*sigh*

Options
Yet another weigh-in day without results. Why do I even bother? Haven't shed a single pound since I started, the 2kg in my ticker are from the flu over New Year's. I record absolutely everything, and though I eat back some exercise calories, that still puts me at TDEE -20% according to the roadmap thingie... (And no, it's not "muscle" and my measurements changing, nice as that excuse would be.)

Maybe I'm just one of those people who's meant to be fat.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The only people who are meant to be fat are those who give themselves over to being fat. If you aren't losing weight after a reasonable amount of time, you either need to deepen your deficit, or train more. It's as simple as that.
  • NBSfit
    NBSfit Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    OR, you have an underlying medical condition that needs to be treated by a doctor. If it has been a while, get a physical. There is always a reason why a human has trouble losing weight.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    <hug>

Hang in there, it does take a bit of time for your body to respond to any changes.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've come to realize the reason why so many people give up their New Years resolutions in February isn't necessarily because they're lazy, it's because they didn't see the results they hoped in January.

Things do take time. I was super gun-ho & excited to get back to exercising last month after over 2 years of not being able to do anything. I thought I could lose 2lbs a week & be a ball of energy. I started doing Insanity & it took me 2&1/2 weeks to lose my 1st pound, & about 9 days after that to lose my 2nd. Been working my butt off & of course wish it was more, but I am seeing a difference & I really have to learn to be more patient (which isn't a virtue of mine.)

Keep at it & don't quit! :)
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hugs. I understand how it feels like to be frustrated with the lack of weight loss. I would really suggest getting your thyroid checked as well as other hormones. I really hope you don't have any medical condition. But any changes or imbalance with your endocrine system can really stall your weight loss. I suggest you discuss this with your general practitioner to get some blood test done and have him/her refer you to an endocrinologist. Thyroid issues are more common than most people think.
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If the weight is still gone a month later it sounds like genuine weight lost, and not just from flu.

It will happen for you if you stick with it! Best of luck!
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there. It can take time. I think the member who suggested seeing a doctor might be spot on. For example, I have an endocrine disorder than does not allow TDEE calculations to give me accurate information (not to mention how much room for error there is...just in the calculation of body fat % alone).

There are just so many things to consider before throwing in the towel. Here are a few:
    1) Accuracy of your body fat percentage and TDEE calculations?
    2) Accuracy of food measurements?
    3) Accuracy of calories burned w/ exercise?

My two favorite tools are a digital food scale and a high quality heart rate monitor. You may already have these, but if not...they can be a great asset. For example, MFP's numbers for a "medium banana" are completely unusable. That could be a 30-50 calorie difference that will add up. Also, MFP usually gives me 200 calories more per workout than my HRM gives me--which would cause someone to "eat back" way more than they should.

You have done great so far by sticking with it and might just need little tweaks like these instead of entire regimen changes.
  • hulkweazel
    hulkweazel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How are you keeping track of the calories you're eating? How are you keeping track of the calories your burning?

I can guarantee you that 90% of the people who say they can't lose weight are underestimating their calorie intake and overestimating their calories burned. Eat less, exercise more. Simple as that.

Yes, some people actually do have a thyroid problem. But it's not that common.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I second the double checking of measurements. Literally everything has to be accounted for. Drinks, salad dressing, fruit, veg, sauces. Water intake seems to effect my fat loss ability. If I don't drink enough water everything slows down. Also, over estimating your calorie needs. Double check your TDEE workings. If you included your exercise in your calcs are you still eating back exercise calories? You may be over eating if so.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    a bit more detail would be useful...

what is your exercise routine? height, start weight, etc etc? and opening your diary would help too!
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hugs. I understand how it feels like to be frustrated with the lack of weight loss. I would really suggest getting your thyroid checked as well as other hormones. I really hope you don't have any medical condition. But any changes or imbalance with your endocrine system can really stall your weight loss. I suggest you discuss this with your general practitioner to get some blood test done and have him/her refer you to an endocrinologist. Thyroid issues are more common than most people think.

My hormones are totally messed up, which has been medically proven. My doctor refuses to treat anything, saying it will go away when I lose weight. Which I can't do. Then he claims it's my own fault for not trying. I am getting very frustrated.

Edited to add: for a start, I know my cortisol is through the roof, so a lot of it could be water weight!
  • Okapi42
    Options
    I second the double checking of measurements. Literally everything has to be accounted for. Drinks, salad dressing, fruit, veg, sauces. Water intake seems to effect my fat loss ability. If I don't drink enough water everything slows down. Also, over estimating your calorie needs. Double check your TDEE workings. If you included your exercise in your calcs are you still eating back exercise calories? You may be over eating if so.

No, I put my activity level as "sedentary" to avoid eating back too much. I don't have a HRM yet, so just putting in 20% below MFP's calorie burn estimates for the moment... And I do log absolutely everything I eat, down to the soy sauce on a stir fry.

