Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I want to get a heart rate monitor but I'm not sure which one is the best. I don't want to spend a ton of money but also don't want to get one that is cheap and doesn't work. I also would like to know if it's possible to get one that doesn't have a chest strap or if they all have one. Any advice will help greatly. Thanks!!! =)

Replies

• Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There is a new one called mio alpha that doesn't require a chest strap But it's not cheap at $199. It's the only one I'm aware of that doesn't need a chest strap and provides real time HR. I'm considering replacing my Suunto but it has been a great monitor.

http://www.alphaheartrate.com/#product
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    HRM's do come without chest straps, but they are less accurate. I have a Polar FT7 & I love it!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,982 Member
    Options
    Why do you not want a strap? They are not uncomfortable - they fit nicely under clothing and you don't even notice they are there.

You just get a more accurate heartbeat recording that way.
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I have the sportline duo, which has the chest strap but can be used without it. I prefer to use it with the chest strap because it takes continuous readings. If you don't have it you have to touch your fingers to the face of the watch to get readings throughout your workout. I prefer to just not think about it other than to press start/stop at the beginning and end of my workouts.

There are many to choose from and in my experience (I've had 3 - 1st was just a watch, 2nd was watch/strap but I lost the strap 2 years ago, and the one I have now), they're all about the same. Look online and read the reviews, get two or three top choices, and then pick the one that best meets your budget. The one I have was on sale one day while I was at Best Buy, otherwise it probably would've been out of my price range.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I want to get a heart rate monitor but I'm not sure which one is the best. I don't want to spend a ton of money but also don't want to get one that is cheap and doesn't work. I also would like to know if it's possible to get one that doesn't have a chest strap or if they all have one. Any advice will help greatly. Thanks!!! =)

Chest straps, but affordable!

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2QRW7A3W3117M&coliid=I1JZY3ABM5EOB2&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Premium-Heart-Monitor-Strap/dp/B0029M3NSS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2QRW7A3W3117M&coliid=I3KR3AA7UXHI8V&psc=1
  • TodayYesterday
    TodayYesterday Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar, with a chest strap. From what I read, the ones without one are less accurate. I did find after a year my Polar was having problems - either displaying 0's or having an astronomically high heart rate periodically. Replaced the batteries + I always cleaned the strap regularly. Stopped using it, as I would have to send it to Polar to have them work on it.

I did find it very motivating to use though. The model I had allowed you to program your fitness goal, and every week it would give you a goal of how much time to spend in each heart rate zone. It would change based on your fitness & how much you exercise.
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT4. it's like 60 bucks on amazon and worth every penny. It does have a chest strap and I was really hesitant at first to do a chest strap but I hardly noticed it right from the start. Love it!
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT60 with a chest strap and I really like it. I got it on Amazon.
  • joeint
    joeint Posts: 31
    Options
    I bought a scosche rhythm (http://www.scosche.com/) it uses a strap that goes around your forearm. I use the app digifit on my iPhone it also has its own app. It worked well for me so far about 3 months.
  • supergroovychick
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT40. It's in the higher price bracket but there are more affordable ones and Polar had the best overall reviews when I was doing my research. I've only had mine about a week but I love it so far becuase I've been frustrated with my lack of progress and I'm now realizing that MFP has been giving me too much credit for calorie burnage...and that I need to push harder with my workouts!
  • sarahruizfitnessjourney
    Options
    Why do you not want a strap? They are not uncomfortable - they fit nicely under clothing and you don't even notice they are there.

Thank you, it's good to know they aren't uncomfortable. The reason I didn't want a chest strap was because I thought it would be uncomfortable and bug me.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have had the Polar FT4 for about a week. Even in my first workout I never noticed the chest strap--it adjusts nicely and doesn't rub or ride up.
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The polar ft4 is on sale at Sears for $42! It does have a chest strap though.
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your advice, I'm going to check out the Polar brand online at Amazon and see what I can find. Guess I will just have to get the one with the chest strap. It's good to know that it makes it more accurate and that it's not uncomfortable.
    Options
    That's a great price, it sells for higher than that on Amazon. Do you know how long the sale is? Thanks!
  • HeidibooJB
    HeidibooJB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT60 with a chest strap and I really like it. I got it on Amazon.

Love my FT-60. I was a little concerned about the chest strap, but it is comfortable, tucks right under my bra band, and I don't even notice it.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Thank you, it's good to know they aren't uncomfortable. The reason I didn't want a chest strap was because I thought it would be uncomfortable and bug me.

I just got the Polar FT4 and I love it so far. I was worried about the chest strap, but I barely notice it. The only time I really even notice it is when I'm doing push ups; it sort of feels like it's shifting, but it isn't. I'll just have to get used to that part I guess. Before that I had and Oregon Scientific SE138. It came without a chest strap. But the heat rate monitor and calorie counter stopped working after only 2 weeks. After using them both (even when the 1st one was working properly) I wish I would have just ordered the Polar in the first place.
  • MrsSardone
    Options
    That's a great price, it sells for higher than that on Amazon. Do you know how long the sale is? Thanks!

I don't know how much longer the sale is. I tried to buy it online Friday night and they were sold out. Then I tried again Sat morning and they had them again. It's the cheapest price I've been able to find (by almost $20!) so I jumped on it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,982 Member
    Options

Call Sears and ask them how long it is at that price. Beware that Sears may have items that have been on the shelf for a while (although, I bought my Polar from Sears, and it was fine.) Just ask them if they will take it back if the battery needs to be replaced/it doesn't work.

Amazon has "reviews" on its products - a great way to compare choices. That's one of my favorite things about Amazon.
  • MrsSardone
    Options
    I just checked Sears website. It's now down to $40. Aw man! I could've saved $2!