Can i do this?

Options
Hi all! I'm 19 years old. The last four years been trying. So tough that I allowed myself to put on about 70 pounds.

So i'm at a point where I DESPERATELY want to lose this extra weight and start living my life as it should be lived. I have allowed my weight to hold me back from many important things---friends, family, functions, parties....even my only sister's wedding. I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I ALLOWED THIS PROBLEM TO CONTROL MY LIFE SO MUCH!

So after many attempts, i'm going to lose this weight the right way.

I'm tired and i'm desperate and i'm so determined to do this one day at a time. With your help and strength from God, I will lose this weight.

I would like to lose about 40 pounds for my birthday in June....can I?

I really don't want to enter my twenties like this.

Thank you all!

Replies

• delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking the first step and WANTING TO MAKE A CHANGE!

It is important to be happy with yourself and to know that this is a change you are going to make forever and it may not go as fast as you want it but it will happen

to lose 40lbs by June that is roughly 8lbs a month. While it is possible......I would set more realistic goals because you dont want to set yourself up for disappointment if you cant make it.

Start month to month and see how your body responds. You will lose more in the beginning and it will begin to slow. But YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Best of luck to you

feel free to add me
  • oonaghmolly
    oonaghmolly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh dear - please take heart and start to regain control of YOUR life, YOUR body, YOUR mind.

40 lb is rather ambitious and puts you into that do or die diet place. How about just eating healthy and wise and seeing where it goes without hard targets that will despair you if not achieved. You will loose weight by June, that's a certainty and that's a bonus :heart:
  • Healthy2Be21
    Healthy2Be21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am glad that you have decided to change your life! You just have to remember that this is a lifestyle change not a diet. Diets are things you quit, lifestyle changes are forever. It is possible that you can lose 40 pounds by June but it is all up to you and how hard you push yourself! I have been going for almost 2 months and have lost 20lbs as of this morning. I am so excited but I know that that the weight hasn't come off by itself I have sweated every ounce of it off in the past few months!

I am turning 21 on Wednesday and always thought I would be skinny by the time I turned 21, but I never actually changed my lifestyle until now. So now I am going to be fat for my 21st but I am ok with it because I know by my 22nd bday I will happy and healthy! I already feel a lot better about myself though because I know how far I have come!

You can do this! You can ad me as a friend if you want to :) Just believe in yourself and push yourself and you can make a miracle happen :)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Remember than any healthy weight loss is a success. Sometimes the weight will come off faster, sometimes you'll have fluctuations due to all sorts of things. You can definitely lose weight. Can you lose 40 lbs by June? Maybe, maybe not, but that's no reason not to do it.

By the way, it sounds to me like there might be some mental stuff going on there that you would be able to manage better with the help of a trained professional. Your profile doesn't say where you live, but if money is an object, many places have psychologists that work on sliding scales, or offer lower rates if you get treated by a graduating working the clinical hours to get their license.
  • Garfunklette
    Garfunklette Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's fantastic that you're ready to change by doing MFP! That said, 40 pounds is probably a bit much to hope for by June. A healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week. 2 lbs * 16 wks = 32 pounds. Also, the weight loss will not be linear. So you'll lose a bunch in the first two weeks, and it will taper off, and at some point in there will be a plateau.

My recommendation (not a professional, take with grain of salt) is to take pictures and measurements, and aim for fitness goals. Don't weigh in more than once every two weeks.

This link will help you figure out your calorie intake:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Best of luck!
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi, congrats on the positive decision! the first few steps are always the hardest.

May I ask how much do you weigh now? Because losing 40 lb in 5 months in a healthy way IS possible, but only if you're quite heavy to start with. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it may be an unhealthy goal or may cause other issues along the line. Look at it this way: you didn't gain the weight in 5 months, it's probably not all going to disappear in 5 months. That said, you can most definitely lose weight, gain strength and feel great about yourself. Any weight that you lose between now and June is first off weight that you haven't gained and secondly, you'll be on the right path to turning your life around. Your whole life! that's a rather big thing to turn around (pun intended).

the psychological aspect is as important as the physical: I "only" lost 32 lb over a whole year and I'm still trying to come to grips with my own image in the mirror vs. what other people (apparently) see. For most people it's best to go slow with the weightloss. Not only is it easier for your body to cope (you don't risk malnourishing your internal organs, you'll end up with less loose skin, or none at all if you're lucky); it also gives your brain time to cope. After all, you don't want to lose the weight just to gain it back later, right? You want to instill healthy habits so that you'll never gain the weight back again; and that takes time.
  • msgrowinggirl20
    Options
    Thank you all!

O.k...point taken! I'm 204 pounds right now.

I would have loved to be a certain weight by June but any weight loss is great right now.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I would like to lose about 40 pounds for my birthday in June....can I?

It's certainly do-able! 2.5lbs a week is very achievable with the right focus on eating & exercise and most importantly...dedication!

Good luck.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    2,5 lbs is definitely achievable. If you're in some sort of ultimate weight loss challenge where you're constantly working out and being helped with perfect eating. Other than that, for most people (especially women) it'll not be possible to keep this up week after week, while eating a healthy amount of nutrients.

My advice would be to look at this as a lifestyle, like either people said. Eat, and work-out like you will for the rest of your life. Sooner or later your body will catch up with your lifestyle without even thinking about dieting.
  • msgrowinggirl20
    Options
    Thank you very much!