Another TDEE help question

Options
I'm going round in circles here, hope someone can point me in the correct direction.

I've read many threads on here and am confusing myself with TDEE and BMR etc. I have grasped the basics but am struggling to get the equations/balance right. I've used the Scoobyworkshop calculator that I read about on here, and it calculates my BMR at 1460 and TDEE at 2518. MFP has had me eating only 1200 for the last 6 weeks!

I've lost only 4lbs in 6 weeks and am quite out of energy and snappy by mid afternoon (poor husband). I'm doing Insanity workout program, and I also run 30 mins 3x per week.

My question is: If I increase my food intake to 1500 is that enough? And do I eat back exercise calories on top of that?

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Replies

• truecaligirl
    truecaligirl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    There is a group called Eat more 2 weigh less on here. TDEE and BMR are explained in detail there. You may wanna consider joining the group so you can answer all your questions.
  • AllyLouB
    AllyLouB Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    shall look now, thankyou :)
  • truecaligirl
    truecaligirl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Your welcome. I hope it helps you. I never understood it until I read it on there.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    your BMR is the minimum you should be eating, i think you know that already.

your TDEE sounds pretty high. at what level of activity did you set it for? honestly, unless you are a professional athlete, it shouldn't go higher than "lightly active," and most of us are normally sedentary.

for weight loss, take your TDEE at lightly active, and subtract 20% from that. hopefully it give you a number higher than 1460. and no, don't eat back your exercise calories.

try that for a little while. some people find success with it. some don't.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Yes eat your exercise calories back. I'd eat more than 1500 (go back to the calculator and enter Fat loss -15% I think it is. Eat whatever pops up in the box for step 6.)
  • AllyLouB
    AllyLouB Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    yes it seems I greatly exaggerated it...I figured as I don't sit on my bum all day (chasing toddler plus exercise), I would be classed as more than lightly active. Thanks tho..I'll alter it.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

The books say that you can set your calorie limit in the following range to lose weight:

MInimum calorie limit: your BMR so in your case at 1460 and then eat back your exercise,
    Max calorie limit to lose weight: TDEE minus 20% in your case about 2000 and then do NOT eat back your calories.

There is no magic number, see where it feels comfortable and sustainable between the 1460 and 2000 for you where you lose weight and can feel good.

I also started out on 1200 cals, and moderate workouts but after 3 weeks, I have wisened up having read everything. I now eat slightly above my BMR at 1600 and eat back my exercise calories to the point that I am hungry, sometimes all, sometimes some, sometimes none. I am now waiting to see how this works but it is certainly a much more sustainable and healthy approach for me, more like a life-style change than a diet.

Feel free to add me. Always looking for friends.