Protein

Options
Basic question.

I'm doing very well with working out and all that but I am having serious issues getting enough protein. Are there simple ways to get that without going full on carnivore?

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Eggs, beans and rice, milk, cheese, greek yogurt, protein bars, protein shake and yeah, meat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, eggs/egg whites, cottage cheese, milk, protein powder/shakes.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^plus

Seitan
    Soy
    Quinoa
    Nutritional yeast
    Hemp seeds
    Quorn
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

^^plus

Seitan
    Soy
    Quinoa
    Nutritional yeast
    Hemp seeds
    Quorn

Try edamame (soy beans)...yummy.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly a vegetarian & I get plenty of protein from beans, nuts, peas, eggs, yogurts, cottage cheese, tofu, tuna, veggie burgers, cheese,...
  • Adrini
    Adrini Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm not anti-meat there just aren't many kinds I like. I'll start adding more of these things.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Ever seen vegan bodybuilders?

don't worry about it. eat your food and enjoy, your body will partition things correctly.

Thats not a good argument. If someone chooses to be vegan, they are most likely not going to use steroids. Many competitive bodybuilders are roided to the gills.

Also - protein is not needed in the amounts we were once told. We **** and pee the excess, and we only need .36 to .8 per lb. depending on what you're going for. The 1 to 2 grams per lb. is outdated ARNOLD science just like the raw egg drinking (52% protein absorption to 92% when the egg is cooked).

Link: http://www.livestrong.com/article/454865-how-much-protein-do-you-really-need/
  • savbentley
    Options
    One protein shake can get you halfway to your daily goal. Or make a protein smoothie. Plain greek yogurt, some ice, some protein powder, a little bit of milk or almond milk (add in fruit or nut butter to taste) and bam. Protein heaven.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Also - unlike others have stated - timing of nutrients is important! At least I found I recover faster when they are timed right & I'm eating less animal products.
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Siggi's Icelandic strained yogurt, Vega Vibrancy Bars, and Hemp Pro Fiber added to morning smoothie. Also organic non-fat cottage cheese.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Also - unlike others have stated - timing of nutrients is important!...
    Got any studies to back that up? Because the recent studies I've read indicate that nutrient timing is largely irrelevant unless you're training fasted. The post-workout anabolic window is actually much longer than previously thought - around 24 hours in length.

www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-5.pdf
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

^^plus

Seitan
    Soy
    Quinoa
    Nutritional yeast
    Hemp seeds
    Quorn

Try edamame (soy beans)...yummy.

Add mozzarella string cheese, Quest Bars (but if you buy my stock out from amazon I'll cut you!!! :tongue: or similar), vegetarian meat substitutes, lentils, and other cheeses (but none I've found get you the protein/calories of string cheese)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Also - unlike others have stated - timing of nutrients is important! At least I found I recover faster when they are timed right & I'm eating less animal products.

Others have not stated it as there is no conclusive evidence to suggest it is.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

don't worry about it. eat your food and enjoy, your body will partition things correctly.

Thats not a good argument. If someone chooses to be vegan, they are most likely not going to use steroids. Many competitive bodybuilders are roided to the gills.

Also - protein is not needed in the amounts we were once told. We **** and pee the excess, and we only need .36 to .8 per lb. depending on what you're going for. The 1 to 2 grams per lb. is outdated ARNOLD science just like the raw egg drinking (52% protein absorption to 92% when the egg is cooked).

Link: http://www.livestrong.com/article/454865-how-much-protein-do-you-really-need/

First of all, livestrong is a terrible source. Secondly, these relate to people not on a caloric restriction and not doing any intensive exercise. Plus the studies that support the above numbers are based on nitrogen balance method of ascertaining the amount of protein needed which is a flawed methodology.

This is an excellent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFObr7rc1kA

Also, here are some studies that indicate that the RDA is sub optimal, even for people at maintenance:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Also - protein is not needed in the amounts we were once told. We **** and pee the excess, and we only need .36 to .8 per lb. depending on what you're going for. The 1 to 2 grams per lb. is outdated ARNOLD science

So, let me get this straight...since I am at a 700 calorie deficit, and I eat over 50% of my calories as protein, and my body can only use some arbitrary and small amount of that at a time and the rest is wasted, I should be withering away to nothing at a record setting pace, losing all LBM, and becoming weak as hell, right?

People still actually believe this crap?
  • billthekill
    Options

Did you attend the university of Bro Science?

Not sure if you are srs or just a troll.
  • billthekill
    Options
    To OP, here is a very high protein omelet. Once you eat this, you probably won't have to worry about getting protein for the rest of the day.

One carton of the Kirkland signature real egg product (Or you can get egg beaters)
    4 slices of Jarlsberg Lite Swiss Cheese.
    6 pieces of Canadian Bacon.
    Feel free to add in other stuff like onions or tomatoes.

^^ I got all this from Costco ..........................................................Calories...Carbs.....Fat.....Protein
    eggomlet.png
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Lol! The broscience is strong with this one!! :laugh:
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal protein pancakes - I posted the recipe a little while ago - looks like a weird combo but delicious and about 60% protein. I freeze them, pop one in the microwave and eat it on the way to work if I'm running late. I've made them into waffles before and toasted them instead. Good Luck!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but that is inaccurate. Protein isn't like Vitamin C. We don't excrete what we don't immediately use. If we are in surplus, we turn it into fat. If we are in deficit or maintenance our body uses this to fuel normal processes. Granted the basic biologic processes of this varies a bit by macronutirent when it comes to efficiency, but it certainly isn't randomly being excreted.

Where the heck did the idea of excreting excess protein come from?