Not Losing Weight

Options
Help! I started exercising over a week ago and I am GAINING weight! I try to keep my calorie intake 1200 per day and I have burned 500 calories every day on the treadmill for the past 10 days. WHY am I NOT LOSING WEIGHT!?! Please help!!! I weight one lb. MORE than I did 10 days ago.

Replies

• mleggett2010
    Options
    Look at it like this. If you are taking in 1200 cal and burning 500 cal a day, your net intake is only 700 cal/day. Your body feels like it's in starvation mode and WON'T let go of any weight. Increase your cal intake. You'll see a difference soon.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    1- Drink at least .5oz for every pound you weigh
    2- Eat 5-6 small meals
    3- Your body can be holding on to water for your muscles if it is not used to working out
    4- Are you eating at least 1/2 of your exercise calories?
    5- Are you due soon?

Theres lots of things that can make that happen
    Keep going it took me 2-3 weeks before my number went down then it just kept going down
  • svgtnt
    svgtnt Posts: 1
    Options
    It could also be that you are putting on muscle perhaps in your legs from walking. Muscle weighs more than fat. It is very possible that you weigh a couple pounds more and you are able to fit into a size smaller dress because of the type of muscle you put on. Not always the case but if you feel and look slimmer and weigh a pound more its not the end of the world. You will eventually lose the weight. You first turn fat to muscle then the muscle size start to lean out and htats where you see the weight loss so I would ignore it and dont quesiton it for about a month or so and then see what happens....ten days isnt enough time to see a big enough difference...Cheers
  • asm2260
    asm2260 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Help! I started exercising over a week ago and I am GAINING weight! I try to keep my calorie intake 1200 per day and I have burned 500 calories every day on the treadmill for the past 10 days. WHY am I NOT LOSING WEIGHT!?! Please help!!! I weight one lb. MORE than I did 10 days ago.

READ the recent post "concered" talks about not eating enough, I know it sounds odd, but your body is saving everything you eat, everything else is slowing down, There is an old topic I found this past weekend call 700 calories a day and not losing.....A must read....I learned a TON from it....it really explains it.

I am 6 weeks into my program and actually gained the 2lbs I intially lost back....feel free and check out my menu...and excercise log....I am very anal about logging everything....
    Hope it helps you...it has me...
    Be patient! You will get there!
  • seesylrun
    seesylrun Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!! I struggled with the same thing for five weeks and am finally starting to catch up now. I lost 3 pounds last week alone and am heading for another 2 pound loss tomorrow (I hope!!). Just keep doing what you are doing....the scale will start moving downwards.
  • petalpusher1957
    petalpusher1957 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great Posts! Look at what you are eating. If you're not eating whole grains, fresh fruits & Veggies and well balance diet. That might help.
  • vhardwick
    vhardwick Posts: 54
    Options
    Thank you ALL Very Much! I will use the information you have given me. I'm eating healthy, so I don't think it is WHAT I'm eating...maybe just not enough. Thanks again!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why everyone thinks that you're body is magically going to respond within one week. You didn't gain the weight in a week so it's going to take longer than a week to get things moving. I wouldn't start to get worried until it's been like 8 weeks and nothing is happening.
  • vhardwick
    vhardwick Posts: 54
    Options
    Thank you VERY much! I can't find the post you are talking about. Where is it?
    Thanks!:smile:
  • asm2260
    asm2260 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you VERY much! I can't find the post you are talking about. Where is it?
    Thanks!:smile:

"concerned" was posted today...go under messages and then recent posts...

The article I was refering to was posted on 1/5/08 by a member named (icandoit).....and the title is( living with obesity at 700 calories per day)...I think there is a way to search it...

I will work on trying to locate again....I think it was attached to the new member page...
  • mkarolia
    mkarolia Posts: 1
    Options
    Most of the many reasons/factors have been mentioned above.

One other aspect I would also mention is carb/protein/fat ratios. MFP automatically calculates carb intake to be higher than protein which I tend to disagree with. In simple n short terms protein is harder to break down than carbs for fuel hence the body when looking for burning something for fuel and not find sufficient carbs would then turn to the bodys fat storage and break it down.

Hence I've changed my intake to a 40/40/20 diet which is 40% carbs 40% protein and 20% fat.

Have a look at your diet and see where most of your calories are coming from.

And also try n keep on complex carbs rather than simple carbs.

Hope that helps.