satisfied???

Options
Do we ever reach a point where we become satified with our weight loss - I have reached my weight loss goal as far a pounds lost, and I can run a 1/2 marathon, but there is still no feeling of satisfaction or contentment....is that a good or bad thing or just an impossible dream?

Replies

• tracymccownlafon
    Options
    I got there, not really satisfied but reached my goals and didn't realize (as I should have) that this is a life process, that is why I am back here. I made goal weight in 9 months, losing over 60 pounds and going from a size 16 to a size 6. Slowly, I let it creep back, only 16/18 pounds but still, I let myself be satisfied. I think being satisfied is a negative term in a healthy life and weight. We always have to keep at it, it is a life changing thing.
  • natalieakyzer
    natalieakyzer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Be careful with not being satisfied with yourself. From experience I can tell you I lost 60 lbs and was a size 6, and kept it off for about 4 years. However I was never happy with myself. No matter how great everyone said I looked I still felt fat, and in the process I gained it all back. So here I am agian working on losing the weight. I believe this happened because I needed to work on my self image. I needed to see my self worth does not come from how I look. There will always be someone out there who looks better or who is doing better in life. Where does your self worth come from? Are you losing weight to be happy or to be healthy? If its to be happy you may be like me and never find it. I have had to change my mind set. I want to lose weight to be healthy. I've decided to be happy with my life as I am now, and to not wait until I reach a certain goal before I allow happiness and contentment.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Depends on what exactly you mean-the way you look, the way you feel, or how you thought life would be? Personally, I am never completely happy with the way I look. It's been a lifelong thing for me to accept that there is only but so much I can do with the genes I have. BUT, I feel pretty great, especially for my age (almost 52) and life has purpose & is fun & fulfilling. I don't have the aches and pains that many of my peers have, and I feel grateful for that. Remember, life is more than just a number on a scale.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm not what I'd call satisfied and I'm not trying to lose anymore, either. I think as you change physically and lose the weight, your expectations change, too. I guess I'm glad, because that lack of "satisfaction" helps keep me on track as far as maintenance.
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Wow! You have done a thing that millions of Americans would think is impossible. You have done something amazing!!
    Somehow, I think there's something about humans that keep us from being satisfied. We always seem to be looking for more.

When I think about my own journey and how I got here, I realize that I used food and alcohol to feel better about the things I didn't have or believed that I couldn't do. So, now I'm working not only on losing weight, being healthy, etc., but I am creating a life that I will love and be passionate about. It won't be rainbows and gumdrops all the time, but I spent so much of my life not happy with me or circumstances. I won't do that any longer. It's really hard to think about what I want. That's not usually how I roll.

Is there something that you imagined would happen when you "finished"? Did you have a picture in your mind?

Sorry if this is random...

Congrats again!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Wow! You have done a thing that millions of Americans would think is impossible. You have done something amazing!!
    Somehow, I think there's something about humans that keep us from being satisfied. We always seem to be looking for more.

When I think about my own journey and how I got here, I realize that I used food and alcohol to feel better about the things I didn't have or believed that I couldn't do. So, now I'm working not only on losing weight, being healthy, etc., but I am creating a life that I will love and be passionate about. It won't be rainbows and gumdrops all the time, but I spent so much of my life not happy with me or circumstances. I won't do that any longer. It's really hard to think about what I want. That's not usually how I roll.

Is there something that you imagined would happen when you "finished"? Did you have a picture in your mind?

Sorry if this is random...

Congrats again!

I like this! YES!
  • ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Good question maryannelk - I don't know that I had any real expectations of what it would look or feel like when I was done..Honestly I don't feel any different mentally than I did when I was twice my size...so I guess I just need to set some new goals and keep going - because there are ALOT of things that I want to accomplish so maybe I will start making a new list!!! A Triathlon is definitely one of those things!!
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    YES!
    But now I have put on 5 pounds
    My goal was 127, I got down to 115
    But now I am at 121
    I eat between 1100 and 1200 calories
    I can not figure out why my weight is going up!
    I want to stay a size 4,( I bought a high dollar black dress, it is a size 2
    I would like to wear it at least once!)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!