How does MFP make $

Options
upgetupgetup
upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
Because I am starting to think they will NEVER fix their reporting, in order to make their dime via relationships with 3rd parties to fill the gap.

Replies

• justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    edit: whoops! i thought the title said "how much $ does MFP make"

:blushing: guess i'm tired
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Through ads, like most free sites.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lnjfboOQuh1qjbdyno1_500.gif
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Ad's, sponsored links, maybe Adsense too...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Did you ever notice the little ad bars across the top and down the sides. Sometimes they are even animated? Well people pay to have those ads there, and that's how MFP makes money, simplified version. Lot's more involved 3rd parties and etc.
  • kilroy123
    kilroy123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I actually just posted about a new reporting bookmarklet I made. :)

When you click on my bookmarklet, it loads the page with pretty interactive graphs to play with.

Feel free to check it out!

http://www.sendsteven.com/2013/02/03/myfitnesspal-reports-bookmarklet/

after2.png
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    Did you ever notice the little ad bars across the top and down the sides. Sometimes they are even animated? Well people pay to have those ads there, and that's how MFP makes money, simplified version. Lot's more involved 3rd parties and etc.

I'm not an idiot, yo. I get ads.

I think what I said earlier. Seriously. How long should it freaking take to set up those reports? It shouldn't take 6-12 months! Their priority is making patches/fixes/what have you for the device integration etc etc, because that is what makes money.

They should just be upfront about the fact that they will NEVER get around to the reports, because they do not care, no value in it (or sense in making it available through their FREE service that is, plenty of value to integrate with x y z)
  • kilroy123
    kilroy123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree their reports do suck. That's why I took matters into my own hands...

To be fair, MFP's developers probably want to fix up reporting, add features, etc. But they probably have to spend time doing other tasks instead.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options

To be fair, MFP's developers probably want to fix up reporting, add features, etc. But they probably have to spend time doing other tasks instead.

Aw Kilroy, I'm sure it's not up to them.

And, both you and your bookmarlet are adorable!

Sometimes though, I just want to look at (extract) numbers - mean, mode, median. I want to know how much protein I ate the week my deadlift rocked, how much I ate full stop when I sprained my ankle, or how much vitamin C the week I was fatigued. Because: it takes so much time and effort to learn how to live this way, and all this knowledge about my life is in mfp!

Did I say you were adorable?
  • upgetupgetup
    Options

Seriously. At least with yours, you can see trends. Thank you for the effort!

(And, it's pretty, really! And useful. I'm just looking for way more detail than anyone but MFP could offer)
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mg49wbuAA01rmugu7o1_400.gif