Push ups -- will I ever be able to do "standard" ones?

Options
I'm doing the thirty day shred and can now do two sets of 15-18 push ups but only girlie ones. When I try to do a proper one, I can only drop a few inches without sacrificing form.

I am 175 ... So will doing a few standard push-ups get attainable with a lot of practices or do I need to weigh less first?

Replies

• vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I read that the girly ones only use some of the same muscles as standard. The tip that helped me go from ZERO to 21 (over time) was to start by doing standard push ups against a wall (hands on the wall, standing up with feet positioned about two feet or so from the wall). Then, start doing them w/ my hands on the kitchen counter. Then with my hands on steps (so now my body was at about a 45 degree angle from the floor), and then lower steps (splitting the difference), until finally I was able to do SIX standard floor push ups. I wish I could recall how long I did each step (two weeks? maybe a month??). I hope this all makes sense, and is helpful.
    Good luck! You'll get there.
  • kacysuzanne
    kacysuzanne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will! I am 34 years old and decided at the beginning of last year to be able to do push ups for the first time. It took a few months, but now I can do 20 with proper form at once and throughout a class, I have done 100. My goal for this year is a pull up. We shall see.
  • kentpac
    Options
    Just start out and do as many proper standard pushups as you can each day and try to add a couple more every 3rd day, make sure you have proper hand placement. Hand placement is important. Good luck
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Pushups are way harder than dumbbells or whatever (as you're lifting 60% of your weight), BUT keep at it and you can improve! Spread your feet a bit wider for better leverage (easier).

Some people take them down to the floor from various gradations (against a wall, then a sofa, then a step, then the floor, all with feet in dude position), but I just started with one crappy half pushup off the floor. Then it was 1. Then 3. Etc. I can do a bunch now, and so will you if you work at it :)
  • linddavis
    Options
    I also started doing girlie push ups but can now do 10 standards and 6 decline push ups!! Never thought
    I would get there. I am doing P90x and in arms/chest he has you do standard, military, wide arm, heart to heart,decline,
    and divebomber push ups. I am wondering if all these different types contributed greatly to my arm strength.
    Just stay w/ it and progress slowly so you dont get injured. :) If I can do it, anyone can it.
  • sara1077
    sara1077 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Just start out and do as many proper standard pushups as you can each day and try to add a couple more every 3rd day, make sure you have proper hand placement. Hand placement is important. Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions! What is the best hand placement? Directly below the shoulders? I am pretty sure I go too wide ...
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lives21
    lives21 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Best hand placement is just outside the shoulders. Not directly underneath them, if I'm not mistaken.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Just start out and do as many proper standard push ups as you can each day and try to add a couple more every 3rd day, make sure you have proper hand placement. Hand placement is important. Good luck

This is the advice I got when I started. Problem was that I could not do a single push up. I'd get into position, begin to lower myself, and BAM, my arms would give out and I'd hit the floor. No matter how hard I tried, I could not do one. And never felt like my effort would ultimately have me succeed at doing one.

I read that starting out at an angle using the wall, or counter, or steps (depending on how high), would help to develop the arm/shoulder muscles to get to a point where one standard push up can be done. So, I had to do them at an angle (hands on steps) for a couple of months. Once I could do about 15 w/ my hands on the third step, I tried a standard push up on the floor. I could do just about six (the sixth being pitiful). Now I can do 25 -- standard, on the floor. :happy:
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I was always bad at push ups. Yoga helped a lot. I would start out in good form, lower as far as I could (even if it was just a few inches) and push back up. Repeat. Over and over! I would try and lower myself farther as I got stronger. I still add in girlie pushups when regular ones get too hard.
  • MomiTia
    MomiTia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    As peeps have suggested, take time to progress from the wall/worktop/stairs and you will succeed :)

And, please don't call them girly pushups! They are 'modified' pushups and even us blokes use them sometimes ;)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a gym with a Smith machine, it makes a very effective "push up trainer. The real challenge in learning to do push ups is calibrating the resistance. With weights you can increase in set (small) increments, but that can be a challenge with body weight exercises.

Enter the Smith machine. If you have seen one, you know it has a series of evenly-spaced hooks. Just find the angle that fits your strength level and place your hands on the bar. As you get stronger just lower the bar down another hook.

I've been using it with some female clients. It even works for modified burpees and mtn climbers.
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    Options
    As peeps have suggested, take time to progress from the wall/worktop/stairs and you will succeed :)

And, please don't call them girly pushups! They are 'modified' pushups and even us blokes use them sometimes ;)
    Love it! I will forever call them 'modified' and remove the negative connotation of 'girly'. :smile:
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I read that the girly ones only use some of the same muscles as standard. The tip that helped me go from ZERO to 21 (over time) was to start by doing standard push ups against a wall (hands on the wall, standing up with feet positioned about two feet or so from the wall). Then, start doing them w/ my hands on the kitchen counter. Then with my hands on steps (so now my body was at about a 45 degree angle from the floor), and then lower steps (splitting the difference), until finally I was able to do SIX standard floor push ups. I wish I could recall how long I did each step (two weeks? maybe a month??). I hope this all makes sense, and is helpful.
    Good luck! You'll get there.

This ^^^^^ is a good approach!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Best hand placement is just outside the shoulders. Not directly underneath them, if I'm not mistaken.

There isn't really a best hand placement per se, just easier and harder. Thumbs under the armpits is the easiest.

One thing that helps to activate all the right muscles, keep tension on in a way where you are trying to twist your hands, in a way that will bring your elbows toward your sides. This tension will turn on some support muscles that will make the pushup easier and prevent collapsing on the way down (it also should load your upper back like a spring, helping you pop out of the hole).

You don't see this tip too much with regular pushups but it is vital with one arm pushups so you don't break your nose as you're learning them.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    Yes, you will!
    No,weight doesnt matter-my mom got her first set at 220lbs!
    Practice! Hold plank, work on going from elbow plank to the top of a pushup.
    Hold the top of a pushup and walk one hand out and in, then alternate.
    Do sets of the toe pushups, even if you only drop an inch or so.
    Do as many as you can on your knees.
    Do cabinet pushups.

The wider variety, the stronger you get!
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions! What is the best hand placement? Directly below the shoulders? I am pretty sure I go too wide ...

whichever is best for you-play with it!
    Wide is wonky on me.
    Standard under the shoulders is comfy.
    Narrow starts to flare up my tennis elbow.

Try them all!
  • cask16
    cask16 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump! Loving these posts! I've done the shred twice and am on my second round of RI30 and I STILL cannot do more than about 4 "proper" pushups! They are my absolute nemisis!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

The safest for joint alignment is hands just under your shoulders and tuck your elbows into your sides as you move down and up. You will feel stronger that way.