Unexpected surgery?!? Now what??

Options
I've been 21 days in my fight for health and body back! And found it awesome! Only eating 1200 a day and was exercising! Eating some cals back and I was stuck on same 200 mark for almost two weeks! Now since Friday I had A MAJOR SURGERY!
That will require NO EXERCISE! Not
Even lifting my two toddlers!
What do I do now! To stay on top? And keep losing? I've been stuck in hospital for three night! Only eating what they give me! Besides a few fruits my husband brought to me! But my cals went way over! I plan on sticking to my goals? But how?? And how many calories?? Aahhhh I'm mad I have to start all over! And not because I quit but becaue of my stupid lady parts!!
Lol! Help me!!

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. Eat at least your BMR and you will still lose weight. You can calculater your TDEE to accomodate for your lack of activity then eat 15-20% below that number.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    If you had surgery, the first and only thing you need to worry about is healing. Screw calorie counting and eat what your body asks for. It's doing a tremendous amount of work healing your innards and making you well. Eat, forget counting calories to a goal number. I had surgery in November and ate everything in sight-mountains over maintenance every day. I gained a couple pounds but got well and I'm all better now-and didn't try to stick to a weight loss calorie goal, end up not fueling my body enough to heal, and extend my recovery time by weeks or months. So seriously-just eat to heal. Get back on plan when your doctor says you are well.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    There is NO need to gain weight and go crazy over food just cause you are healing. Especially this early into your weight loss journey falling back into old habits could set you off track for a long time. Don't starve your self. Eat over your BMR and close to your TDEE but don't go insane (which will give you enough calories to heal). Maintain if you want to but don't gain.
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am facing the same thing and this has caused me huge amounts of anxiety. I hope everything goes well for you in your recovery.
  • cmm7303
    cmm7303 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Set your goals here (it does the TDEE math pretty well, at least for me) at about 1lb a week, and just eat under your cals for now...and focus on healing. I've had a similar surgery, and it can be a real pain....but you'll recover. I promise. Just don't recover 20 lbs heavier...you'll hate that.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    There is NO need to gain weight and go crazy over food just cause you are healing. Especially this early into your weight loss journey falling back into old habits could set you off track for a long time. Don't starve your self. Eat over your BMR and close to your TDEE but don't go insane (which will give you enough calories to heal). Maintain if you want to but don't gain.

WHAT? Yeah there is. Turns out, healing requires calories.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    The body needs a certain amount of nutrients to maintain a constant, healthy state. This need is determined by the basal metabolic rate. Any external or internal trauma raises the metabolic rate, and greater amounts of oxygen and nutrients are required to supply enough fuel and amino acids for repair and recovery.

Energy expenditure may rise by 10 to 50% to support the intense metabolic workload (Omerbegovic 2003). Protein and amino acid requirements increase to support formation of new tissues and proliferation of immune cells, maintain lean body mass (or muscle protein), and replace protein lost to perspiration, bleeding, and excretion.

A positive nutritional balance is reflected in rapid healing of wounds, an efficient immune response, the absence of infections or sepsis (shock), and maintenance of a lean body mass.

Population studies indicate that 9 to 44% of people with wound and surgical trauma are malnourished (Reid 2004). The condition often goes unrecognized and untreated in hospitals, and some studies have explored the increased risk of malnutrition during hospital stays, based on the common occurrence of clinically significant weight loss observed in hospitalized surgical patients (Fettes 2002).

http://www.lef.org/protocols/health_concerns/trauma_04.htm#malnutrition
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I faced the same thing after my surgery 5 1/2 months ago. I was in recovery for two months!! And, I lost 20 lbs. But then during the next two months I started eating like I used to, but couldn't yet exercise at the level I used to and gained 17 lbs. :frown: Basically what I did during those first two months was stick purely to good healthy foods. No fast food, no soda, alcohol, processed foods, etc. I didn't even count calories, I just ate HEALTHY. Your body is healing, so you want to give it the right nutrients to do that. After I gained those 17 lbs. back though I new I was in trouble so that's why I joined this site, and have in the past 6 weeks lost 6 lbs.!! :smile: What I'm basically saying is that you will have to forgo your fitness goals for the time being. Just focus on healing, eat healthy, be healthy. Then when you recover you can focus on getting back to form.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    You just had surgery. Right now, your body needs rest more than anything. Weight-loss should be the last thing on your mind. Just take it easy. Eat enough, rest enough, and just take care of yourself.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Some great advice here.

While you don't want to blow your diet entirely, you do need to fulfill your body's need for nutrients to allow you to heal effectively. You don't have to eat tons of calories but you must ensure that the ones you eat pack a good nutrient rich punch. This might be a good time to ask your doctor to refer you to to a dietitian. Also, your doctor can ask the hospital to put you on a nutritious reduced calorie diet (they have in-house dietitians in hospitals).

Although it may seem disappointing to see your fitness plans derailed so early in the journey, remember that getting over your acute illness (the surgery) must be your top priority. So take good care of yourself while you heal and you'll be back to your diet and fitness plan soon enough.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that you had to have surgery. I wish you a speedy recovery. Now is not the time to think about losing weight. Focus on not gaining weight!

You have to heal; that takes time. Only eat the amount of calories according to your profile. Continue MFP. Try to maintain low carbs, salt and sugars. When your Doctor gives you the okay to workout began with only walking. Regarding lifting weights, I would consult the Dr. first. then consult a physical therapist. Your not really starting over. You are just making adjustments to your new life of taking better care of yourself.

Stay well. :flowerforyou:
  • daimoslain
    Options
    Exercise allow the skin to tighten, but I would take it easy for the moment and eat healthy. I did gain weight when I fractured my ankle, I hated the fact I wasn't mobile for 4 weeks, this was when I work 14yrs. But my weight been up and down, it has been stable when I was on my epilepsy pills but I've gain a 17lbs since i've come of them to start a family.
    I know what my goal is my husband encouraging me to start doing kettlebell training to strenghtening muscles as well doing the cardio on the excercise bike for 20-25 minutes and gradually do more over time.
  • AliTomy
    AliTomy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    While recoviering from surgery I would recommend changing your goals to maintenence or to lose only 1/2lb/week. That way you will have the fuel your body needs to heal, but you wont gain back any of the weight you worked so hard to lose. Also, don't weigh yourself for a few days after surgery - people tend to retain fluid for a short period of time after surgery (from swelling and healing process) so don't get discouraged! Depending on your surgery give yourself a week-2weeks of eating a bit more (within the maintanence or 1/2lb/week goals) then go back to your pre-surgery goals! I'm a nurse and I'd be happy to answer any recovery questions you might have!

Happy healing!
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Take care of yourself first of all...... once your all better then start back up. Eat as healthy as you can while your down.