Rowing machine - am I doing it right?

Options
Technique wise, I've studied & try to imitate the Concept 2 videos. But I have not been able to achieve a sweat or even much of a heart rate with the tension thing on at 5, for 30 minutes, with a stroke per minute of 28-33. (Tried to keep resistance on the low side because did stuff with legs yesterday). Is that typical? If so, how do you get a good cardio workout on the rower?

Replies

• mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    well the trainer at my gym said I must attack it- meaning go faster to get any real results. I can really tell a difference. Step up your intensity . Also ask a trainer they can talk to you for a few minutes for free. Hope this helps.:happy:
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm a bit confused by the idea of intensity, which I think is a bit different than most machines, as far as I can tell. Does it mean to pull harder with your arms? To drive harder with legs? Increase the resistance? Increase speed? The Concept 2 site's a bit more involved than I want to get, lol.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    Ha! Found a video that helped way more than their forums:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8USP6GJAvMk
  • roozielynne
    roozielynne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to keep the tension at a 10 and work from there. I always am sweating (and im one of those girls that rarely sweats heavily) after 10 minutes on that thing! But i suppose it depends on what brand of machine it is?
    Just my experiences!

Best of luck!!
  • dsmrunner
    dsmrunner Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Not enough resistance -- try bumping it up to at least 8.

As for technique, pull hard for 1 count, then recoil back for 2 counts. Get after it on the pull and see if you can get in 1000 meters in 6 minutes or less. You should be pretty gassed.

My cardio is excellent, and doing just 500 meters on 10 is not easy.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    Thanks! Will give those ideas a shot.

I'm even wondering if the gym's maybe not maintaining their machines properly or something. The rower at other gyms used to kill me, even at lower levels, and I can't say I'm necessarily in super super shape. I'm not so bad, but not as good as *not sweating at aaaaaall*.
  • supergroovychick
    Options
    Thanks! I'm a bit confused by the idea of intensity, which I think is a bit different than most machines, as far as I can tell. Does it mean to pull harder with your arms? To drive harder with legs? Increase the resistance? Increase speed? The Concept 2 site's a bit more involved than I want to get, lol.
    I'm not sure what kind of rowing machine you're working on. I've never been on one where you can regulate the restance but I've seen some newer looking ones popping up that I haven't tried yet. With that said. I had a short stint on the rowing team in college and the most of power should be coming from your legs. To increase the intensity you can drive harder with the legs and pull harder with the arms.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    I'm not sure what kind of rowing machine you're working on. I've never been on one where you can regulate the restance but I've seen some newer looking ones popping up that I haven't tried yet. With that said. I had a short stint on the rowing team in college and the most of power should be coming from your legs. To increase the intensity you can drive harder with the legs and pull harder with the arms.

Thank you, appreciate your experience!
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Make sure to go all the way in and pull back, lean back and increase speed if that is still a cinch.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You are correct to keep the damper setting at 5. That's the recommendation from Concept 2. As the rower said, the drive comes from your legs. There shouldn't be that much "arm pull". You might try setting the performance meter to the "watts" screen. That will help you get more precise feedback about your power output and hopefully help you shape your stroke.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    You are correct to keep the damper setting at 5. That's the recommendation from Concept 2. As the rower said, the drive comes from your legs. There shouldn't be that much "arm pull". You might try setting the performance meter to the "watts" screen. That will help you get more precise feedback about your power output and hopefully help you shape your stroke.
    this
  • upgetupgetup
    Options

That's useful to know, and very clear, thank you! I especially appreciate the guidance around feedback. It's not a familiar movement, so I've got nothing to compare it to - I imagine rowing well involves a lot more subtlety than one would think. Cheers!
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    Maybe get someone to show you how at the gym. I know it sounds silly but the rowing machine is easier said than done and there's nothing worse than watching someone go super fast but not actually get anything out of it.

My coach always said think about his face being under your feet (he made us train really hard so there was no love lost!) so really push hard down with your legs and make them work (you should feel your feet pushing into the foot holds) and then use your arms and abs to pull back.

Sorry its hard to explain via internet I'd check out some of the videos previous people have linked here or see if anyone at your gym has been a rower and ask them.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    Thank you, Eva!
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    No problem! I love rowing machines but sadly they aren't any at my gym :(
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_zmJYQ5URw

I find this video one of the better one among many in You Tube. Try increasing the damper if you find 5 a little too light for you (I know it is the recommended number) and if it is too much you can always put it back to 5. I find giving more power at the pull and releasing it slowly works much better for me and not so much of the speed of the pull and release. But always watch your back.

Good Luck.