not losing weight. please help!

Options
My name is Brittany. I am 27, 5'3 and 165lbs. I have gained 30lbs in the past year and I'm trying to get rid of that and then some. I have been counting my calories for the past 3 weeks and I haven't lost a pound. I'm supposed to be consuming 1200 calories. I'll admit, I sometimes go over, but rarely do I go over 2000 calories. On average I consume about 1500 calories. I figured, since I'm not eating like I used to (stuff my face until I'm ready to explode) and since I'm eating less than 2000 calories I should be losing some kind of weight. I should have lost a few pounds by now. What is wrong? Also, since I haven't been working and since I've been depressed, I don't have any activity at all. Only for the past week I started dancing to Just Dance on the Wii. Why haven't I lost any weight? Please help

Replies

• spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Because you're short & not exercising. You're probably only eating enough to maintain your weight. I'm 5'2.5". If I ate 1,500-2,000 calories every day & not exercising I'd be gaining weight too.
  • MzLady212
    Options
    I thought that to maintain your weight you should eat 2000 calories so since im eating less than that I should at least lose some weight, even if it's not 2lbs A week like my profile says I should lose based on my height weight and age. How many calories are you consuming? What kind of exercise are you doing and what are your results?
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    How active are you normally on a daily basis? If you eat too many calories, yes you can gain weight. But, it's also possible if you're not eating enough you can gain weight too. I recommend, if you're not very active now and not exercising, first start going for walks, or starting a program. Check out the Fitness and Exercise forums and see what people are doing there.
  • savbentley
    Options
    At your height, 2000+ calories will not be maintaining. You'll gain.
    Stick as close to 1200 as you can, vegetables, fruit, and work out. Watch your sodium. Try to keep it under 2000mgs. At least 8 glasses of water a day. The weight will start coming off, scouts honor.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Your profile ticker says you'd like to lose 12 pounds. How much do you really want to lose? Set up MFP to lose .5lb/wk if it's 12 pounds. If you're actually overweight by around 30 pounds then you can try 1lb/wk for the first 10 or so, but then adjust to .5/wk after that. Then eat the number of calories the program gives you for around four weeks. 2lb/wk is unrealistic for the amount of weight you want to lose. So try setting up MFP and following it the way it's intended first. If it's not working after about four weeks, you'll have to reevaluate your goals and adjust from there.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I thought that to maintain your weight you should eat 2000 calories so since im eating less than that I should at least lose some weight, even if it's not 2lbs A week like my profile says I should lose based on my height weight and age. How many calories are you consuming? What kind of exercise are you doing and what are your results?

That's avg with a little physical activity.

First, are you weighing everything to have a great idea of intake?

You are correct that you could eat below that maintenance figure, whether 2000 or something else, and you should lose, especially if not exercising and causing body improvement.

But is 2000 your maintenance figure?

Sedentary, I'd wager closer to 1800.

With a BMR of 1453.

So eat at 1500 everyday. And set macros to carb 40%, prot 30%, fat 30%.

This should help to retain muscle mass in the face of not doing any lifting to help retain it. But at least reasonable deficit and enough protein can help in that regard.

