Starting the journey of workout videos

Options
So I'll just come out and say it. I am NOT the type of person who can endure long, hard workout videos. The thought of doing insanity or P90X terrifies me. I was trying to start off with something that I can stay motivated with, and that won't wear me out the first day to the point of it collecting dust, or never being watched again. So, my first idea was to start a Jillian Micheal's videos, probably like 30 Day Shred. So, my question is, any advice? Tips? Tricks? Ideas? Anything? lol Thank you!

Replies

• kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My advice is to start light and do the modified version the first time, so you won't over-do it and be less likely to continue. I could barely walk for a week after my first 30-day shred workout because I went too deep in my squats and lunges when I wasn't used to doing them. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Just take it easy and enjoy, so you can enjoy the next day and the next and so on!
  • tristansmommyx3
    tristansmommyx3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I've been looking at all the other posts about 30DS, and I think I'm convinced I can at least stick with it for 30 days. Who knows, I might actually stick with it if I see results like the ones I have been seeing on others. I just get so frustrated and stuck when I do all this work, and don't see any change.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I started Ripped in 30 by Jillian yesterday, and did day 2 today. I am SORE! But the thing that gets me through it, is that each workout is short. 3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio and 1 minute abs. I just tell myself that its only a few seconds. I am looking forward to this. ,I have told myself 2 million times that I am gonna do this, and I have finally started!!

Good luck!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Why not try something other than videos if you're not a fan of videos?
  • tristansmommyx3
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions! And because I can't seem to stick to ANYTHING I try. I can't afford a gym membership currently because up until yesterday, I was pretty in debt. Do you have any suggestions in what other than videos I might try that would be a motivator?
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    zwow on youtube
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions! And because I can't seem to stick to ANYTHING I try. I can't afford a gym membership currently because up until yesterday, I was pretty in debt. Do you have any suggestions in what other than videos I might try that would be a motivator?

"You are your own gym" is a great strength program that doesn't require a gym or any special equipment.
    C25K is very popular for getting yourself in to a walking/running program, and downloadable for free.
    A jump rope is like $5 and a FANTASTIC workout that you can get done in a really short time every day- and fun! Watch out though, it's brutal!
  • lapocienta
    lapocienta Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is a great program. I can think of two tips for this one (applicable to any other workout):
    *Don't cheat. During the workout, try to give your best, rest only if needed, follow the "beginner" moves only when needed. It's a short video, so If you want any results, you have to give your best.
    *Don't attempt to go 30 days in a row if your body is telling you otherwise. Give yourself a rest day if you need it in order to achieve the first tip :P

I personally enjoy the videos from Fitness Blender. There are workouts for all levels, workouts that target specific muscles o whole body 'boot camps', short videos, long videos, cardio videos and stretching videos. There's no background music so you can play your own. Every move is perfectly explain and there's a nice description for each video that includes an estimated calorie burn for the workout. It's free and the site doesn't require to sign up (although you have to if you want to make comments on the workouts and other features I don't know about because I never signed up).

I know I sound like a member of their advertisement department :tongue: but I'm really happy with that site:
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-group/Full-Length-Workout-Videos/2l/
  • lizzie1030
    Options
    I have been doing exercise videos for a few years. I tried the gym and didn't like the cost, the crowds, having to get in my car on a cold dark winter morning...so I decided to work out at home. I think the key is variety. Over a few years, I have a collection of about 30 videos that I like. They range from Jillian MIchaels to the The Firm to Yoga or pilates. I rotate them so I so I don't get bored. I am turning 50 this year, and I am at my target weight, I have flat abs and muscle definition in my arms and shoulders and very strong legs. I am just saying exercise videos have worked for me by making it part of my daily routine with lots of variety.
  • MrsKgettingfit
    MrsKgettingfit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is a great program. I can think of two tips for this one (applicable to any other workout):
    *Don't cheat. During the workout, try to give your best, rest only if needed, follow the "beginner" moves only when needed. It's a short video, so If you want any results, you have to give your best.
    *Don't attempt to go 30 days in a row if your body is telling you otherwise. Give yourself a rest day if you need it in order to achieve the first tip :P

I personally enjoy the videos from Fitness Blender. There are workouts for all levels, workouts that target specific muscles o whole body 'boot camps', short videos, long videos, cardio videos and stretching videos. There's no background music so you can play your own. Every move is perfectly explain and there's a nice description for each video that includes an estimated calorie burn for the workout. It's free and the site doesn't require to sign up (although you have to if you want to make comments on the workouts and other features I don't know about because I never signed up).

I know I sound like a member of their advertisement department :tongue: but I'm really happy with that site:
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-group/Full-Length-Workout-Videos/2l/

wss^^
    I do videos from fitness blender, much prefer them over 30DS tbh. I find the shred boring and after few days of it had no motivation to finish it. With fitness blender you can choose what video you want to do so it doesnt get repetitive.
  • tristansmommyx3
    Options
    I would quote all of the wonderful advice, but that would just take up space haha. But all of you have helped a lot! I'm getting on FitnessBlender right now, because I would like to give that a shot first. I think I'm going to start 30DS today as well, and see how long I can stick with it because of the powerful results I have been seeing as far as losing inches, which is what I'm aiming for. As for staying motivated, I'm hoping that I can do it between all the awesome people on here, and of course, having to motivate myself. Thank you all again!