Do you eat the rest of your calories at the end of the week?

Options
Hi,

I exercised and ate good all week so yesterday I had about 4000 calories left. I decided to splurge on food yesterday since I had all those calories left from the week.

My co-workers who are also using MFP told me I am just supposed to stick to my daily allowance and the calories do not roll over like on weight watchers.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I've lost 107 lbs going by my weekly average, I too had excess calories yesterday and used most of them at our Superbowl party. Yes it works, for me, it works quite well.
  • sassy_sadie
    sassy_sadie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think everyone's different. If it helps you to have one higher calorie day a week, go for it.

I *personally* think this idea is fine. It all balances out over the week, anyway. I probably wouldn't eat 4,000 extra calories in one day just because I can't imagine being that hungry, but eating 2,000 calories instead of 1,500 wouldn't be out of the norm.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    some say they do and some say no.. Some plan cheat days.. I prefer to have a treat every day so I don't need cheat days...
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    If I am hungry , yes.
  • Flossie1981
    Flossie1981 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    For me if I have a "cheat day" I then find it hard to regain focus for the rest of the week
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I have lost 75 lbs using the "rollover calories" approach. I just go for the weekly average-I don't necessarily go chow down leftover calories jut because they are there, but if I have leftovers and want a treat or have something special going on, I'll totally use leftover calories.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I've never paid attention to the weekly average, but every once in awhile (like last night), I have a "throw caution to the wind" meal. I haven't been very successful with weight loss so far.
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sunday is kind of a lazy family day and, if I'm going to go over on my calories, Sunday is likely to be the day that happens. I almost always have leftover calories, so it's nice knowing I can have a little extra without "cheating". I don't deliberately plan to over over my plan, but if it happens ... no harm, no foul. :wink:
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If a occasion arises, I absolutely use my calories at the end of the week. MFP has a built in deficit, so it won't hurt to consume those remaining calories if you so choose. (Although I'm not sure if I'd take in an extra 4,000 in one day...)

I guess I'm surprised that you have 4,000 calories left over. That's nearly 600 unused calories per day. I can't see your diary or your workouts --- so I can't pass judgments on what you are/are not taking in or burning off, calorie-wise. Just remember -- food is fuel :)
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Maybe its because its Monday morning and I have not had enough coffee yet, but how do you track your weekly calories?
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I did. Being it was the Super Bowl and all. But normally I don't, but I also usually only have 4 or 500 extra at the end of the week.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Maybe its because its Monday morning and I have not had enough coffee yet, but how do you track your weekly calories?

The phone apps have a weekly tracking option. (before MFP I kept a paper log, added 7 days worth of intake, minus output, divided by 7.)
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I use my weekly average--that way if I'm way under say, Monday and feel like I am starving on Thursday, there's no worry. It's worked for me so far. I don't have "cheat" days, I just have some days where if I go over cals, I don't freak out about it. It's much easier for me to manage this way.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Just realized I could view that... No, I never have.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I never have that much extra at the end of the week but I do the week view. I feel like some days I eat more and some days I eat less. That's real life. I keep a certain daily minimum in mind but otherwise, I let it work out weekly rather than daily.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't, but I can't see that it would hurt. I don't know about 4000 all in one day though.... I'd have a hard time convincing myself I could pull that off.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    no.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I will be glad if they ever add the weekly average function to the online version.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    No. That's even worse, at the end of your work. All of your work is gone down the drain, IMO. Unless you just happen to be hungry enough to eat all of those calories, you shouldn't eat them. To me, that's a sign of an eating disorder. This is why people become overweight-because they're eating just because food is available.
  • xrayrodgers
    xrayrodgers Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If I have a "cheat day" I feel so much hungrier the next day...my cravings are too strong for me to do that...I mean I do anyway but it sucks!