Now, if you've already lost muscle mass from prior efforts, that BMR and maintenance may be too high sadly. In which case, start doing some pull-ups and pushups and deep knee bends until you can get some lifting in.
  • spamantha57
    Options
    No.
    If you are 5'3" eating 2,000 calories a day & not exercising, I'm pretty darn sure you'd be gaining weight. Not even maintaining - gaining.
    You are about half an inch taller than me, so your minimum calories shouldn't be that much more than mine. Find out your BMR (base metabolic rate) & TDEE (total daily energy expenditure.) In between those numbers are the calories you should be consuming. It definitely will not be 2,000.
    I started doing Insanity 3 weeks ago & I'm not even losing 2lbs a week eating 1,300 calories. I'm losing about .75lb per week toning & gaining muscle while losing fat.
    At 5'3", eating 2,000 calories & not exercising, I would not be complaining that you're not losing 2lbs a week. I'd be thanking the stars I wasn't gaining 2lbs a week.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" - if I ate anywhere near 2000 cals per day I'd be gaining.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Um, I'm 5'7" and my MAINTENANCE is 1700. I would gain at 2000 calories and I'm a lot taller than you and only a little lighter. 2000 calories for a small person like you is a bit high for weight loss I'd say, unless you are VERY active. MFP had me set to 1350 for loss.
  • PrincessT82
    Options
    I hate calorie counting and felt, a while ago, like I was in a very similar position as you. I made healthy changes to my diet, but was not losing weight. I found everyday calorie restriction was just not for me and I couldn't maintain it. I started doing the 5:2 diet (if you interested, there is a group here where you can get more information about it). It works wonders for me. I fast 2 days per week, and eat normally the other 5 days. I try to aim for eating enough calories on my 5 days to "maintain" (ie for me, 5'6" and lightly active (walking everyday and yoga 2xweek), that is around 2000 calories). The weight loss comes from the deficit created on my fast days. It's also supposed to be very healthy. I like it and it works for me.

The point is, if what you're doing now does not work, you obviously need to adjust either what and how your eating, and how much activity you're doing. Everybody is different, not just physically but psychologically, which is an important part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It's really a matter of trial and error.
  • spamantha57
    Options
    I don't want to tell this person to eat 1,200 or feel like she needs to starve herself. I'm a firm believer no one should ever have to go hungry. I can understand the big change going from eating 2,000+ calories for a short person who doesn't exercise & then deciding to try & lose weight. I also don't know the intimate details of her life to make assumptions telling her what she should be eating. But it's not 2,000 calories. Or 1,800. Or probably even 1,600. At 5'3" and no exercise, since that is about my height, I'd guesstimate 1,400-1,500 might be good to start out with. After a couple weeks of logging & seeing if you're full/ hungry/ decided to exercise more/ etc., reevaluate.
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    This is what "I" do which works for me...I found out my BMR and decreased it by 25%. So I'm eating about 900-1200 calories a day to keep a calorie deficit. If I don't exercise, I eat closer to 900, if I do exercise, I eat closer to 1200. You have to find a balance. I also partake in intermittent fasting, which helps keep my calories under control.

I am also 5'3" and 166 lbs (lost 8 lbs so far) trying to get down to 145 lbs. Shorter people have lower BMR, we can't eat as much as taller people. (That's why alot of women gain weight after getting married, they start eating the same amount as their husbands! lol).

ONCE I reach my goal, I will adjust my caloric intake to maintain my weight.

Play with your calorie intake and see what works for you. Decrease a little, and/or start exercising and see what will cause the scale to go down.

Good luck!
  • MzLady212
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You all mentioned factors I knew nothing about so I will do my research on the things I didn't know, adjust my profile and goals and add more water and exercise. I totally understand why I haven't lost any weight. I was misinformed!! Thanks a lot!
  • billthekill
    Options
    Surprised that nobody mentioned this but, are you accurately measuring your food. This is usually the #1 thing on the troubleshooting list.

Do you have a food scale?

If you are "eye balling" food portions, I can guarantee this is your problem.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Surprised that nobody mentioned this but, are you accurately measuring your food. This is usually the #1 thing on the troubleshooting list.

Do you have a food scale?

If you are "eye balling" food portions, I can guarantee this is your problem.

^^yep, this is a very common problem. And when you take into consideration, the average TDEE for someone of your size, OP, is a little over 1,800 when sedentary, it does not take much to take you up to maintenance.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    This is what "I" do which works for me...I found out my BMR and decreased it by 25%. So I'm eating about 900-1200 calories a day to keep a calorie deficit. If I don't exercise, I eat closer to 900, if I do exercise, I eat closer to 1200. You have to find a balance. I also partake in intermittent fasting, which helps keep my calories under control.

