Pizza Dough/Sauce

Options
Achrya
Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
I want to make some from scratch Pizza tonight and thought I'd see if anyone had any nice recipe recs. Got people over and they've plowed through the sandwiches and wings and I really want to avoid ordering from Pizza Hut (Calories+Cost, haha) I've got all the needed ingredients I'd imagine (AP Flour as well as wheat flour, yeast, fresh tomatoes as well as tomatoe sauce/paste, and things for toppings) So feel free to hit me with whatever.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Replies

• Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You can try making pizza dough, but the yeast needs time to rise, so you won't be eating it until at least 11:30. If you have pita bread, tortillas/wraps, flatbread, english muffins, or something similar, you can replace the dough with that and save a lot of time. Sauce is easy. Garlic, basil, oregano, canned tomato sauce or puree, a pinch of sugar, salt, and pepper. Sautee garlic in a small amount of olive oil, add everything else, bring to simmer and let it thicken if needed. Done.
  • kacysuzanne
    kacysuzanne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    1 cup hot water
    2 1/4 tsp yeast
    let sit for 5 minutes
    add pinch of sugar or tsp honey
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (the recipe will work fine without this, but it does help the dough if you have it)
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2.5 cups flour (I use whole wheat or white whole wheat, but regular works too)
    Mix until a dough ball is formed, cover with kitchen towel and let sit for 1 hour in the oven with the light on (you can also let it sit on the counter if needed)
    Roll out onto pan, add desired toppings and bake at 425 for 8-12 minutes.

Hope that helps!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    No worries about time, it's only 5pm here and these people show no signs of thinking about leaving. :)

Thank you for the recipes, both seem simple enough that even I can't mess them up too badly. Also another thank you for responding, since I goofed and put this in the wrong forum.
  • freshvl
    freshvl Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    A good ingredient to try add is throw some semolina into the mix, i also like to press the dough into it after, it helps to draw out the moisture and creates a nice crust