High calorie but low fat? Or healthy?

Options
xLyric
xLyric Posts: 840 Member
EDIT: Ignore title please. Basically I'm looking for high calorie foods (300-500) that consist of one or two items/ingredients that aren't super horrible for you.

EDIT: You know what, just ignore this whole thing. When it goes down a few pages I'll try again and try wording my question better.

Replies

• xLyric
    Options
    Also, I can do things like hamburger helper and veg ground "meat", make it and portion it out for the week (I think there's 5 servings) but even that is ~300 or so, and I would imagine high in fat. That's about the extent of the time I can use on food prep. Maybe 20 minutes once a week, but otherwise I've got little time to sit and make food. I'm about done with this fat limit though, it seems low if I'm hitting the limit so fast...
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Well, carbs and protein provide the same amount of energy per gram, so you'd want low versions of either of those. I would suggest lean meats, but I see those are out, too.

You're kind of left with fruits, veggies and low fat bread. Beans? Nuts are high in fat (as is peanut butter) or I'd suggest that.

Is there a reason you're going low fat in particular? Some medical condition. If so, your doctor might have suggestions. If there is no medical reason, I doubt going low fat is necessary for you, but it's not my call either.
  • xLyric
    Options
    No, I don't care about low fat, it's just the number MFP gave me. I'm fine with ignoring it if there's no real reason to stick close to it. I just don't want to hinder any weight loss.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    What about good/ monounsaturated fats? Olives & avocados & olive oil & nuts! :smile:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    your question is conflicting. I can't see how 4 tbspn of pb is low fat?

Not that low fat is required.

Just eat whatever foods you like that fit the macros. Eat from a variety of sources to ensure micronutrients are covered.
  • xLyric
    Options
    What about good/ monounsaturated fats? Olives & avocados & olive oil & nuts! :smile:

Avocados and oil aren't exactly a meal, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

I guess if I'm not going to watch the fat, is there any reason not to eat burritos and pizza? Haha. Probably. They're really good for quickly meeting my calories though.
  • baja572
    Options
    hummus and raw veggie of choice
  • xLyric
    Options

Just eat whatever foods you like that fit the macros. Eat from a variety of sources to ensure micronutrients are covered.

My question is conflicting and I wish I could redo it, haha. So if I ate a 400 calorie pizza to fit my calories, it wouldn't affect my exercise? Wouldn't make me tired? It thought I'd heard that foods like that tired you out? Maybe that's wrong and I'm misinformed?
  • Diyan
    Diyan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Are you eating any vegetables? How about carrots, celery, peppers, etc with hummus? Speaking of hummus, how about beans? I love beans & rice with salsa, but that would involve cooking the rice.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

My question is conflicting and I wish I could redo it, haha. So if I ate a 400 calorie pizza to fit my calories, it wouldn't affect my exercise? Wouldn't make me tired? It thought I'd heard that foods like that tired you out? Maybe that's wrong and I'm misinformed?

They are questions you need to answer yourself. If something, makes you feel like **** then obviously don't eat it.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm not totally sure I understand your question-- but if you are asking whether hamburger helper or pizza are healthy, higher calorie options, I would say no. You could always go with a 100% whole wheat bread with chicken breast, some sprouts and spinach, and mustard and avocado...or quinoa with vegetables and shrimp.... I'm not really sure I get your rationale behind "well burritos and pizza meet my calorie goals, so I'll probably just eat those."

If your goal is to be healthy and lose weight, you can't just have the mindset of ONLY looking at carbs, or fat, or calories. It's looking at the bigger picture of how your body can use that food for fuel (but obv, still be satisfying).
  • xLyric
    Options
    That's not what I'm saying at all. Nothing about this question, however, makes sense.

I'm looking for a food with one or two items, that equals 300-500 calories, that isn't horrible for you. That is all. No meat. No fish.

Honestly it would be great if people would ignore this whole thread and I'll try again when it goes away, haha.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    That's not what I'm saying at all. Nothing about this question, however, makes sense.

I'm looking for a food with one or two items, that equals 300-500 calories, that isn't horrible for you. That is all. No meat. No fish.

Honestly it would be great if people would ignore this whole thread and I'll try again when it goes away, haha.

Then you kind of want fats. You're fine altering what MFP set for you as far as macronutrient percentages go. As far as what is or is not horrible for you...that would no doubt spark a debate if explored too much.

If meat/eggs aren't an option, go with nuts. perhaps some trail mix.