At the moment, I do HEMA (European martial arts) 2 hours per week, ride/work with horses 2-5 times per week, cover an average of 125km per month on the bicycle, and have a rather active job that mainly seems to consist of running up and down stairs all day, usually carrying things. Haven't run in a while because of an injury, but that didn't seem to help either.

I'm also seeing a nutritionist, and following her recommendations re calorie intake and macros, but not her advice to eat more meat - I've been a vegetarian for 8 years and see no reason to go back.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

No, I put my activity level as "sedentary" to avoid eating back too much. I don't have a HRM yet, so just putting in 20% below MFP's calorie burn estimates for the moment... And I do log absolutely everything I eat, down to the soy sauce on a stir fry.

At the moment, I do HEMA (European martial arts) 2 hours per week, ride/work with horses 2-5 times per week, cover an average of 125km per month on the bicycle, and have a rather active job that mainly seems to consist of running up and down stairs all day, usually carrying things. Haven't run in a while because of an injury, but that didn't seem to help either.

I'm also seeing a nutritionist, and following her recommendations re calorie intake and macros, but not her advice to eat more meat - I've been a vegetarian for 8 years and see no reason to go back.

You are not sedentary, to start with. How many cals do you net daily?
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have calculated your BMR & TDEE Properly (as accurate as you can with your regular exercise) and -20% from the TDEE. Always eat between these two numbers, if you exercise a lot more than usual on any given day and burn more than your set deficit then eat back up to a minimum of your BMR intake.

Now this is if you don't have a health problem that is causing the stall in weight loss. If it is a health problem then a consult with your doctor on the next step would be a good idea before changing anything.

If there is no health problem and you are eating properly then you may not be challenging your body enough, you need to mix things up a bit... like adding heavier weights or doing more difficult activites.

Hope you find an answer that helps you!
  • Okapi42
    Options
    You are not sedentary, to start with. How many cals do you net daily?

If MFP is to be believed, I net around 1350 per day - and usually eat between 1450 and 1850, depending on how much I've done that day. The nutritionist calculated that I should be eating 1750 daily, regardless of exercise, so the numbers do seem to match up there. TDEE according to the online calculator, with an activity level of "light", is about 2050. I doubt I'm eating too little, but it doesn't seem like it'd be too much either.

Weights aren't really an option at the moment, because I have nerve damage in one shoulder (for which I do light weights as PT) and I'm still recovering from a broken rib.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'm right there, too. Since I joined MFP, I've lost/gained/lost/gained/lost the same 2-3 pounds the whole time while being as strict as I can be with logging my intake and my exercise.

Four years ago I weighed in at my heaviest ever - 207 pounds - and ever since then I've been on a mission to slim down. For the first few years, I didn't focus on calories very much because I was trying to break the bad habit of constantly grazing on bites, sips, nipples and tastes all afternoon every afternoon. I knew that I would get nowhere until I conquered that awful habit.

I finally have that habit under control (mostly) and have been logging food and exercise off and on (mostly on) for the past 2 months. It's so frustrating! However, I'm happy to have lost 22 pounds in the past 4 years. I'm positive that I can keep it off, and I believe with some tweaking of my numbers I will be even more successful in the future.

Remember that all of the calculations for BMI, BMR, TDEE, calories consumed, calories burned, etc are averages. Any individual may need to eat or burn more or less calories than the calculations would indicate. You have to be patient, keep records, and figure out what works for you. I refuse to believe that some of us are just meant to be fat.
  • Okapi42
    Options
    I refuse to believe that some of us are just meant to be fat.

I hope you're right. The really frustrating part is that there weren't many bad habits I needed to break. When I started logging properly, it just confirmed my suspicions that I'd been eating and exercising sensibly all along. Saw a different doctor today for an unrelated matter, and the first thing he told me was to lose weight. :grumble:
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Yet another weigh-in day without results. Why do I even bother? Haven't shed a single pound since I started, the 2kg in my ticker are from the flu over New Year's. I record absolutely everything, and though I eat back some exercise calories, that still puts me at TDEE -20% according to the roadmap thingie... (And no, it's not "muscle" and my measurements changing, nice as that excuse would be.)

Maybe I'm just one of those people who's meant to be fat.

naw ur just one of those people who doesnt know how to lose fat..
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I don't really have an answer for why the scale isn't moving but I did want to say "DON'T GIVE UP". :flowerforyou: Losing weight is not an exact science (yeah, yeah, I know about the calories in, calories out thing but sometimes it really isnt' that simple). Sometimes it takes time to figure out what works for you. Sometimes it also takes a while to find a doctor who really cares about helping you lose weight. Most doctors have no clue about nutrition and weight loss. They are trained to believe that being overweight causes medical conditions when sometimes its the other way around. Is there an endocrinologist in your area that specializes in hormones and weight loss? It might be worth having a consultation if you haven't already.

Keep looking for what works for you and above all, don't give up on yourself!!!!!!
  • Okapi42
    Options
    naw ur just one of those people who doesnt know how to lose fat..

And you are? Please do enlighten me, you can't just make a statement like that and walk away. :wink: Looking at your profile pic, I assume it includes weights. Sadly, those aren't an option for me.