concert. Fun venue! We saw Kimbra there last October. Fun time.

Ed Debevics for a funb 50/60 resturant with plenty of attitude.
    Bob Chinn's Crab house for THE BEST seafood.
    Carson for really good ribs.

Dress really really warm. It is so ccccccold there right now! And windy!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Chicago Art Institute. Museum of science and industry. Hot Doug's for duck fat fries.
    This. Plus The Adler Planetarium, The Field Museum and any number of amazing steak houses!
    Dress warm. Its freaking cold as hell here right now!
  • panicintheattic
    panicintheattic Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Personally my favorite museum is the Museum of Contemporary Art, or Museum of Science and Industry. Check out when places have free days if the museums are your thing (you can easily find them with a google search). The Museum of Contemporary Photography is always free at Columbia College too.
    Also, the deep dish place someone mentioned was probably Giordano's.
    It all depends on what you're looking for though. Are you looking for restaurants? Attractions? Concert venues? Shopping districts?
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Run the Marathon! Or freeze. It's pretty cold there.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The Art Institute. The Chicago Symphony. Field Museum, Aquarium Planetarium. The Art Institute and the Symphony are what I miss most. Also, in nice weather, the Brookfield Zoo is fun! I would have said you HAVE to go to Marshall Field's a few years ago, but dammit Macy's bought it! Frango Mints... yum. There was an old fashioned ice cream parlor that was fun. several restaurants. also had a store at the Water Tower Place- I waited tables in the restaurant of that store. Ride a bike along the lake in good weather. The beach by Lincoln Park and watch the chess players. I think Bengal Lancer's is closed- it was my favorite restaurant there. University of Chicago's Rockefeller Chapel for carillon concerts in the summer. (My dorm was across the street.) Oak Park for the Frank Lloyd Wright houses and Robie House near Rockefeller Chapel. The different ethnic enclaves, like the Indian one on the north shore where I would buy sari fabric. Lots of gorgeous catholic and episcopal churches.

And yes, it will be cold there, with stiff winds off the lake. When I lived there, I had an old fur coat of my grandmother's. That was the only way I could stay warm! Looked like a bear in it! Old and ragged but still warm!
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    You must eat at Ed DeBevic's. That is, if you have a sense of humor. The staff there deliberately go out of there way to treat you rudely (sounds bad but, trust me, it's fun). If you look it up on Youtube, you'll find all sorts of videos about the place. I highly recommend it! Oh, and don't miss the Sears Tower. Observation deck is on the 103rd floor. At night, the view of the city is just breathtaking!
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Check out some Blue's shows -House of Blues or Buddy Guy's or something,
    if you're not terrified of heights go on the Sky Deck :{)
  • devan33
    devan33 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Use this!!! You buy it and get discount tickets and can choose like 5 different locations!!! We always buy them...

http://www.citypass.com/chicago
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I agree and 2nd that you must go to Willet's Tower (I think that's the new name for the Sears Tower), Museum of Contemporary Art, Art Institute, and eat at Ed Debevic's. It's the wrong time of year for a scenic boat ride, but there might still be ice skating somewhere in the Loop. Most of things I did growing up are closed and gone. So sad.

Enjoy your visit!
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Ooh - I think the Walnut Room is still in existence at Fields flagship store on State. If it is, you should go check it out for lunch - true Chicago history right there.
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Watch some shows at Second City Improv, where the comedy greats like Chris Farley and Stephen Colbert once attended! :D
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    When in Chicago....try the real deep dish pizza! That and walk the miracle mile (if I'm remembering the name correctly).

Oh, and the Willis Tower! But if they say low visibility...Don't waste your money. What was the price like $17 to go up? If all you're going to see if clouds, use that money to get the deep dish pizza. Then again unless you really want to see the clouds go ahead. :smile:
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Okay there have been alot of tourist suggestions but i would steer clear of all those places to eat!

Some places I love in chicago:

Steakhouses: Maestros, chicago cut, gibsons, 3forks
    non steakhouses: RL Restaurant (ralph lauren), RPM (GUliana and Bill ransic's restaurant), Paris club
    lincoln park zoo, art institure, museum of science and industry
    Old town, lincoln park, armitage ave for cute shops and neighborhoods
    UP comedy club, second city
    theater: there are great productoins like book of mormans on right now
    views: hancock tower, wills tower,
    shopping: michgan ave, 900 shops, state st, watertower place, armitage, state st

Depending what weekend you come there are usually markets on - dose market, randolf st market and this week is restaurant week which means all the great restaurants with cheap meals!
  • windycity_ali
    windycity_ali Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The Chicago Cultural Center is a gem. The interior was designed by Tiffany, it's free and they usually have a couple of art exhibits on display.

Tour the Chicago theater and catch a show in the district.

The Chicago History Museum is cool.

If you're looking for something different the International Museum of Surgical Science gets good reviews. Haben't been myself...

Pick up a Reader to see what's going on while you're in town.

A visit to The Billy Goat is always fun and The Berghoff has the first liqour license issued by the city. Check out Chowhound or Yelp for food recommendations. There's good eating here.

Enjoy your trip!