Getting a full body check. UK lot please!

Options
Hi,

I'm after a full body check! Blood work, Blood pressure, everything. I want to know what kind of shape my body is in, cholesterol etc. However pretty sure if I go to my GP they won't do one unless something is 'wrong' with me since I don't think those kind of tests re on the NHS.

Does anyone have any idea of where one can go to get one done? I imagine it's a private clinic, and any idea on cost?

Thanks

Will

Replies

• jacinta13011
    Options
    I think there are certain tests the doctor should be able to do for you, I recently had cholesterol and liver fuction tests done even though there is nothing wrong. Tell them you are wanting to get fit and change your life style and they should do them for you, its worth asking what they will do for you, you can go for a 'well man check' I think and they check bloods as well, not sure which ones though.
    Hope this helps.
  • Lottiehill29
    Lottiehill29 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi Will

Local chemists do blood pressure, bmi, weight and height checks for free.

Are they any weight management services in your area?
    I'm in Redcar and we have ones in Brotton, Middlesbrough and Stockton where they provide health checks and such I'm sure.

Hope that helps :-)
    Charlotte
  • ChetThaker
    ChetThaker Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I know Bupa and Nuffield Health do these health checks as I have them done through my work. Not sure about the costs though but I'd guess they're a few hundres pounds.
  • claire7090
    Options
    If you are overweight then you can probably have this done on the NHS.

My friend who is obese is losing weight with the help of the practice nurse - they started by giving her a full work up (BP, cholesterol, weight, height, body fat etc) and now set her goals and she goes to the doctors surgery to see the nurse every two weeks for follow up checks.

I would ask your GP practice first as loads of them are running weight loss clinics. (In our area you can even be referred for free to a gym to help you increase your exercise with the guidance of a gym instructor if you are obese).

Hope this helps.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Hi Will

Local chemists do blood pressure, bmi, weight and height checks for free.

Are they any weight management services in your area?
    I'm in Redcar and we have ones in Brotton, Middlesbrough and Stockton where they provide health checks and such I'm sure.

Hope that helps :-)
    Charlotte

TBH I'm fine for BMI/height/weight etc. I think I'm more interested on stuff on the inside I can't see. So basically, I need a blood test. I hare needles.
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Your GP should oblige.

Tell him that you have become more health conscious and want to change your ways. Your GP will appreciate this because you would ultimately become less of a burden upon him/her and the NHS
  • Gemz321
    Options
    If you go to your dr, you should be able to ask for a general check up. Just say you are trying to have a healthy lifestyle so want to make sure how your doing. I know my dad went to his normal GP just asking for a general check up and they did a blood sample, blood pressure reading weight etc. I think they might have checked cholesterol as well. Its worth asking as then its free. Otherwise I believe you can get checks done privately such as BUPA, but then you have to pay the cost.
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Our health centre do a mens health check clinic. This includes all the tests & they send you the results through re cholesterol levels etc BUT this is done around you turning 40. I think the government gives them 'money' for running certain programmes & clinics

Worth asking at your GP's though, you never know !!!!

:bigsmile:
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I get mine done though work it costs £36 but I am sure it is quite discounted due to the role I am in.....
    I use to get mine done at my GP the nurses at our surgey do it :-) so check with your local doctor first
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You can usually get a check with the nurse on the NHS, most practices have regular health check clinics. Call your surgery to make an appointment and tell them what you're after. Doctors would much prefer you got stuff like cholesterol checked before it starts causing a problem!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Boots do one, I think it's about £50.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Most NHS doctors do a wellman clinic and you can get everything checked out there.
  • Kryxx
    Kryxx Posts: 34
    Options
    Your GP will definately give you a free health test if you ask. If you state that you're making some big lifestlye changes to attain a healthier state, they are obliged to a general checkup to monitor that you are not putting yourself at risk with drastic changes.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Will,

I know that Bupa, Nuffield and other Health Providers do them, I have seen prices and referrals on the Prudential website, but at about £250 if I remember rightly.

But also, once a month or so there is usually a full blood test for about £100 on Groupon. Of course that depends where you are, but it showed me that all my local hospitals do them for a private fee.

Maybe you should check with your doctor if they will do a full check for a fee? I imagine it would still be cheaper than Bupa etc, and at least your doc would be able to respond to any results immediately.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    BUPA do quite a range of healthchecks. My brother has a really comprehensive one every few years mostly focussed on the medical/disease side. In fact my brother wasn't impressed by the basic fitness test as they set the heartrate so low it was over before he got to any significant exertion!

http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-assessments/advanced-health
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Your NHS health practice will certainly oblige with BP, cholesterol. etc., they most certainly prefer for you to flag up and address any issues before they become a major problem - and it is FREE!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    They'll do it all for free
  • weffie11
    Options
    I think you can look up a doctor who does functional medicine and the tests can vary from £65-650 depending on what you want to look at!!
    There's quite a lot of information on a site called M10fitness and their Facebook page also has a lot of information and you can contact them directly
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you are overweight then you can probably have this done on the NHS.

My friend who is obese is losing weight with the help of the practice nurse - they started by giving her a full work up (BP, cholesterol, weight, height, body fat etc) and now set her goals and she goes to the doctors surgery to see the nurse every two weeks for follow up checks.

I would ask your GP practice first as loads of them are running weight loss clinics. (In our area you can even be referred for free to a gym to help you increase your exercise with the guidance of a gym instructor if you are obese).

Hope this helps.
    ^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^
    And I think they love it much more when a male asks for those sort of checks. Alot of men seem to bury their heads in the sand :wink:
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have had one done at my GP, my family history has high bp and cholesterol so said I just wanted to make sure I wasn't heading down the same route.

Also Sainsburys did a free check up not so long ago when I had my cholesterol etc checked, so its worth seeing if they're doing it in your local supermarket