Exercising When Eating Less Than 1200cal

Options
There have been two days (today being one of them) where I've eaten less than 1200 calories (I know this is bad, and I didn't mean to do it), but I was wondering if I should still be working out on those days? For example, my net calorie intake today (including 1 hour of "vigorous" cleaning) was 866. My usual workout burns between 600-650 calories. Should I still do it or would it cause more harm than good? Thought I should add my goal calorie intake is 1430, I just know 1200-1300 is the bare minimum a woman should eat :)

Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• lynnette26
    Options
    Most people would think your crazy for eating so little!!!! But with out knowing why your trying to lose weight (you look skinny in your photo), I'd say normal activies like housework and looking after your kid would be enough. If your trying to fix just one or two problem areas then look into strenght training......it will try the shape and firmness of arms/stomach/ legs etc
  • CecilliaMarie
    CecilliaMarie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 180, so not skinny, but thank you lol! 1430 is my goal intake so I can lose 1 pound a week. I never usually go below 1200 calories (or even 1430 for that matter), but I wasn't feeling well today and I just couldn't eat as much as I wanted to.

Thanks for the tips though!
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    MFP calculations require to eat back workout calories.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why not eat more, then work out?

I know I'd have a crappy workout out after only eating 800 calories. Actually, I'd have a crappy workout eating anything less than about 1600.
  • CecilliaMarie
    CecilliaMarie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's nearly 10 p.m. here and I go to bed around 11 p.m. otherwise I would definitely do that!
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    If I have a day where I know I'm not going to be up to eating at LEAST 1200 calories, I'm going to stick to my bed. Typically 1200 is the least your body needs just to run at rest for a day, so to put extra strain on it and work out on less than that sounds really unhealthy.
  • IamBorg
    IamBorg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Have a glass of milk or juice while you relax before bed. If you aren't feeling well enough to eat normally, it's probably better to let your body rest and heal. Good nutrition is important when you aren't feeling well, so that's why I suggest a glass of milk/juice :)
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    If you feel too crappy to eat, you shouldn't be working out either. Get some sleep and heal yourself.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    If you feel too crappy to eat, you shouldn't be working out either. Get some sleep and heal yourself.

^^^^This, 100%
  • Margaux1953
    Margaux1953 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If this is not normal and just happened a day or two I wouldn't worry too much but I definitely would not work out.
    Under 1200 calories and your body goes into starvation mode. It begins to pull from muscle instead of fat thinking it needs to leave the fat store alone for the famine. You can't have a good workout if you don't have enough energy anyway
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 180, so not skinny, but thank you lol! 1430 is my goal intake so I can lose 1 pound a week. I never usually go below 1200 calories (or even 1430 for that matter), but I wasn't feeling well today and I just couldn't eat as much as I wanted to.

Thanks for the tips though!

I wouldn't worry about some variation from day-to-day especially if you aren't feeling well. Listen to your body and trust your instincts, and it's your weekly average that is a good guide. I get a weekly look at my average daily calories because I sync MyFitnessPal with my Fitbit. I also only weigh myself once a week.

My advice is never worry too much about eating more/less for a single meal or a single day, just compensate the next meal or next day. As long as your week averages out you are in great shape! :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    It's nearly 10 p.m. here and I go to bed around 11 p.m. otherwise I would definitely do that!
    Spoon + peanut butter. I could eat over a thousand calories in five minutes or less that way. You have a whole hour, that's plenty of time.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If you have time to make such a decision, you have time to eat a spoonful of peanut butter, right?
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I try to work out every day now, but it's been more like 4-5days/ week. I'm short & don't consume high calories either, but I'm tired enough to use that as an excuse not to work out, & on days when I don't eat a lot I want to work out even less. It's really not an ideal situation. Just try & plan eating throughout the day better.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

I agree!
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    yep, I vote for rest. I LOVE your hair by the way!!!!