Green tea and water

Options
Does anyone count green tea as part of their water intake, or do you only count plain water?

Replies

• mdigiac
    Options
    bump
  • loopylyn123
    Options
    I was also wondering about green tea as I do drink a few cups a day but i have never counted it as water. Again should we be counting it as water ?
  • thelma1952
    Options
    I think you should count it as water, the same as black cofee................there are no calories in them so they must be classed as water..........thats what I do anyway. x
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    This is a topic that divides the world. But it's going to come down to your personal choice.

I only log plain, nothing added, water to my water count for the day. Yesterday I had 12 8oz cups of water and a 12oz cup of unsweetened tea. But my log only shows 12 cups of water, because that's just how I prefer to do it.

The way I see it, I never think, "Hey, I want a glass of water", and then make some tea or coffee to drink or grab a packet or container of flavor to squirt in said water. I just drink the water. If I want tea, then I drink tea. And the tea I drink has potassium in it, so when I do drink it, I log it as tea, even though it has no calories.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water. To each his own though.
  • htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hot Green tea is the best. Personally I count it..
  • Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Green tea and coffee and other teas have caffeine which is diuretic so you actually lose water in a sense so best not to count them as water.
  • DotCanada
    DotCanada Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do count green tea (hot not iced) as a water - I followed weight watchers for two years, and this is what I did at that time so I have continued to do so....no calories = counted as a water in my log. BUT I also do make sure that I drink H2O as well! I just am not a plain water fan, so can't get 8 glasses "on the rocks" into me.
  • hypocritelecter
    hypocritelecter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't count them as water, but I do log them so I can keep track of how much (and of what) I'm drinking during the day.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Green tea and coffee and other teas have caffeine which is diuretic so you actually lose water in a sense so best not to count them as water.

Exactly! Green tea and coffee contain caffeine so they dehydrate you. Probably shouldn't count them as water.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Exactly! Green tea and coffee contain caffeine so they dehydrate you. Probably shouldn't count them as water.
    Incorrect. Read this post, which contains links to peer-reviewed studies debunking this myth:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821181-myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I personally count green tea as water. I also will count water with EmergenC added as water.
    I do not count coffee or when I add a Via Refresher (Starbucks) to a bottle of water.
  • htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes caffeine is a diuretic, but is its effect will be based on the amount consumed. Not until you get 300-500 mg/day will you really notice it.. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

The reason to drink water is to stay hydrated. The hydrating effect of green tea is well above the diuretic effect it has. As long you aren't consuming mass amounts of caffeine anything juicy will be hydrating.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I count water as water. I suppose you could do it either way though; unsweetened green tea without lemon isn't much different from water lol
  • Kioko1973
    Kioko1973 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I only count plain water but do add green tea to my meals.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    i only count water. I will count the crystal light packets if I add them but I've been cutting those out of my life now too...when you see my diary says 18 cups of water that means I drank 18 8oz bottles of water
  • Cutemisscoco
    Options
    I only count water but I still track any coffee or tea I drink in a day.
  • annalisa5525
    Options
    I log green tea in my diary and only count plain water in the water log, but i dont see why you couldn't count it as water. I think its just personal preference.
  • loopylyn123
    Options
    I have now decided to count Twinnings green tea the same as I do water. It is only 1 calorie and after all it definatly isnt food ! I do count milk products and any other liquid that involves a few calories but this just isnt worth it !
  • Gemz321
    Options
    I count green tea, as green tea. When I drink it, it makes me thirsty for water so I drink more water as a result anyway.