What got you hooked?

Options
What is the one thing that made you start with your new lifestyle and keep with it? I can't seem to get started. I've tried now I don't know how many times and I can't seem to convince myself i can do it. What keeps you going????

Replies

• 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i started a group today - max 5 members. purpose: for each member to post a daily challenge for all members. hoping this will keep us accountable and on track. if you would like to join, pls msg me.
  • lucy529
    lucy529 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What got me was that with in a week of starting I was not giving myself insulin shots before every meal, what keeps me going is that am now off of them and also off most of my other meds. i also really enjoy my hubby telling me how great i look and feeling the changes is great. You CAN do it, i too had tried a lot of things until i found what now works for me :) will power helps a lot of the time too
  • wannabtight
    wannabtight Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Seeing the inches and pounds fall off is a plus! I also love that I have more energy!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    When I joined I logged on one day and did not come back for two weeks. I had no friends. Then one day i seriously checked the sight out, and made two friends. I started logging more and the celebration every five days kept me coming back. I joined a June challenge to workout everyday and I did. Since doing that I logged every day and was able to log my meals. I have learned a lot from MFP.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    The social aspect of MFP. I live a lot of my life online and having this here made me accountable, made me excited to come back, and keeps me coming back.

Aside from that, just knowing that it was either start now or else sit and wonder where I could be IF I'd started when I said I was going to......that really kept me going, too. Still does.
  • hpilon27
    Options
    What got me started was discovering the MFP app on my new smart phone. What keeps me going is the results!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    lifting weight that I couldn't before and lookin' damn good while doing it
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and that kick started my journey. My only intention was to quit, nothing more. Then I decided I would start tanning so I signed up at a gym so I could have 24 hour access and they also had some zumba classes and since it was all the rage I wanted to see what that was all about. I HATED zumba, got bored with tanning and checked out some other group fitness classes. For the first 6 months or more I had zero goals and only attended classes because they seemed to speed up the healing that was taking place in my lungs. After that I tried running, hated it, sucked at it and decided to make it a goal. I still run. Then I decided I needed to eat better to fuel my cardio workouts. I joined here and have enjoyed the adventure in food knowledge. After tweaking the diet I picked up some heavy weights, saw definition and muscle and never looked back. Take one step at a time. Find something you like. Some people HATE cardio, that's okay. Some people HATE weights, that's okay. Some people love to workout at home and others in a gym. Some only run. Some do a little of everything. Some people only watch what they eat and never exercise. Find what makes you happy and build on it. If you hate it all, try to stick with the one that you hate the least. I HATED running so I stuck it out and made it a goal and now I LOVE running. Good luck to you :smile:
  • floridapanthergirl
    Options
    The Psych research says that the folks who take the weight off and keep it off do these 4 things:
    1. track your food
    2. have group support
    3. exercise
    4. after you reach your goal, stay on maintenance for at least a year. The longer, the better
  • floridapanthergirl
    Options
    Sorry, not really the question you asked, but I found most of those things on MFP. Tracking has always worked for me, even with WW. But the group support with WW sucks in my opinion. MFP helps a lot.
  • missjanetleigh
    missjanetleigh Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Realizing that life was passing me by and the things I wanted to do I couldn't because of my weight.

I just want to be free to be active and healthy, it's more for those reasons that so much clothes and looks.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The feeling of disgust!
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I got tired of taking care of everybody except myself.
  • iveyroze3
    Options
    Seeing results
  • iveyroze3
    Options
    Support and friends on here and seeing what works and doesn't work for them. Having common goals with people on here. Feeling more energetic. Realized there is hope for me when I have tried many other diets. I realize this isn't a diet it's a way of life. I was fooling myself with the portions and calories I eat. Accountabilty.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    What got me started was discovering the MFP app on my phone. What keeps me going is I committed to execute this experiment to lose 1 lb a week for 52 weeks. This experiment is to log every day and stay under my target net calories. I want to see if in fact I would lose weight. After about 36 weeks I have lost 60 lbs or about 1.5 lbs a week So the experiment seems to be working but I committed to it for 52 weeks. BTW - I still eat all the foods I enjoy I just do not eat as much.
  • Violetta86
    Violetta86 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This site keeps me going! I was so lucky to friend people that took their weight loss journey seriously right from my first day on MFP. I love that my friends on here have the same mindset as me - no starving or super low calorie diets, just eating in moderation and working out hard to lose weight at a healthy pace!
  • cupcakesnomore
    Options
    I was tagged in pictures from Christmas and was horrified by what I saw. :( I signed up for a MFP acct in Aug 2011 and didn't start using it till Jan 2012. I've been here ever since....dealt with the good, the bad and the very ugly for the last year.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I joined mfp and fell off the wagon a couple of times. I wasn't taking it seriously. When people kept asking me if I was pregnant- that was my wake up call. I got back on track with mfp and it's working! I spend some of my free time on the forums and I added friends who had something in common with me, or I added them if I liked their posts, their positive attitude, etc. I feel so much more accountable now- I will.someday be a success story!