Struggling to eat 1200

Options
Hi new to all this is anyone else struggling with 1200 calories, i go to the gym 5 nights a week which then bumps it up to even more calories which is impossible for me to eat as I'm not hungry any suggestions.x

Replies

• larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Welcome - Your diary is not public so not sure what your 1200 calories looks like. It's important not to consistently eat under 1200 calories if you can help it. How about adding nuts or avocado ? Good sources of fat and protein will help bring the calorie count up. Good luck!
  • steare31
    Options
    Try adding a protein shake to your diet to help with the calorie intake. Will help you not lose muscle also if you are doing HIIT.
  • gypsylosefat
    Options
    I never go over 800cal a day, i just dont want it. I pay no notice to the earned calories, why burn them just to put them back again. Everyones different, dont feel you have to eat that many calories unless your body needs them.
  • debbie6868
    Options
    How do you make your diary public.x
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    a fruit smoothy with peanut butter + coconut oil is over 1000cals . simple
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Can't eat 1200 cals yet you claim that you have 40Lbs to lose!

Nuts are an easy way to add calories when you're not hungry.
  • debbie6868
    Options
    Struggle to eat now because I've cut out all chocolate sweet stuff an fizzy drinks which made me gain the weight in the first place now I'm trying to eat more healthy it's a lot less calories but fill more full up.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Hi new to all this is anyone else struggling with 1200 calories, i go to the gym 5 nights a week which then bumps it up to even more calories which is impossible for me to eat as I'm not hungry any suggestions.x

solution:

two big tablespoons of peanut butter = 190 calories.

seriously though, if you're avoiding calorie dense foods and sticking with things like lettuce and celery and grapes, then its no wonder you're having a tough time. eat nuts or breads to add back calories quickly.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Dark Chocolate is a healthy alternative and can provide you some of the missing calories.
  • als13star
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the extra calories you can have due to exercise just try and manage the original1200, bigger portions of what your already eating, good luck
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,055 Member
    Options
    to make your diary public, go to More on your phone or ipad, last thing listed under home, food, excercise etc - go to settings then diary sharing settings and tick Public and then save that.

to the PP who said she never eats above 800 calories - that sounds far too little and not healthy in the long run - or even the short run
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Avocado, almonds, walnuts, oily fish like salmon, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil are some other ways to up your calories easily.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    To answer the "why burn them just to eat them back" question: because your body needs fuel. If you want to have a good workout and feel good you have to give your body what it needs to do these things. I'd bet money 1200 calories is under your BMR (and guaranteed whatever your NET is after you exercise is) please do this healthily so the weight stays off. It works for some and that's good for them but for your average person 1200 calories is crash diet territory. Trust me it's how I started and I'm glad I caught it before I felt worse.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I never go over 800cal a day, i just dont want it. I pay no notice to the earned calories, why burn them just to put them back again. Everyones different, dont feel you have to eat that many calories unless your body needs them.

everybody is not different.

you are starving yourself at 800 calories and you will pay dearly due to this lack of nutrition. not only will you being to suffer ill health as a result, but 800 calories is truly eating disorder territory. you may have a difficult road of recovery from that. also, the hormones in your body are going to negatively affect your ability to burn stored fat. it doesn't have to be this way. eat more. eat above your BMR, but below your TDEE and you can lose weight in a more healthy way.

i'm not foolish enough to believe you'll listen to me. i know you're going to continue to do what you're doing. but there will be consequences. hopefully you'll come back and ask for help, with a more open mind. people here really do want you to succeed, but we also want you to be healthy and happy too. even though i don't believe you will listen to me, i am posting this response for the benefit of the lurkers who may see it and may think 800 calories would work for them too. it won't.

check out Dan's Roadmap thread for a listing of some of the consequences of eating well below your BMR for a prolonged period of time.

good luck.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options

everybody is not different.

you are starving yourself at 800 calories and you will pay dearly due to this lack of nutrition. not only will you being to suffer ill health as a result, but 800 calories is truly eating disorder territory. you may have a difficult road of recovery from that. also, the hormones in your body are going to negatively affect your ability to burn stored fat. it doesn't have to be this way. eat more. eat above your BMR, but below your TDEE and you can lose weight in a more healthy way.

i'm not foolish enough to believe you'll listen to me. i know you're going to continue to do what you're doing. but there will be consequences. hopefully you'll come back and ask for help, with a more open mind. people here really do want you to succeed, but we also want you to be healthy and happy too. even though i don't believe you will listen to me, i am posting this response for the benefit of the lurkers who may see it and may think 800 calories would work for them too. it won't.

check out Dan's Roadmap thread for a listing of some of the consequences of eating well below your BMR for a prolonged period of time.

good luck.

ditto!!!!
  • mdspencer_uk
    Options

I think you are missing the point here. Firstly, you did not answer the poster's question. Secondly, unless you are tiny and your minimum calorific requirements are just 800 calories, you are not nourishing yourself properly. If you are burning more calories, you need to increase your intake to allow for the extra calorific expenditure.

To answer the O/P, find healthy foods that you enjoy that have higher calorific values but which keep you within your protein, carbohydrate and fat macros and eat more of those. Maybe eat more but smaller meals in a day. I would often find myself not being hungry but in need of calories so I would do this. This was particularly hard when I switched from losing weight to maintenance as I was used to eating fewer calories.
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I struggle on 1200 myself.I have upped my calories since I am following the nutrition guide for a beachbody workout that I do.
    My suggestions are,nuts,almonds,macadamia.It's good for you too.
    Peanut butter
    Salmon
    Protein shakes

All of this make it to my food diary regularly.
    I always try and reach 1200.Eating less is not good for your body.Read this when you have the chance.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Hope you can get to your daily calorie goal!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Do NOT follow this advice.

You will need far more than 800 calories if you are working out.

Losing at such a defict will not help you get the body you want, as you will be losing too much lean mass along the way. You do not want to end up "skinny fat"

Eat at a moderate defict, get in enough proteins and fats, and do some strength training.
  • Started to read this post thinking the content is similar to my own jouney and was hoping to get some tips but in fact, it is the OPPOSITE!
    I am trying to keep within the 1200 cals but keep going over! Am I so under-disciplined? How come so many of you can keep within and a lot of you are actually STRUGGLING to reach 1200!
    I am a working mother and have 2 young children (4 and 1.5yrs) and if anyone can give me some tips on how to keep with 1200, that will be great!
    My general food intake is as follows -
    Breakfast - either 2 slices of toast with jam or porridge
    Lunch - salad
    snack - apple or orange
    Dinner - chicken/beef and veg and some rice/pasta
    During the week, I keep well to the above but i find the weekend to be a struggle. I'm always going over at the weekend. It's normally due to lunch/dinner with friends and family.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, your body does NEED the earned calories. 800 calories a day is just dangerous. Of course, you are free to do what you want with your body, but please stop encouraging others to be irresponsible.