I am also 5'3" and 166 lbs (lost 8 lbs so far) trying to get down to 145 lbs. Shorter people have lower BMR, we can't eat as much as taller people. (That's why alot of women gain weight after getting married, they start eating the same amount as their husbands! lol).

ONCE I reach my goal, I will adjust my caloric intake to maintain my weight.

Play with your calorie intake and see what works for you. Decrease a little, and/or start exercising and see what will cause the scale to go down.

Good luck!

OP Please if you do anything do not follow this example!! 900 calories a day is not healthy, you will lose muscle mass and probably be so hungry you will end up eating your arm/dog/anything close to hand.

I would use a online calorie calculator as a first step. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ Is a good one to use. From that you can work out your maintanance calories, your cals to lose weight, all sorts really. It's a good site and also has a lot of good info about the right foods to eat to help you meet your goals. It may be a trial and error experience for the first few weeks working out what amount you need to lose weight. Have patience and don't give up!!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I am about your height and have got into trouble by thinking that 2000 calories was a maintenance level. As others have said, it isn't for us shorties! Jesz124 has linked to a calorie calculator and I think it all makes more sense if you have some sort of idea what your TDEE (the calories you burn in a day) is. You'll probably find it's about 1800 or less if you're sedentary.

That means that you WILL lose weight on 1500, but that it will be slow. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with slow! I eat round about that and I lose weight so slowly that I can't really see any progress from week to week. However, I use the report charts on MFP and that allows me to see progress from month to month instead. MFP has you losing weight on a 1000 calorie deficit for 2 lb a week. You're probably eating closer to a 250 calorie deficit, so you'd expect to lose maybe 1/2 a pound a week - but because it's such a small amount and because weight fluctuates, you'll need quite a long period of time to really see a difference. You might notice it over the next few weeks.

You are absolutely right that you are eating a deficit and so should be losing weight - it's just that it's a smaller deficit than you thought.

For me, personally, I find 1200 hard to stick to, but I don't find 1500 hard to stick to, so for that reason I prefer to eat more and lose more slowly. I also feel that it's worth adding in a little strength training, even if you do nothing else, just to preserve muscle.

Edit: Of course, as you lose weight your TDEE will drop and your deficit will get smaller, so you'll lose even more slowly unless you cut calories a little more (or increase exercise to up your TDEE).
  • SororLuna
    Options
    I am 5 feet 1 inch high, and I was doing one of Jorge Cruise's earlier diets, where you had 1400 calories you could eat a day (400 for breakfast, 100 cal snack, 400 lunch, 100 cal snack, 400 cal supper). I didn't lose any weight. I wrote to him and he said that, since I was short, I should cut breakfast into half, only 200 cals. At 1200 cals per day, I started to lose weight.

My trainer at the gym, when I told him I was eating over 2000 calories a day, said, "um, I lift weights several hours a day, and I would NEVER eat more than about 1700. There is no reason for you to ever eat 2000 calories."

The 2000 calorie daily recommended portion you see written on food, plus the unhealthy portion sizes, is probably the reason why so many of us are heavier than we want to be. 2000 might be o.k. if you are a professional Samba or Flamenco dancer :)

It seems so hard to lose weight when you are short, because a) we think we should eat what everybody else is eating - i.e. a lot more; and also b) when we diet, our taller friends tell us we "starving ourselves," because they don't know that not everybody has the same calorie requirement.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    so nice to see a thread with comments/suggestions that say something else besides " you need to up your calories" or "eat more to lose more".. The sad reality of it, is maybe we need to eat less ??? maybe at some point you may need to up when lifting and working on muscle. But to start you need a DEFICIT.

If I ate more to lose more, I'd be more obese.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    so nice to see a thread with comments/suggestions that say something else besides " you need to up your calories" or "eat more to lose more".. The sad reality of it, is maybe we need to eat less ??? maybe at some point you may need to up when lifting and working on muscle. But to start you need a DEFICIT.

If I ate more to lose more, I'd be more obese.

Thats because she's not trying to survive on 1200 or less cals a day ;-)